2019 NFL Draft Prospects

D82

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

No, it really doesn’t. Getting to a Super Bowl requires much more than that. A Safety is not going to be one of the catalsyts to get us to a Super Bowl. Better QB play and better coaching will. Quincy needs to play better, and Red Ball and Linehan (or whoever the OC is) need to do a better job. That, coupled with strong defensive play overall (which we already have), a strong running game, reliable o-line, and a TON of luck/favorable bounces, is what gets you there. Safety play is not high on the list of things to get you to a SB. Hell, it’s barely on the list.

Ronnie Lott was not the reason why SF made so many Super Bowls.

Ed Reed was not the reason why Baltimore won the Super Bowl.

Darren Woodson was not the reason why we won three in the 90s (even with James Washington posting an amazing game in one of them).

None of the Safeties are why New England won any of their Super Bowls.

Name any of the Safeties on the last two Green Bay Super Bowl squads.

Steve Atwater wasn’t the reason why Denver won a Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh didn’t win 6 Super Bowls because of the Safety play.

Name the Safeties on the 85 Bears.

Other than the 85 Bears, what was the main constant? Solid QB play and great coaching.

Isn't this what safety play is supposed to accomplish? They're free range defenders who are supposed to make plays on the ball. Not all turnovers are flukes. Plus, can't you do this with any position besides QB? Plenty of All-Pro offensive linemen and pass rushers never won anything.

I love what we have in Woods, and I certainly think it's worth questioning what it would mean to be the only team willing to pay Thomas' asking price in a league where virtually anyone can create $40M+ in cap space. But I don't think spending a Day 2 pick on the position would be ridiculous by any stretch. That second safety spot is pretty easily our weakest, and maybe only weak spot on defense right now.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Isn't this what safety play is supposed to accomplish? They're free range defenders who are supposed to make plays on the ball. Not all turnovers are flukes. Plus, can't you do this with any position besides QB? Plenty of All-Pro offensive linemen and pass rushers never won anything.

I love what we have in Woods, and I certainly think it's worth questioning what it would mean to be the only team willing to pay Thomas' asking price in a league where virtually anyone can create $40M+ in cap space. But I don't think spending a Day 2 pick on the position would be ridiculous by any stretch. That second safety spot is pretty easily our weakest, and maybe only weak spot on defense right now.

The point was that no team is just a Safety away from a Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

The point was that no team is just a Safety away from a Super Bowl.

Fair, but I don’t think any team is ever one player away, besides maybe QB. Roster construction is generally a 3-4 year process and internal improvement has more to do with upward team trajectory than offseason additions do.

Even teams that are a “QB away” are usually S.O.L., because as hard as it is to find a difference maker at that position, it’s exponentially harder when your roster is too talented to bottom out.

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I've been behind on everything a bit lately.

Which does everyone think would be more helpful? A tight end or a bigger JuJu Smith-Schuster type of slot receiver? Assuming all things are equal, and there are guys with nearly identical grades available in the 2nd round at TE and WR, which direction do you lean and why?

36 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

A team may not be one player away, but don't underestimate what one player can do for a team. Just look at what Cooper did for Dak and our offense. And imagine what ET could do for our already great defense

I’m not underestimating it. But I’m not a believer that a soon-to-be 30 year old player coming off of a broken leg will make us an immediate Suler Bowl contender just because he shows up. That’s terribly naive.

10 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I've been behind on everything a bit lately.

Which does everyone think would be more helpful? A tight end or a bigger JuJu Smith-Schuster type of slot receiver? Assuming all things are equal, and there are guys with nearly identical grades available in the 2nd round at TE and WR, which direction do you lean and why?

I guess you have to ask yourself how you feel about our current group. 

Swaim put up decent numbers and if Jarwin can be sort of that Travis Kelce/Zach Ertz kind of weapon at TE we should be ok there.

I don't see Williams or Beasley back at this point and I think Hurns is a likely cut as well. So that leaves us with Cooper, Gallup, Austin (who I think we re-sign), and Noah Brown. Most of us expect Dak to (hopefully) improve with better coaching, so maybe that fixes some of the connection issues with Gallup - who should have had quite a few big plays downfield. Knowing this - do you still spend a high pick on either of those two positions?

30 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

In a situation like that, you’re in a tradeoff/best value situation, so I’d ask myself these questions:

1. If I draft the TE, will I be able to find a WR later in the draft with superior value compared to the other remaining TEs?

2. If I draft the WR, will I be able to find a TE later in the draft with superior value compared to the other remaining WRs?

3. Does either position represent the BPA regardless of position?

4. Are there other positions with superior prospects compared to TE or WR?

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

If we let Beasley walk, I would lean WR over TE. However, I would rather see us take a deep threat on the perimeter like Hollywood and have Cooper play the slot.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:41 PM, flyingmonkey30 said:

Give me the tight end.

Up until Jarwin’s game this weekend, TE was widely seen as our worst position group. We’ve invested quite a bit in the WR group, and it’s looking strong for next year, even if we lose Cole. If Jarwin carries us through the playoffs, then maybe we can revisit. Otherwise, all things being equal, I’ll take the TE.

That said, I want best weapon for Dak on the board. If the WR is better, I’ll take him. This TE class is deep, one will be available later. 

Archived