2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah i agree with that which is why i like him more in a cover 2 type scheme but who knows what we will run this year with the addition of Joe Woods and Kris Kocurek. In terms of Instincts and football IQ no doubt Hooker is a great addition to any team. I would rate him about the same i did Justin Reid last year and he went in the 3rd but to me had a late 1st value.

Reid performed like a 1st round caliber player last year. Was so stupid to see him drop the way he did and you have to wonder if part of it was due to what the league thought about his brother.

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Reid performed like a 1st round caliber player last year. Was so stupid to see him drop the way he did and you have to wonder if part of it was due to what the league thought about his brother.

Who knows would be stupid if that was the reason but it could be. I think safety also is such a strange position in the draft. Always feels like the position that has the most suprises in both guys that get drafted way early or way late. 

10 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah i agree with that which is why i like him more in a cover 2 type scheme but who knows what we will run this year with the addition of Joe Woods and Kris Kocurek. In terms of Instincts and football IQ no doubt Hooker is a great addition to any team. I would rate him about the same i did Justin Reid last year and he went in the 3rd but to me had a late 1st value.

Also, I actually like to have safeties that are interchangeable in their roles. Hooker to me can't just be a pure single high safety, but don't think that's what his role would be anyways. Just a very sound all around player.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Who knows would be stupid if that was the reason but it could be. I think safety also is such a strange position in the draft. Always feels like the position that has the most suprises in both guys that get drafted way early or way late. 

I just know Kiper and the crew had him as a late 1st rounder and the consensus was at worst mid-2nd rounder but he fell all the way to the 3rd. Hell of a steal for the Texans.

I know Ward with his injury history has been disappointing, but I always thought the best way to use him was to use him like how Honey Badger is used. His best ball came in 2015 towards the latter half of the season when he played nickel and was used in multiple different ways, including being used as a blitzer. He is a VERY good tackler despite his frame and I think the closer he is to the LOS the better. Everyone wants him to be a FS and he will get his shot this offseason, but I don't think that's where he is best at.

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Also, I actually like to have safeties that are interchangeable in their roles. Hooker to me can't just be a pure single high safety, but don't think that's what his role would be anyways. Just a very sound all around player.

I just know Kiper and the crew had him as a late 1st rounder and the consensus was at worst mid-2nd rounder but he fell all the way to the 3rd. Hell of a steal for the Texans.

I know Ward with his injury history has been disappointing, but I always thought the best way to use him was to use him like how Honey Badger is used. His best ball came in 2015 towards the latter half of the season when he played nickel and was used in multiple different ways, including being used as a blitzer. He is a VERY good tackler despite his frame and I think the closer he is to the LOS the better. Everyone wants him to be a FS and he will get his shot this offseason, but I don't think that's where he is best at.

I like the idea of the 4-3 under cover 3 scheme we run but when you look at what you need for it to succeed i don't think it is all that great. When Seattle started doing it they where succesfull because the pieces you need for the scheme to work where pretty cheap to get because they where looking for other guys than the rest of the league. Now with so many teams running a version of it those guys are more in demand and pushing the value up. With a scheme like Fangio runs you need talent but most guys don't have to have a specific skillset. I hope the influences of Woods and Kocurek will change our defense to a certain level where we are more flexible and have more diversity in what we run. 

Yeah Reid was an absolute steal for the Texans.

Ward to me has been good when he played but he has just had so many injuries that you really have to question if he will ever stay healthy. Really wish he would just stay healthy for once but really don't get my hopes up he ever will.

38 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I'm really wondering if we don't drop in a considerably higher number of cover two snaps this year, tbh

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Can the Cardinals just draft QW force us not draft him lol

Really would be best case scenario. The #2 pick would increase greatly in value for a QB trade spot.. and if no trade? Bosa is a win there too!

14 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I like the idea of the 4-3 under cover 3 scheme we run but when you look at what you need for it to succeed i don't think it is all that great.

Eh, sure wasn't last season. This time around, adding Bosa and then ChaunceyGJ can go a long way into making the scheme successful. Not bangin' the table for it either, and we'll be in Nickel a ton anyway. 

Just now, oldman9er said:

Eh, sure wasn't last season. This time around, adding Bosa and then ChaunceyGJ can go a long way into making the scheme successful. Not bangin' the table for it either, and we'll be in Nickel a ton anyway. 

Huh? 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm really wondering if we don't drop in a considerably higher number of cover two snaps this year, tbh

Honestly i want us to run more different looks. Not only cover 2 or cover 3 but mix those with other coverages so you can actually suprise an offense instead of just outperforming them.

10 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Huh? 

Not sure where the disconnect between us is. 

You suggested that we don't have what it takes to run a 43 Under. 

I responded by suggesting that an added Bosa, CGJ, and really.. the other additions made (Kwon and Dee).. 

That would be a big part of what can make us now have.. what it takes.. to run the scheme. 

Just now, oldman9er said:

Not sure where the disconnect between us is. 

You suggested that we don't have what it takes to run a 43 Under. 

I responded by suggesting that an added Bosa, CGJ, and really.. the other additions made (Kwon and Dee).. 

That would be a big part of what can make us now have.. what it takes.. to run the scheme. 

I wasn't specifically talking about our team and how far we are from having the pieces need. 

Just was talking about the scheme in general so i didn't really get the first part of your post in comparison with what i posted. I agree we are close to having the pieces we need to succeed but there still are some question marks even when we add another edge and a centerfielder. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Geez, what a crime it would be to drafting arguably the best player in the draft!! Oh the horror!!!!!

The real crime would passing on arguably the best player in the draft (Bosa) who happens to play a position of need in favor of selecting someone at a position where there is already a logjam of guys, including two former first rounders (and 1 at #3 overall).

16 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Watched Albert Breer periscope he expects Murray to go one and Bosa to go two. He says the real draft will start at 3. 

Also can someone like this so I hit 1000 likes lol

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Cardinals went with QW at 1 and we took Bosa at 2. That would make the top of the draft REAL entertaining. 

Archived