3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Via Ben Fennell

An older article on Burks and the hybrid position evolution. Versatile guys who can do more than one thing well

https://www.seccountry.com/vanderbilt/film-study-oren-burks-the-latest-in-football-evolution

"The 6-foot-3, 222-pound Burks is a former full-time safety. The Commodores now list him as their “star” linebacker. His task is simple, yet complex: make plays anywhere and everywhere. In this era of spread offenses, defenses are constantly looking for new advantages and ways to adapt. Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason has been at the forefront in thinking up inventive ways to slow down prolific attacks.

The latest advancement is hybrid players. Some are a hybrid safety/linebacker, others are a hybrid linebacker/defensive lineman. They allow defenses to run different fronts and packages without having to substitute. Burks provides Vanderbilt a true rarity: a player who can play at all three levels of the defense."

After seeing that the head coach of Vanderbilt was Derek Mason I immediately thought that it was Derrick Mason and wasn't all that surprised. 

Just watched 2 games of Burks. The tape wasn’t great. He doesn’t take blockers on well, isn’t a great tackler, and doesn’t always diagnose plays well.

He definitely does move well and can cover. His athletic ability flashes. He should help in sub packages and special teams.

More time at the position should benefit him. Also better DL play in front should too.

I am really ticked at myself for missing out on this guy in everything I looked at before the draft. Mostly it’s because I didn’t look hard at ILB, but there were clues everywhere if you look for them now. My guess is the Packers will be sensitive to Jake Ryan’s seniority for a while just to keep things steady in the locker room. But look for special teams and dime package production to earn this kid some serious snaps by December. 

You heard it here worst. 

"The Green Bay Packers didn’t want to wait until Saturday to land their next prospect. The team traded back into the third round to select Oren Burks, a linebacker from Vanderbilt.

Under Ted Thompson, the Packers didn’t invest premium draft capital in off-ball linebackers. Burks’ selection represents a shift under new general manager Brian Gutekunst, who sent the top pick in the fourth round and a fifth-round pick (No. 147 overall) to the Carolina Panthers for the 88th pick.

Burks graded as one of the most athletic players at his position (95th percentile by SPARQ, behind only Matthew Thomas and Leighton Vander Esch in the draft class). Those physical gifts along with his play suggest a rangy linebacker capable of sticking with slot receivers and tight ends in pass coverage. Those types of pass catchers have given Green Bay considerable trouble in recent years, and Burks will receive plenty of chances to earn a role defending them"

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/4/27/17294600/packers-draft-reaction-oren-burks-arrival-could-mean-fewer-linebacker-snaps-for-josh-jones-nfl-2018

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Hawk was an off ball LB. Two 4ths already there vs a late 3, really hard to call this a deviation from Ted's valuation of LB.

I'm not going as far back as Hawks to figure into this conversation....but the article said: "the Packers didn’t invest premium draft capital in off-ball linebackers"

I read that and I think 1st or 2nd rounds - so in that regard, I disagree with the article (and agree with you) that a 3rd still doesnt fit that bill.

Regardless.....I continually call for the GBPs to recognize, target and select talent. Difference makers. I dont know Burks from Adam - but that hardly means anything - so I'm trusting on the organization doing whats necessary to insure this guy fits the bill and gets the job done at a high level. He's certainly got the athletic chops for it. 

A big part of that equation for me is the new DC. The infusion of youth, energy and ACCOUNTABILITY is welcomed by me. Although theres variations on defensive schemes - its a copycat league so I never thought Capers ran some weird/odd designed defense. If anything, I do believe he'd slowed down or had gotten slower than whats required in todays NFL and with todays athletes. So I'm counting on Pettine's fresh approach and hopefully  an "in your face" method will enhance the units performance.

9 hours ago, SSG said:

He's also the same size as Kam Chancellor and like 5 lbs bigger than Obi Melifonwu.  

Not sure Shazier is a great example of an ILB that you'd want as he was never able to stand up to the punishment that ILB presented.  Not only is his NFL career likely over but he missed a substantial amount of time in every NFL season he played in because his body was incapable of withstanding the punishment required from his position.  

Fair statement, but I don't see this kid as an every down player, immediately. You need athletes who can run and this kid fits the bill at ILB. I'm all for double dipping on Griffin too by the way. One hand or not, the kid can play football. 

If Ryan Shazier ISNT done with football - the league should criminally charge and prosecute any team owner that signs him to a contract.

Did you see the way he struggled simply to walk onto the stage? THAT can not be sped up to "NFL levels"  --

No. Way. Possible.

IMO of course.

After reading more on Burks, is he really just a poor man's version of Lorenzo Carter? Fast, athletic, but not big enough to take on blockers? A guy you depend on to guard checkdown receivers, and occasionally scheme him to rush the QB?

Archived