3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

28 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

We don’t like this guy.  Looks like the sort we would like if he has any aptitude for reading coverages and tackling because he’s pretty strong, pretty fast, and a better jumper than other people who try to jump without getting a running start.

Really what I want to know is if we got decent value for the pick.  I want an EDGE as much as everyone else, but if the value wasn’t there you can’t just pick anyone off the pile, can you?

This is Gute’s first go as chess master, so we are all wondering if he’s better at finding value than we are.  It’s interesting that they invited this Burks guy for private workouts.  This is a different year for us.  After a mediocre night’s sleep, I’m good with this.  Let’s get rid of some fifth round picks and find another OL in the fourth, and another Driver off the bench somewhere.

I hope Pettine is smiling.

I'll be honest I hated to pick because I thought we were trading up for Key. Oak  jumped ahead of us got him instead and I was furious. But I've warmed up to the pick now knowing he was the guy they were trading up for. Getting a Dion Jordan type athlete on this defense is very encouraging.

16 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I'm starting to love this pick. Watch his combine drills and the ease of his movement lateral and back peddle. This is the athlete we've never had at ILB. I expect this kid to start by mid-year at the latest. 

It is going to be a lot tougher to expose us in the middle of the field this year. I'm all in if Griffen is there when we pick. Although, WR, EDGE and OL are more pressing needs. 

By the way, BRAD JONES, is the best we can do to announce the pick? Come on man! 

Golf that combine of his was extremely impressive.  Wow.  Then I watched the tape.  He'll need to be developed.  Trying to warm up to him but was underwhelmed watching him play.  Hopefully they got it right.  He might get some spot duty this year.  Expect him to be real good on special teams.  He needs to work on his reads and tackling.  Kid is smart so he's got that going for him.  He'll need to be coached up big time.  One thing he'll excel at is coverage.  Think he's just too raw to start this year.  Kid is a project.  Tell you what an emphasis on pass D.  Think the days of guys running wide open in the middle of the field will be a thing of the past. 

13 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'll be honest I hated to pick because I thought we were trading up for Key. Oak  jumped ahead of us got him instead and I was furious. But I've warmed up to the pick now knowing he was the guy they were trading up for. Getting a Dion Jordan type athlete on this defense is very encouraging.

Key has some serious issues.  Yes the guy could be a terror.  But he could just as easily completely bust out.  As much as I have bagged on Burks I'd rather take a chance on him than Key. One thing Gute said was getting the wiring of the player right.  I agree.  Burks fits Key doesn't.  Think Key is a headcase.  

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

But are you still livid about dropping 4 spots, picking up an extra first next year and only losing what amounts to 101, dropping ten spots in the third round and a fifth round pick in the process? 

Lol why am I always out of footballs!

But are you still livid about dropping 4 spots, picking up an extra first next year and only losing what amounts to 101, dropping ten spots in the third round and a fifth round pick in the process? 

To be fair, like 90% of the forum lost their mind when Gute traded down...

Just now, CWood21 said:

To be fair, like 90% of the forum lost their mind when Gute traded down...

I wasn't on the forum when we traded down in the first (we were watching baseball so we kept going back and forth) but I was pretty bummed when I saw it.  I kept thinking, man!  For the first time in eons we are picking this high and now we moved back down....??  I was very relieved when we moved back up again.

First of all, you are a troll. Secondly, I was PISSED about the amount we gave up with the trade UP in round 1. I stated that pretty clearly, but of course your reading comprehension may be a problem here. I also stated, we need to win now with Rodgers. 

Sorry, if that concept is lost on you, but I even posted an article that stated the trade up we gave up too much value. We got value in the first trade but gave up too much value in the second trade. Of course, none of that has a THING to do with my liking this pick. Now go away! 

Same here on the trades. I was shocked at the trade down, but not pissed. 

I was pissed at the losing of the 3rd to trade back up - because the asset we gained couldn't compensate for it. It created a huge gap at the top of the draft. All based on great expectations of filling some holes. Ironically, we haven't been very diverse in that yet, but hard to argue too much about the selections. Burks remains a bit curious all things considered.

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

First of all, you are a troll. Secondly, I was PISSED about the amount we gave up with the trade UP in round 1. I stated that pretty clearly, but of course your reading comprehension may be a problem here. I also stated, we need to win now with Rodgers. 

Sorry, if that concept is lost on you, but I even posted an article that stated the trade up we gave up too much value. We got value in the first trade but gave up too much value in the second trade. Of course, none of that has a THING to do with my liking this pick. Now go away! 

I just don't understand how anyone can be pissed about giving up equal value on the trade chart for a pick. Are you expecting to fleece everyone?

18 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Easy.  That being said, I'm not sure how you can hate the value that the Packers gave up to move up.  The Packers gave up #27 (680), #76 (210), and #186 (16.6) for #18 (900) and #248 (1).  They didn't give up a 2nd round pick, and it's pretty clear they drafted someone who was at a higher tier than what would be available at 27.  A 3rd is a small price to pay in order to draft in a higher tier.  Recouping a 3rd round pick really isn't that hard all things considered.

3 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Same here on the trades. I was shocked at the trade down, but not pissed. 

I was pissed at the losing of the 3rd to trade back up - because the asset we gained couldn't compensate for it. All based on great expectations of filling some holes. Ironically, we haven't been very diverse in that yet, but hard to argue too much about the selections. Burks remains a bit curious all things considered.

We traded a 3rd for next year's 1st, effectively.

You should be elated.

Archived