2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

27 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So you're saying McG was a reach?? In what way excatly? Maybe the position, in terms of needs at the time. Not the talent tho...

McG was very much a reach on draft day based on him being a mid to end of the first prospect. Now yes he turned out. I know we have heard Raiders where going to draft him next. Both teams where drafting for need of a tackle and both reached on a tackle. Luckily for us we drafted the first and best one of the draft.

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

McG was very much a reach on draft day based on him being a mid to end of the first prospect. Now yes he turned out. I know we have heard Raiders where going to draft him next. Both teams where drafting for need of a tackle and both reached on a tackle. Luckily for us we drafted the first and best one of the draft.

Meh, I guess we have different definitions of 'reach'. To me a reach is when you draft a kid a round or two ahead of where most project him to go or where his perceived talent dictates. McG for all intents and purposes was regard as the best OT in the draft and was slated to go anywhere from 10 to the middle 20's. I saw several mocks that had him going to AZ. I vaguely recall one that had him going to the Bears. My point is him going anywhere inside the top 20, I wouldn't consider a reach. In comparison, I feel Pettis was a definite reach. Most had him going no earlier than the 4th and some had him as a late round guy. And there were several of us(myself included) that felt like there were better prospects at the position still on the board when he was chosen.  

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

So you're saying McG was a reach?? In what way excatly? Maybe the position, in terms of needs at the time. Not the talent tho...

I have to agree with this... From everything that was said during the draft last year if we hadn't have picked him he would have gone very shortly after our pick.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

I have to agree with this... From everything that was said during the draft last year if we hadn't have picked him he would have gone very shortly after our pick.

100%. When we look back on McG's career, we will see a guy who played and started for 10 years and was an anchor on the line and very reliable. Maybe a pro-bowl or two, but just a dependable, team captain type guy. These are the kinds of players that teams want. Yeah, Aldon was fun and straight-up dominant....for a portion of his rookie contract. McG will see a huge extension and live up to the money he receives. 

I was very critical of this pick on draft night, but it didn't take long at all for me to switch my tune on him. I wanted flash last year in the first, but what we got is a high-character, dependable day-one starter. I'm good with that.

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Any chance Niners would pass on Bosa for non football related reasons? Tweeting San Francisco looks like a third world country, saying he loves Donald Trump, liking tweets of White Nationalism, calling Kaepernick a clown, saying Black Panther is the one of the worst movie's he's seen, etc.

You're late to the party. That's already been hashed out in the Draft Forum.

For the most part, most teams allow players to have their opinions. Where Kaep went wrong was not being good enough to stay on a roster. He's an athlete and a good one, but he doesn't have the mental attributes or discipline needed to be a good QB. The political activism was not the only issue with him.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Some teams have ended up taking Sweat off their draft boards because of the heart condition according to some rumors. Seems like its 4 teams. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000001026976/Rap-Garafolo-Sweat-off-four-teams-draft-boards

Interesting. I thought this was deemed a non-issue a while back. Maybe it's a bigger issue than what we were led to believe?

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Some teams have ended up taking Sweat off their draft boards because of the heart condition according to some rumors. Seems like its 4 teams. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000001026976/Rap-Garafolo-Sweat-off-four-teams-draft-boards

#BurnsBetter anyways. 

But I thought the heart issue was very minor and he got the green light from team doctors at the combine? Then again, every time has different standards. I mean I know if it was in the past, he would definitely be on our draft board with the team doctors yelling, "WHAT HEART ISSUE???" lol.

34 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Interesting. I thought this was deemed a non-issue a while back. Maybe it's a bigger issue than what we were led to believe?

It was cleared earlier. He was allowed to participate in the combine. They  usually they won't let you compete in the combine if it's a bigger issue (it's happened in the past). My guess is that this is just certain teams being extremely cautious. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

#BurnsBetter anyways. 

But I thought the heart issue was very minor and he got the green light from team doctors at the combine? Then again, every time has different standards. I mean I know if it was in the past, he would definitely be on our draft board with the team doctors yelling, "WHAT HEART ISSUE???" lol.

#mehstilllikehowsweatcouldtranslatetothenextlevelmore lol

Yeah, I think it's a team by team thing. In general, it was cleared. I agree that it's likely a team by team standards issue. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I think it's a team by team thing. In general, it was cleared. I agree that it's likely a team by team standards issue. 

What a hashtag.

I also like Sweat more. I love his size and athletism more than Burns. I'm really concerned with Burns' play weight and the fact that he may drop back down into the 220's. If trade back happened within the top 10, I hope Sweat is our guy.

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

You're late to the party. That's already been hashed out in the Draft Forum.

For the most part, most teams allow players to have their opinions. Where Kaep went wrong was not being good enough to stay on a roster. He's an athlete and a good one, but he doesn't have the mental attributes or discipline needed to be a good QB. The political activism was not the only issue with him.

Lol let this issue die. Cuz we all know that was not the reason. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Love that hashtag! If they cleared him at the Combine, I see no issue with it.

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

What a hashtag.

I also like Sweat more. I love his size and athletism more than Burns. I'm really concerned with Burns' play weight and the fact that he may drop back down into the 220's. If trade back happened within the top 10, I hope Sweat is our guy.

I see more in Sweat to translate to the NFL than Burns. Burns is smooth, fast and technically sound, but where is the power? Sweat has length, speed, some power and has been improving his technique already in the draft process.

I really hope the bolded happens. I want both more picks and Sweat on our D.

Honestly not the biggest Sweat fan. I think i would go Ferrell before i go either Burns or Sweat. Sweat will be a higher pick because of the combine but honestly i would prefer to bet on a guy like Joe Jackson in the third over Sweat at the back end of the top 10.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

You don't know a top notch pass rusher when you see one!!!!! 

Archived