3rd Round Pick (88th Overall): Oren Burks [LB; Vanderbilt]

CWood21

Just now, Packerraymond said:

I just don't understand how anyone can be pissed about giving up equal value on the trade chart for a pick. Are you expecting to fleece everyone?

I didn't like giving up the 3rd round pick because of the value there this year. Even though I think we got the better end of the deal from NO, I want to win now. We got back into the third round. I'm good with that. I thought we gave up too much to move up in Seattle's spot. I didn't like that trade. 

We solved our CB situation on paper, if the kids can play. We still have a problem at EDGE, but if we can hold up this year with what we've got, next year we would appear to be poised to address that. 

Just now, incognito_man said:

We traded a 3rd for next year's 1st, effectively.

You should be elated.

As some of the pre-draft talk indicated, I was stingy about letting the 2nd or 3rd go. I saw holes that had to be filled now, and every high pick you trade is a hole that doesn't get filled. I hated that 56 pick gap that was created that high up. Next year ? Are we talking next year ? Next year ? Did you say next year ? (that was my Allen Iverson impersonation)

I'm better now

I think you have to view the move up trade as coupled with the move down. GB knew when they took the trade with NO that the second part of that plan was to move back up to get whoever remained in that tier on their board. They liked the value they got from the first trade so much that they could take a hit on the trade back up and still come out on top for their move.

Just now, Cakeshoppe said:

I think you have to view the move up trade as coupled with the move down.

Yep, I was mildly disappointed with the trade at first (bordering on furious myself) until I realized we got the Saints first pick next year.  Then I was bummed.  Once we moved back up, all disappointment turned into being giddy and damn happy.  It was this move that turned me into a believer in Gute.  He went from Gute the Toot to Gute the Great with that grand master chess move.  He probably had discussions with the Seahawks beforehand.  Anybody who wants to argue that's pure speculation, I'm not so sure.  The Seahawks have traded down in the first round each of the past three to four years with maybe one exception. 

3 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yep, I was mildly disappointed with the trade at first (bordering on furious myself) until I realized we got the Saints first pick next year.  Then I was bummed.  Once we moved back up, all disappointment turned into being giddy and damn happy.  It was this move that turned me into a believer in Gute.  He went from Gute the Toot to Gute the Great with that grand master chess move.  He probably had discussions with the Seahawks beforehand.  Anybody who wants to argue that's pure speculation, I'm not so sure.  The Seahawks have traded down in the first round each of the past three to four years with maybe one exception. 

I believed this also. No way he trades back to 27 not knowing he could get back into the teens to get his guy.

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  I asked you a question.  Everyone's a troll if one's sensitivity is off the charts. 

Troll: noun

/trōl/

Someone who calls out people for stupid opinions and makes them nearly cry after

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

I didn't like giving up the 3rd round pick because of the value there this year. Even though I think we got the better end of the deal from NO, I want to win now. We got back into the third round. I'm good with that. I thought we gave up too much to move up in Seattle's spot. I didn't like that trade. 

We solved our CB situation on paper, if the kids can play. We still have a problem at EDGE, but if we can hold up this year with what we've got, next year we would appear to be poised to address that. 

Do you want to win next season too or no?

21 hours ago, Golfman said:

I have a few tangents to go on this. I had a post awhile ago looking at the top pass rushers in the NFL. Most of them were like top 10 picks. If you are relying on a third round pick to fix your pass rush, you aren't going to get a pass rush. I wouldn't freak out about getting rid of a third.

How many impact edge players were drafted this year? Remember, you've been had 5-10 names hyped up to you for 4 months by draft media.  Even with an emphasis of creating pressure and getting to the QB, 32 professional organizations with staffs of professional scouts spoke this weekend and said their were 2 worth taking in round 1 (Chubb and Davenport) and Harold Landry (A guy I loved) had too bad of medicals to take high.

21 hours ago, cannondale said:

As some of the pre-draft talk indicated, I was stingy about letting the 2nd or 3rd go. I saw holes that had to be filled now, and every high pick you trade is a hole that doesn't get filled. I hated that 56 pick gap that was created that high up. Next year ? Are we talking next year ? Next year ? Did you say next year ? (that was my Allen Iverson impersonation)

I'm better now

If you want to be a little more positive, we got a guy that fixes a need for "this year" in Burks, a LB that can defend in space.

Also, once you are too the 4th, you likely aren't getting guys that will help you this year outside special teams and in less than ideal situations (injury driven). If you look at draft classes 5-10 years later, the hit rate on 4ths is pretty low (yes there are exceptions). Lets look at the picks that we traded and who we could have gotten around there

101- Ian Thomas- project TE... next 4- Jaylyn Holmes - project DL, Keke Coutee- project wr which we were able to address later, Nyhim Hines- a RB, Antonio Callaway - troubled WR, would be our 3rd-5th

114- D Shaun Hand- Project DL... next 4 Joel O- project LB, D Armstrong- Project edge, J Whitehead- project small school safety, Anothy Averret- a corner

22 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm better now

I mean, I get not wanting to get rid of a 3rd round pick and if it weren't easily attainable I'd probably agree with you.  But when you're armed with 4.101, you can easily swing back into the 3rd round with that pick.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I get not wanting to get rid of a 3rd round pick and if it weren't easily attainable I'd probably agree with you.  But when you're armed with 4.101, you can easily swing back into the 3rd round with that pick.

It's all good. Gute traded back in, albeit not as high as I had wished. I have no complaints. I was also thinking this morning that the reason behind gathering a couple extra late rounders was to afford the punter and LS. I think Gute said they didn't go into it planning for that but I'm calling him a fibber. Also thought it was hilarious when Nagler said fans had to know what beer was in Gutes fridge. Classic. I think he got a kick out of that

42 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's all good. Gute traded back in, albeit not as high as I had wished. I have no complaints. I was also thinking this morning that the reason behind gathering a couple extra late rounders was to afford the punter and LS. I think Gute said they didn't go into it planning for that but I'm calling him a fibber. Also thought it was hilarious when Nagler said fans had to know what beer was in Gutes fridge. Classic. I think he got a kick out of that

Agreed. I'm also glad we got back into the 3rd. A bit of an odd selection from my perspective - but since I know about an 8th of the players out there - I'm riding with it and watching to see how it plays out.

There were a couple WR's I would have liked.....but having a kick *** and FAST defense would be a pleasure to watch - and I'm hoping thats what we're putting together.

Archived