3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

3 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

And the WR at the bottom, (is that Tate?) would have gotten at least eight yards too.

By the end of the season, every single one of our blitzes resulted in a dumpster fire. Hope Capers is happy with all his cash

I like his athletic ability but I hope he doesn’t see the field other than in obvious passing downs this year (so just the joe Thomas role). I watched 2 games of him the other day. He was really bad at the basics (took bad angles, didn’t diagnose plays well, bad tackling). He deserved the 41 pff gave him. He's definitely a more fluid athlete  than any of our other lbs and was solid in coverage though. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying I hate this pick, but I definitely wasn't pleased.  I don't like the idea of drafting a situational off-ball LB this early in the draft.  Saying he's an upgrade over Joe Thomas isn't exactly a stretch.  Joe Thomas is the definition of a JAG.  I'm hopeful that he can be more than that, but I'm not optimistic.  I noticed the same thing with regards to instincts.  He gets caught by play action way too much, and while he's got the athleticism to make up for it in college he probably won't get away with that in the NFL.

Thank you for expanding on what I said.  I have a tendency to over-state things here.  I can easily back off of the "hate the pick" statement and slide into "wasn't pleased".

When I looked at any tape of him, besides his highlight reel, I just didn't see the football awareness that I want out of a linebacker.  I can also add that if he is only going to be a sub package guy on passing downs, well, maybe that takes some of the instincts away, as far as finding a ballcarrier goes.  He still needs to gain a feeling for the passing game and I didn't see it in college, doubtful that I'll see it for a while in the pro style passing game.

I can end with this...had he been taken later without a trade up, I'm probably good with the pick.  Hard not to like the size/speed combo he brings.  

11 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

The complexity and quality of players in this scheme will require 2-3 LBs who can play run and pass. 

We have Clay, we have martinez, and now we have burks.

I don't understand how you can complain about this pick.  It's a player type we have never had here in GB.

I can complain about the pick because there were other better players on the board, in my opinion.  I'll elaborate some, just to defend why I'm complaining.

Josh Jones showed more feel for the game around the LOS than I saw Burks have while in college.  He's better up there, Jones that is.  And he's got a year in the league, so he will be better than Burks right away.

In my world, I saw Harrison from 'Bama on the board.  He was my highest rated guy, minus Hurst (injury).  I liked Harrison lining up at safety and allowing Jones to move closer to the LOS in that hybrid role that Burks now has.  I thought that combo would be better than Burks near the LOS and Jones back deep.

And...I'll admit to having a draft crush on Harrison.  I wanted that physical presence back there.  Oh well.

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I can complain about the pick because there were other better players on the board, in my opinion.  I'll elaborate some, just to defend why I'm complaining.

Josh Jones showed more feel for the game around the LOS than I saw Burks have while in college.  He's better up there, Jones that is.  And he's got a year in the league, so he will be better than Burks right away.

In my world, I saw Harrison from 'Bama on the board.  He was my highest rated guy, minus Hurst (injury).  I liked Harrison lining up at safety and allowing Jones to move closer to the LOS in that hybrid role that Burks now has.  I thought that combo would be better than Burks near the LOS and Jones back deep.

And...I'll admit to having a draft crush on Harrison.  I wanted that physical presence back there.  Oh well.

I totally get your argument. A couple things may have swung Gute toward this pick imo. They may have thought his instincts will improve with more time at the position, and it seems like they are placing a much higher emphasis on athleticism which this guy has tons of. It's a bit of a gamble, but so are all draft picks really. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I totally get your argument. A couple things may have swung Gute toward this pick imo. They may have thought his instincts will improve with more time at the position, and it seems like they are placing a much higher emphasis on athleticism which this guy has tons of. It's a bit of a gamble, but so are all draft picks really. 

I feel that you are right.  And?  If I'm being totally fair here, I thought that the lack of instincts was more prevalent against the run.  And if the goal is to have him in on obvious passing downs, then I'm feeling a little better already.  I'd much rather have him dropping into a zone, or covering a TE 1:1 than Martinez.

Wouldn't doubt that we see a package that is Jones and Burks inside.  I can get behind that.  Gonna have some growing pains in there, but the athletic ability would certainly be there.

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Wouldn't doubt that we see a package that is Jones and Burks inside.  I can get behind that.  Gonna have some growing pains in there, but the athletic ability would certainly be there.

That could be a pretty badass pairing on passing downs, especially if either showed a penchant for blitzing. 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:32 PM, thrILL! said:

So much this.

I think there was another post that mentioned Joe Thomas upgrade and also a follow on which said perhaps the poster is hung up on that comparison. He is going to play immediately IMO. It will be a luxury we haven't had at the position someone who can run with receivers, blitz from the inside and bring some lumber. I like this pick a lot.

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That could be a pretty badass pairing on passing downs, especially if either showed a penchant for blitzing. 

My brain tells me if it's a pure enough passing down doesn't it make more sense to just have one guy in there with more of a "dime" look. But then I read the blitzing part. IDK why but I always feel like those kind of things sound great on paper but don't work as well. But the game is obviously changing and has been. Maybe I'm behind the times

12 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

My brain tells me if it's a pure enough passing down doesn't it make more sense to just have one guy in there with more of a "dime" look. But then I read the blitzing part. IDK why but I always feel like those kind of things sound great on paper but don't work as well. But the game is obviously changing and has been. Maybe I'm behind the times

I have no clue what Pettine has in his head, and I'm not the smartest tool in the shed as far as defensive schemes, but I've always liked those sneaky blitzes with safeties and undersized LB's for some reason. CB blitzes too. They just shoot in there and surprise everybody. QB's taken unaware make me laugh. They look like ***** *** kickers about to have a panic attack. 

2 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

FWIW, Deion Jones had a PFF grade in the low 40s, and he's been a revelation at the position in the NFL.

Deion Jones isn't the only safety turned LB. He is just the best one that turned out. A stud athlete with little experience at a position suddenly getting it and becoming an All-Pro is the exception, not the rule.

I hope Burks pans out and becomes a stud. With time he might, but I encourage you to watch some of his tape. You won't feel comfortable with him getting a lot of time right away. 

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Thinking that combo inside on obvious passing downs could also be Matthews and Josh Jones....  

Archived