2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

As fans of the team we get so caught up in making draft picks to entertain us that we lose sight in actually improving this team. As the last 2 trades have suggested...lol

I know it's boring to talk about but staying put at #2 and drafting Bosa is the only move. Now if Arz takes Bosa...all options are on the table. 

10 minutes ago, sherm said:

As fans of the team we get so caught up in making draft picks to entertain us that we lose sight in actually improving this team. As the last 2 trades have suggested...lol

I know it's boring to talk about but staying put at #2 and drafting Bosa is the only move. Now if Arz takes Bosa...all options are on the table. 

I agree. I don’t see us trading down. If Bosa is there, which is looking likely, he should be the pick as you said. If Arizona surprises us and takes Bosa, Quinnen Williams should be the pick. 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:00 PM, the-catch said:

say we trade 2 w/ the Giants at 6/17. what are your thoughts of picking DK at either spots?? 6 probably too high w/ more pressing needs but I'd be down if he lasts to 17

I've said this in other areas, but I don't think the Giants are moving up at all in this draft. Giving up 17 makes the OBJ trade even worse in my opinion, and they already lack a third (though they have a ton of other late picks). I think they sit tight and take the best pass rusher at 6 if Haskins is unavailable, or go with Haskins if he is there. I think that they are trying to avoid trading up into the top 5. 

I also think pick three is the magic number for trades, not two. I think the Jets really want to move down, while I think it would take a haul to get us away from Bosa and Williams (and maybe unavailable for Bosa). 

Lastly, i don't know if Metcalf is shanny's type of receiver to spend that high of a selection on. His weakness are the things that shanny covets. DK is very linear.

All my opinion of course, just how I read the landscape

12 hours ago, oldman9er said:

A redzone post in the Mathews Thread made me think of a resource I looked over a short time ago. There may be better sources for it, but I found this to be informative on the WRs...

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/prospect-profile/2019-nfl-draft-wr-stats-report

Stop the press! That little gem of an article is rather enlightening. Of course, it helps that my fave WR in this draft came up #1 overall in the metrics they use...B|  Really would be excited if the 9ers did take him.

1 hour ago, sherm said:

I would be very very happy with Bosa...and I agree the last two trades posted wouldnt do it for me to pass on him. But in this draft with the edge talent available, an insane RG3/Ryan Leaf type trade would be an easy decision. What if Q.Williams goes #1 overall and Murray drives the amount of suitors even higher? probably unlikely but i've seen crazier things. 

Take a look at the 2016 draft with Joey Bosa (Nick's consensus comp though he has slightly worse measurables) if you had the option to take just Joey Bosa vs a Jalen Ramsey/Deforest Buckner plus a couple future 1's and top 100 picks I think most would take the latter every time. 

IMO Nick Bosa has been hyped since he was in HS as the future #1 pick but as these 3 years have gone by the gap between him his draft-classmates has decreased substantially. 

3 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:
4 hours ago, sherm said:

I agree. I don’t see us trading down. If Bosa is there, which is looking likely, he should be the pick as you said. If Arizona surprises us and takes Bosa, Quinnen Williams should be the pick. 

No love for Josh Allen? @sherm

The guy has all the tools. He is long with a good frame and very quick. Was lanky growing up but has really filled out his frame with more room to add muscle without too much trouble, I would think. 

He has elite bend. I think that is getting overlooked here. He is extremely quick and has bend. The combination of those two things with length is extremely rare

He is very versatile. He can play in space very well and we can ask him to drop into zone. He wraps up and uses fundamental technique when tackling in space. He breaks down his hips and sees what he hits. He is someone I feel confident would be able to get Russel Wilson on the ground in the future. 

I like the fact he was an everydown player. I like the fact he was the best defensive player they had on that team, because you knew offensive coaches were going to start the gameplan with him. He saw a lot of different things, and he did get doubled fairly often in the run game and for the most part he held his own and made a lot of TFLs etc. 

He basically already played the SAM role at kentucky. He was essentially a 3-4 OLB. If he would have been soley used as a pass rusher he might have slightly more refined pass rushing technique. He is not a finished product, but I wouldnt call him 'raw'. he does have good hand usage, leverage, and does have some pretty good pass rushing moves. 

He uses his speed and length to get into guys and make them start reaching for him, then he counters with the rip and clears the OL hands from in front of him and bends/explodes to get the corner. Thats why you see a lot of his highlights be speed moves to the outside. You might watch highlights and think he only knows how to get upfield and run the corner with speed moves. What you dont see is the fact he forced the OLman to reach for him on a previous play. That is a huge part of the equation. The outside rush IS his counter move to the length he has. Its what will make him able to rush the passer against the elite OTs, the combination of length, quickness and bend that he possesses. 

He does need to add more pass rushing moves. There is no question that the guy has room to grow. The ceiling he has is basically Von Miller

I would like to see him develop a spin move back to the inside, or maybe some other ways to shed OLmen once he gets locked up (which happens to everyplayer in the history of football tbh). That is something you can teach, and it seems like the guy is very coachable too. He improved every year he played college football and played in the SEC. That also means something. 

The versatility is a major plus as well. He could play two positions for us, SAM and LEO. That is huge imo. Having a good SAM who can rush the passer and play coverage would give Saleh an amazing tool to utilize with some zone blitz concepts. 

I like Bosa. No one is disputing the fact that his floor is basically a probowler. Being a sure thing is very valuable. The only problem with Bosa is that he was a situational player who rotated a lot and then did not stay healthy. The injury history makes Bosa more of a risk than people care to admit. Everyone says that he carries some of the least risk in the last few years at the top of the draft. I would say thats fair. He is a technician who has been training like an NFL player for a long time. he translates really well. 

If you are going to take risk, I would rather have more reward on the back end of it. Allen undoubtedly has a higher ceiling. I am hoping this is the last time we draft in the top 10, I want to try and land a generational talent and I see that as Allen. 

what say you @oldman9er

3 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

IMO Nick Bosa has been hyped since he was in HS as the future #1 pick but as these 3 years have gone by the gap between him his draft-classmates has decreased substantially.

because he is already already as good as he will be. I there isnt a whole lot for him to work on, which is great but also confusing lol 

you would think it would be harder to quantify a player who is improving and has room to grow. You would think the guy that is already exactly who he will be, would be easy to assess value. It doesnt feel that way. The fact its known who he is, limits the upside of what he could be. Thats all we are drafting for, what a guy might be, not who a guy is today. 

Today, bosa is the better player. But what about in 5 years?

I think Bosa ends up as a Raider. With everyone and their mother talking about how excited they are for the raiders and how it was basically a steal because 'hes the best player in this draft'. I dont see it that way

I think it goes:

ARI - Murray

SF - Allen

NYJ - Williams

LVR - Bosa

I think the Raiders are praying Murray goes #1 because it means one of Bosa, Allen, or Williams will be there at #4. I dont see any teams trading, other than Arizona maybe which would certainly shake things up. I really dont know who would make that jump. It doesnt make sense for any team to jump up that high to get anyone.

The new wave GMs are all trying to accumulate more picks. There wont be a king's ransom for anyone in this draft, because the top guys are all DLman and its a deep positional group. Most GMs will think they can get a guy later than they could have in previous years because someone good will fall. I mean look at Ed Oliver. That guy had an amazing Sophmore year and then just did what bosa did basically and focused on getting drafted. No shame in that tbh, theres too much money at stake to risk it while playing for free, but the guy is basically a top 5 talent who likely falls to pick #9 or #10. He could very well end up as the best player in this draft. Why would anyone trade up and give up multiple firsts for Williams when they can stay put and get Oliver? 

Basically, its going to be a suppressed trade market at the top of the draft. We wont see a lot of trades immediately. When the Giants traded Odell, that sealed the book on the top 4 IMO. 

If Murray goes #1, then Tampa is where things get interesting. It would make a ton of sense for anyone who wants a QB to jump the Giants and Tampa needs a lot of help on defense. One guy is not going to do it for them, and IMO there is a big dropoff after the top 3 defensive lineman go. Elway is the only guy I see making the jump and he is at pick #10. Thats a far move, from #5 to #10. Hard for me to picture that happening

What do you guys think about drafting a corner and moving him to FS? It seems like something we would do tbh. What guys out there are like 5'11 215 lbs? Someone who can tackle well and is good in space. A guy who maybe has some good ball skills. Maybe he went to a smaller school. 

I think we have about 3-4 young guys who will go in the third or later that we like. I dont think we are targeting any of the 'top' FS in this class, because we know we will be able to take a corner in the 4th who everyone else wasnt going to look at until the 5th or 6th. Just a hunch. 

Who is a smaller school TE who can block and run routes? I want to add a second TE in like the 4th or 6th round. I think a second TE who can block well and can run routes would be an amazing fit next to Kittle. It would give us such an advantage, having 2 TEs in the game at the same time and force the defense to stay in base personnel and then throw the ball off play action. any ideas @Forge?

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I see that as Allen. 

what say you @oldman9er

For various reasons, I'll say, I like Allen more at #2 now versus weeks ago. Adding Dee Ford is part of this. Being such a weak top 10 draft is also a factor, for me. Not quite buying into the SAM as an unimportant piece to a defense is also there, for me, though I won't dismiss the F/O may feel differently on that.

Most of what you stated in that post about Allen is either accurate or fair to believe. There is much appeal, but as I said before, I was eager to get a LEO with more power to go along with his positives. Bend and speed is important, but I'm not convinced that early on. Allen can convert the speed to power.. and that currently he doesn't wow me with counter moves. Things that work at the college level are no lock of success for the pros, obviously. I'm not sure Allen can take advantage the way he did against those college OL. I'm not convinced he can make any impact if an OL properly anticipates his first move. 

All that said, he's clearly loaded with potential.. and I'm not that impressed with many our top 5 options. Trading back is a strong option, for me, if they do not like Bosa or Ferrell enough. I won't at all be upset if Allen is the choice either.

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Stop the press! That little gem of an article is rather enlightening. Of course, it helps that my fave WR in this draft came up #1 overall in the metrics they use...B|  Really would be excited if the 9ers did take him.

I'm going to look more into your guy JJAW today. He's already resides in my top 10 of WRs, though toward the bottom of them. That's early 3rd round, at worst.. and he could very well move up, dunno. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Who is a smaller school TE who can block and run routes? I want to add a second TE in like the 4th or 6th round. I think a second TE who can block well and can run routes would be an amazing fit next to Kittle.

I'll be pounding the table for my boy Foster Moreau, if he's available in this range. I'm leaning more 5th rd, if we had the pick, but who knows. He really should be selected in the first couple rds of day 3, imho.  ( <---------- and maybe that h does stand for HOMER ) :P 

10 hours ago, the-catch said:

say we trade 2 w/ the Giants at 6/17. what are your thoughts of picking DK at either spots?? 6 probably too high w/ more pressing needs but I'd be down if he lasts to 17

The draft is loaded with receivers. I'd rather the 49ers stay where they are, and have the option of Bosa or Williams. 

Archived