2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

If an OL is the best player available you take him. As Belichick once said:

"I dont understand drafting for need. If you reach for a lesser guy because of need there is no assurance he pans out. Then you are right were you started" <== Paraphrased. 

In the scenario that we do grab a RT... That ends up saving us ~$10m/yr we would have to pay Collins + we get a comp pick + we get to strengthen and train the dude for a year. 

Ok, I agree with this in principle, but then why even discuss the draft?

Someone made the argument that we should target OT as our top need, which I disagree with. Especially when it’s a position that players get overdrafted and other areas of great need tend to fall in the draft.

Regardless of anything, the Cowboys clearly have a plan going in around what positions they are looking to fill. They bring those guys in for visits. They are willing to trade up to land one if the position is thinning out.

If you get to your pick and OT is the best player and you can’t trade out, then by all means, I’m fine with that pick. But I highly disagree with the notion that it’s the most ideal scenario.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

I consider the first three rounds to be premium picks. I know that we’ve always disagreed on that.

To each his own. I consider only 1st round picks as premium. Though our 1st pick is a 2nd rounder so I suppose that's up for debate lol.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Ok, I agree with this in principle, but then why even discuss the draft?

Someone made the argument that we should target OT as our top need, which I disagree with. Especially when it’s a position that players get overdrafted and other areas of great need tend to fall in the draft.

Regardless of anything, the Cowboys clearly have a plan going in around what positions they are looking to fill. They bring those guys in for visits. They are willing to trade up to land one if the position is thinning out.

If you get to your pick and OT is the best player and you can’t trade out, then by all means, I’m fine with that pick. But I highly disagree with the notion that it’s the most ideal scenario.

Thats a fair point. And I am all for the conversation. I just dont think we should ignore a position because we wont use him for a year. 

We werent supposed to use LVE for a year either. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats a fair point. And I am all for the conversation. I just dont think we should ignore a position because we wont use him for a year. 

If anything, Dallas is notorious for trying to draft a replacement to big $ players in the hopes of keeping their powder dry - in part I think that is why Witten's retirement was such a shocker.

17 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

If anything, Dallas is notorious for trying to draft a replacement to big $ players in the hopes of keeping their powder dry - in part I think that is why Witten's retirement was such a shocker.

Going to make this 2nd round pick interesting considering the players we have coming up due to hit free agency in 2020. 

Anyone thinking Dallas may not need a STUD TE because of our 3 man committee of Swaim, Shultz and Jarwin is wishful thinking at best. Maybe Jarwin will develop and become a quality player one day. But I rather not take the chance and pass on a opportunity to get a solid prospect. And based on what everyone is saying, there should be a good one available when we draft.

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I’m not asking to ignore it, certainly. I also view the LVE pick slightly differently because a) he actually could play a few snaps as a backup (unlike OL), and b) the guy he was potentially replacing was old.

I agree that I wouldn’t ignore OT. But I wouldn’t make it a priority either.

I just think over the past 8 games I have little to complain about our TE okay yes that’s a small sample size but ...

I also can unederstand the argument Red Beard comes back next year  and with how well the interior played we will have plenty of depth     But too me Smith at LT is a huge worry if he plays well In the play offs okay them but he was one of the worst performs on our OL last couple of games he played    I really want a upgrade replacement for him steady tongobsinner then later and history says you neeed at least a 2nd rounder level talent

ive also heard a lot of complaint about Wilson and Lee is not a solid replavent for Wilson    So we will need solid help here 

And do we trust want Heath another year or two ...   I would love to improve him

all those I put higher need them TE that can if the past few weeks are any indication get us 70-80 yards a game with depth going forward 

10 minutes ago, quiller said:

I just think over the past 8 games I have little to complain about our TE okay yes that’s a small sample size but ...

I also can unederstand the argument Red Beard comes back next year  and with how well the interior played we will have plenty of depth     But too me Smith at LT is a huge worry if he plays well In the play offs okay them but he was one of the worst performs on our OL last couple of games he played    I really want a upgrade replacement for him steady tongobsinner then later and history says you neeed at least a 2nd rounder level talent

ive also heard a lot of complaint about Wilson and Lee is not a solid replavent for Wilson    So we will need solid help here 

And do we trust want Heath another year or two ...   I would love to improve him

all those I put higher need them TE that can if the past few weeks are any indication get us 70-80 yards a game with depth going forward 

my fingers crossed that will be E Thomas.

9 hours ago, quiller said:

You are right. The TE play over the past several weeks has been quality in a league that has really struggled with TE play. But, yes, it is a small sample size, and this could be an all-time TE class. So that needs to be considered here. 

9 hours ago, quiller said:

Tyron Smith is a 4x All-Pro, 6x Pro Bowler who just turned 28 who has 5 seasons left on his contract and a totally reasonable cap hit for his talent level. Spending a 2nd round pick on insurance for him is picking a player you literally hope is a career backup. You can pick LVE because you know Sean Lee's shelf life is short. We don't know/think that about Tyron. You can only draft a tackle if your plan is to replace La'El in a year.

Still think WR is a much bigger need than people are expecting.

Yes we have Cooper and Gallup. But I expect Beasley to go elsewhere. Which, is fine, I guess if Cooper plays the slot. But then we need another guy for the outside. Then we have question-mark with Austin if he returns. So our top 3 WRs may be Cooper / Gallup / Brown. Which, while not bad, isn't ideal either.

38 minutes ago, D82 said:

I think so long as his injury checks out, Thomas to Dallas is a guarantee.

I think its less likely now that Woods has played the FS well. Thomas and Woods are both FS, neither a SS.

2 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Still think WR is a much bigger need than people are expecting.

Yes we have Cooper and Gallup. But I expect Beasley to go elsewhere. Which, is fine, I guess if Cooper plays the slot. But then we need another guy for the outside. Then we have question-mark with Austin if he returns. So our top 3 WRs may be Cooper / Gallup / Brown. Which, while not bad, isn't ideal either.

You forgot Terrance Williams. 

Archived