Day 3 Draft Discussion Thread

goldfishwars

22 hours ago, Crickett said:

So much for putting the Giants full faith in Davis Webb. 

I’m confused at this, there are no guarantees. So you can’t just say, “Here you go Davis, you’re next in line”. We’re you saying the same thing when Pats drafted Brissett in third round when they had Jimmy G?

22 hours ago, lod01 said:

We don't know if Webb is any good because the Giants were being stupid at the end of last season starting a never was in Geno Smith ahead of Webb.

People say this like it would’ve meant anything. It’s a no win situation. Wouldn’t have made a difference?

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

I’m confused at this, there are no guarantees. So you can’t just say, “Here you go Davis, you’re next in line”. 

So, there are a couple of elements to this:

1. Last year I was a big fan of Davis Webb pre-draft.  He was the same kind of height/arm strength project QB guys like Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes are/were but he had a very impressive senior bowl and he was available much later.  I had him rated near or at the top of my QB board and I thought the Giants got a huge steal in him. 

2. Despite reports of the Giants rating Barkley as a "perfect prospect", most of us thought if the Giants stayed at number two they were going to take a quarterback.  If you're at number two and you have a chance at a franchise quarterback, the prevailing wisdom is you gotta take it, even if you have a mid round guy like Webb who could be the answer down the road. 

3. In the first three rounds the Giants passed on a quarterback three times.  They passed on Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen round one and they passed on Mason Rudolph three times in rounds two and three.  So, at the time (and I don't want to dig up the posts), people on this forum were talking about how the Giants must have faith in Davis Webb.  And being the believer in Davis Webb that I am, I sort of low key bragged about that.  

4. Then round four rolls around and the Giants draft Kyle Lauletta.  Now, I think that was actually a value pick for the Giants as well.  They got Lauletta in round four when I didn't think he was going to make it past the Patriots second second-round pick.  But it's not just that the Giants drafted another QB, it's not even that I think they got just as good of value this year as last, it's which QB they drafted.  Kyle Lauletta is basically the polar opposite of Davis Webb.  Webb is a tall big armed QB from Cal who needs time to develop.  Kyle Lauletta on the other hand is a small school QB who kills you in the 5-15 yard short passing game.  My comparison for him was Jimmy Garoppolo.  The fact that the Giants took a QB like that indicates that maybe they don't like what they have in Davis Webb at all and are looking for something very very different. 

Also for reference, I had Kyle Lauletta as my #4 QB this year behind Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold.  I had him ahead of Rudolph pre-draft, but I certainly wouldn't want to get on him having a better career than Rudolph is going to have in Pittsburgh.  Imo, Lauletta's best cast scenario was the Patriots.  Rudolph's best case scenario was the Steelers.  The fact that he went to the Steelers WITH James Washington is what I would call "better than the best case scenario" for him.

1 minute ago, Crickett said:

The fact that the Giants took a QB like that indicates that maybe they don't like what they have in Davis Webb at all and are looking for something very very different. 

No I don’t think it means that at all. They could just like the QB hence why they waited in the 4th for him. Like Gettleman said, the pick could have nothing to do with Eli and Webb while having everything to do with the player who was picked. Just like Pats drafting Brissett isn’t anything to do with Jimmy G. He pushes Webb and lets Webb know that you aren’t just gonna be given the keys just because we didn’t go QB at #2.

8 minutes ago, Crickett said:

3. In the first three rounds the Giants passed on a quarterback three times.  They passed on Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen round one and they passed on Mason Rudolph three times in rounds two and three.  So, at the time (and I don't want to dig up the posts), people on this forum were talking about how the Giants must have faith in Davis Webb.  And being the believer in Davis Webb that I am, I sort of low key bragged about that.  

I think it's unfair to make that comparison.  We're talking about at least a tier (if not multiple tiers) difference between prospects.  Passing on Rosen/Darnold at 2 is significantly different than passing on Rudolph at 34.  The difference between Mason Rudolph and Davis Webb probably isn't as big as the difference between Rosen/Darnold and Webb.  I'd make the argument that the selection of Barkley speaks more to what the Giants felt about Barkley than what they felt about Darnold/Rosen.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's unfair to make that comparison.  We're talking about at least a tier (if not multiple tiers) difference between prospects.  Passing on Rosen/Darnold at 2 is significantly different than passing on Rudolph at 34.  The difference between Mason Rudolph and Davis Webb probably isn't as big as the difference between Rosen/Darnold and Webb.  I'd make the argument that the selection of Barkley speaks more to what the Giants felt about Barkley than what they felt about Darnold/Rosen.

Barring injury, Barkley's gonna be a player and enhance the NYG offense considerably. The OL might not be at road grader levels yet but Barkley's not a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" running back. He's a "give him a window and he can leave you in the dust" kinda runner who will supplement their passing game tremendously.

Although I dont think Eli has much left regards distance throwing - his ability to hand it off or pitch/toss it out to Barkley - from the backfield or in the slot - then just sit back and watch - could add years to his career.

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ozzie makes his last pick as GM

It would be fitting if the guy he picked went on to become a Hall of Famer.  What a great career Ozzie has had.  I'm a Vikings fan and even I will say "thank you, Ozzie."  He did so much for the league.

Archived