Vikings select...Tyler Conklin, TE, Central Michigan

SemperFeist

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t either, but’s it’s interesting that they both went to Michigan schools. 

Grew up 200 miles away from each other.....opposite sides of the oven mitt. Jack over by Kalamazoo, Tyler from north of Detroit.

Conklin was listed at 6-foot-3 and 254 pounds at the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine, where he was one of the most athletic tight ends in Indianapolis.

His 38-inch vertical ranked second among tight ends, his 10-foot broad jump tied for fourth, and his 3-cone drill time of 7.13 seconds was fifth.

He also tied for third in the 20-yard shuttle (4.23 seconds) and was second in the 60-yard shuttle (11.43 seconds). Conklin ran the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds (ninth among tight ends) and bench-pressed 225 pounds 18 times (tied for fifth among tight ends).

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/TE-Tyler-Conklin-Uses-Hoops-Background-Athleticism-on-Gridiron/21be922d-676d-4737-b6e6-3570abdca14f

Conklin started his journey nearly five years ago, leaving a full ride scholarship on the table during the middle of his freshman year at Northwood University in Midland, Mich. He was a backup guard on the basketball team at the time, choosing to pursue that sport after a standout career in high school.

That said, it wasn’t long before Conklin decided he had made the wrong choice.

“After going in and playing basketball for a semester at the college level, I missed (football) so much,” Conklin said. “I watched (NCAA) tight ends and NFL tight ends and it just ended up becoming a dream of mine and it was something I knew I could make happen.”

Conklin ended up transferring to the University of Central Michigan, walking on to the football team with absolutely no guarantee that he’d make the roster.

“It was definitely difficult,” Conklin said of the decision. “I know a lot of people kind of looked at that as not the smartest thing in the world. Obviously, getting a free education and coming out of college with no debt is something not a lot of people get to do. So, throwing that away, and switching sports, and moving up a level, and taking on a dream that probably nobody saw except me, was scary for a lot of people close to me.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/28/tyler-conklin-passes-on-hoop-dreams-earns-shot-with-vikings/

Former CMU receiver Jesse Kroll called Conklin, who is 6-4 and 250 pounds, a freak athlete after the Oklahoma State game. It seems like NFL scouts agree.

“I feel like I’m a mismatch nightmare,” said Conklin of his strength. “I have great hands, a great route runner and I’m a smart player. I feel I can do everything that that position needs to do in today’s game. I can play out wide, play in the slot, block, run routes like a receiver or a tight end.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/25/mac-stars-eager-nfl-shot/34242217/

On 4/29/2018 at 4:27 AM, rpmwr19 said:

Looks like a very engaged blocker in the run from those cut ups too. 

He's been described as a functional blocker, even if it's not his strong suit.  It'll be interesting to see him perform, considering he had the 2nd highest vertical among the TEs at the Combine.  

Watched his game against Kent St this year.  They used him both in line and split out wide.  Seems to play a bit faster than 4.8, although clearly not a 4.5 guy.  Good hands and average route runner.  Could have some difficulty with separation and will need to make contested catches to make a significant impact.  Gives effort as a blocker, and I wouldnt expect him to be any worse than Rudolph in this aspect. 

Archived