2018 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

vike daddy

26 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I think this is a site to discuss the draft, pros and cons,  but some here clearly don't want that.

More like some just don’t like having their opinion challenged, or, you know, taking part of a discussion. 

34 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I don't think anyone is claiming to be smarter, or to be applying for a job. I think this is a site to discuss the draft, pros and cons,  but some here clearly don't want that.

This will always be a place for discussion. That hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

I don’t understand how Conklin was taken too early? He went within his projected area. 

Perhaps I understood what he wrote incorrectly, but it read to me like he thought it was too early because he thinks he is just TE4 on the team. Read like he thought the player may justify being selected there if the team's cupboard was bare at TE and he would be projected as TE2.

For my part, I agree that Conklin is no better than TE3 and might be TE4 on the Vikings at this point. However, I am more of a supporter of BPA to let the position a player will be coming into on the depth chart have as much affect on how I feel about the pick. It does have some though. For instance, this year I would not have drafted a QB in the first round because sans injury they would have no shot at becoming  more than a backup for three year. You just can't invest like that in one position when it is a team sport and you have a limited amount of draft capital.

5 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Um... yeah, he mostly definitely needs strength.  He's not a technically raw player. His technique is actually quite good, especially when you factor in his limited time in the position.  His problem is core and lower body strength.

Exactly.

He'll get bull rushed all day.

Bradley Chubb walked him back to the QB several times.

2 hours ago, Boda said:

- I was never high on Hughes & Josh Jackson(Packers) think I even said so pre draft in one of the threads. 

Can I ask what you don't like about Hughes? I didn't think corner was a need but if you're drafting a CB at #30, he seems like a good pick based on his stats and his highlights at least. Does he make a lot of mistakes if you watch full games?

23 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

Exactly.

He'll get bull rushed all day.

Bradley Chubb walked him back to the QB several times.

Good thing he has the pleasure of going up against the strongest DE in the league this summer for plenty of practice reps. 

Stop being so pessimistic. It’s a lot easier to have a prospect gain strength and muscle with a nfl conditioning program than to re-train their footwork. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

More like some just don’t like having their opinion challenged, or, you know, taking part of a discussion. 

Challenge the position all you want.... Saying people thinking they are so smart the owner should see their resume isn't about the position at all. It's a straw man attack, and an appeal to authority. 

25 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Challenge the position all you want.... Saying people thinking they are so smart the owner should see their resume isn't about the position at all. It's a straw man attack, and an appeal to authority. 

When people speak in absolutes on a subject where there are no absolutes. Those types of positions are going to challenged, and rightfully so, to an authority. 

And even appeals to authority can be challenged, themselves. 

I don't have a lot of time to respond tonight but I'll get to you guys in the morning and for the record I'd love to have my resume checked for better or worse I stand behind how I see things.  With that said I have no problem admitting fault when Im wrong.

9 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Perhaps I understood what he wrote incorrectly, but it read to me like he thought it was too early because he thinks he is just TE4 on the team. Read like he thought the player may justify being selected there if the team's cupboard was bare at TE and he would be projected as TE2.

For my part, I agree that Conklin is no better than TE3 and might be TE4 on the Vikings at this point. However, I am more of a supporter of BPA to let the position a player will be coming into on the depth chart have as much affect on how I feel about the pick. It does have some though. For instance, this year I would not have drafted a QB in the first round because sans injury they would have no shot at becoming  more than a backup for three year. You just can't invest like that in one position when it is a team sport and you have a limited amount of draft capital.

I don’t understand why he would be TE3 or 4 either. So, I guess I don’t understand either side of the argument. Blake Bell is just a guy who takes up a roster spot, nothing special.  David Morgan is more of a true, in-line Y, so he and Conklin play the same position in name only. Conklin is more of a J, and Rudolph is the combination player who can play in-line and split. 

The Eagles, under DeFillipo has three TEs with at least ten catches last year (and a touchdown). If I were to slot the guys on our roster into those slots...

Kyle Rudolph - Zach Ertz (combo player that can move around)

Tyler Conklin - Trey Burton (we did try to sign Burton, J-TE, more of a pure receiving threat)

David Morgan - Brent Celek (true in-line Y)

EAGLES STATS AT THOSE POSTIONS

Combo: 74-824-8

J: 23-248-5

Y: 13-130-1

——

we know that DeFillipo likes multiple TE sets and that the J-TE is well utilized (and something we don’t have on roster), we know that Kirk Cousins passer rating goes up with multiple TEs on the field, and tight ends are among the most versatile contributors on special teams (both blocking and cover units). How is that not worth a 5th round pick when that’s where the player picked was expected to go?

It is not as simple as stacking them 1, 2, 3, and 4 with a position as multifaceted as Tight End. We didn’t select a third or fourth tight end, we selected our potential #1 J-TE after failing to sign one in free agency. 

I'm glad we added more depth and youth in the trenches, because we needed that. I'm glad we added value at corner because we needed that too (Newman is almost 40 and the jury's still out on Alexander as a viable starter). And I'm glad we added a kicker because Forbath was not going to be a long-term option. Or was I the only one tired of getting heartburn every time we lined up for an extra point kick?

I don't particularly care what the dozens of analysts or millions of non-analysts have to say about our draft class. I'll probably read goldfishwars' annual draft thread just because it's fun, but ultimately the draft itself has never been a big draw for me. (This year marks the first time I've bothered to watch any of it on TV.) The only thing that matters is how these prospects develop. Until then, optimism is healthier than the alternative, and Rick Spielman has earned my trust as a fan.

I think we'll have the most (near most) players on the 53 unit that was selected from this past weekend. I can see potentially 11 players, but yes most of them will be depth guys for the coming season, but that's expected when you have a strong roster.

It's also a product of a solid additions who are hopefully versatile & also a product of setting up the roster to have very very cheap depth guys, so the big boys get the money (middle guys we walk away from Robison, Sherels, Kai, Newman?). There is also a long term mind set where the players selected are at positions where we might have needs in the future. We didn't address our biggest weakness, with a guy ready to start completely, but everything else was alright.

Archived