2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

37 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Is it at all possible that with both being available, we'd take Allen over Bosa?

I actually think yes. I don't think it would be a high likelihood, but I think there is a possibility. 

There are a couple of reasons for this. One, the injury on Bosa. I don't have major concerns about his durability, but coming off an injury, Joey also being hurt (and fair or unfair, I think that matters)  this year may open the door to some concern there. Not enough for me to downgrade Bosa or anything, but I'm also not on this staff. 

But the biggest thing is what I mentioned before - we will be coaching Allen in the senior bowl. We are not going to get that kind of intimate knowledge of Bosa, and if Allen balls out during the practices, and presents himself well during that week, I could absolutely see it. The staff will have first hand knowledge on how responds to coaching, how he handles good and bad things, etc. We aren't going to have that knowledge of Bosa. Allen is already widely considered a top 10 pick, and in some instances, a top 5 pick, so it's not like we are talking about a huge jump or shocking turn of events if that is the case. While familiarity can breed contempt, it can also breed infatuation, and I can see a situation in which that happens during the senior bowl week. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually think yes. I don't think it would be a high likelihood, but I think there is a possibility. 

There are a couple of reasons for this. One, the injury on Bosa. I don't have major concerns about his durability, but coming off an injury, Joey also being hurt (and fair or unfair, I think that matters)  this year may open the door to some concern there. Not enough for me to downgrade Bosa or anything, but I'm also not on this staff. 

But the biggest thing is what I mentioned before - we will be coaching Allen in the senior bowl. We are not going to get that kind of intimate knowledge of Bosa, and if Allen balls out during the practices, and presents himself well during that week, I could absolutely see it. The staff will have first hand knowledge on how responds to coaching, how he handles good and bad things, etc. We aren't going to have that knowledge of Bosa. Allen is already widely considered a top 10 pick, and in some instances, a top 5 pick, so it's not like we are talking about a huge jump or shocking turn of events if that is the case. While familiarity can breed contempt, it can also breed infatuation, and I can see a situation in which that happens during the senior bowl week. 

I haven't really spoken much about the pass rushers or draft this year, but at this point - I don't think that there is a large gap between Bosa and Allen. I have each rated as top tier guys. Bosa might be better than Allen when the careers are done, but I know I like Allen better than I liked Garrett or Chubb coming out, and I had each rated as top tier talents as well. With Shanahan getting an up close look, that's pretty exciting if we end up choosing him.

Honestly, I'm excited that before an important 2019 season, Shanahan gets to get an up close look at a lot of offensive players. If there is anyone from the game that we pick up, I will be very excited about them.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe it will be a matter of personality. I could see the FO preferring Allen's personality over Bosa's. And I feel Allen has better athleticism, so maybe that's what it will come down to, as well. Bosa is the most pro-ready, the closer to a finished product. But does he have the highest ceiling of the two?

6 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Maybe it will be a matter of personality. I could see the FO preferring Allen's personality over Bosa's. And I feel Allen has better athleticism, so maybe that's what it will come down to, as well. Bosa is the most pro-ready, the closer to a finished product. But does he have the highest ceiling of the two?

Ceiling is pretty much splitting hairs at that point to be honest. I do think that Bosa is more likely to hit his ceiling though. Allen probably needs to add just a little more in the weight department (Bosa already has the NFL body...I'd be surprised if he's lighter than 260-265, and he should be 6'4 or 6'5 where as I wouldn't be surprised if Allen is around 250, playing in the 240's). Even with Bosa's technical proficiency already, he's still got a really high ceiling. I mean, let's not get it twisted, I think Bosa is the better prospect as much as I like Allen. Just saying that I wouldn't be shocked if we took a liking to Allen and made him the pick if they were both available. Still unlikely in my opinion, but the possibility exists. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Ceiling is pretty much splitting hairs at that point to be honest. I do think that Bosa is more likely to hit his ceiling though. Allen probably needs to add just a little more in the weight department (Bosa already has the NFL body...I'd be surprised if he's lighter than 260-265, and he should be 6'4 or 6'5 where as I wouldn't be surprised if Allen is around 250, playing in the 240's). Even with Bosa's technical proficiency already, he's still got a really high ceiling. I mean, let's not get it twisted, I think Bosa is the better prospect as much as I like Allen. Just saying that I wouldn't be shocked if we took a liking to Allen and made him the pick if they were both available. Still unlikely in my opinion, but the possibility exists. 

I agree on the likelihood of hitting the ceiling. At full time LEO, Allen could use a touch of bulk. At SAM, though, rotating to LEO. Damn. I finally got around to watching all of his snaps. They didn't ask him to cover 1 on 1 much, but when he did, OCs and QBs tried to exploit him. They failed. There was a play against TxAM when they tried to get their really athletic TE/WR hybrid by him. Now, Allen had safety help over the top, but he ran right with the guy and broke up the play with his freakishly long arms. Same thing in the Florida game. And he's pretty attentive in zone coverage (the exception being crossers from the opposite side). I think he's a pro bowler at SAM/LEO today. I really like Quinnen Williams and Nick Bosa. Fine players. But Josh Allen is their equal as a prospect (if with a different skill set) IMO. 

7 hours ago, John232 said:

My sauces inside the Raiders FO says they like Bosa but he and his brother are rampant PED users.

in other news the sky is blue.

This does pass the smell test to me. 

Thinking back to Joey's hold out, I believe they were haggling about the offset money and some of his guarantees. It would make sense that if he and his agent know that he takes PEDs that they would be sure to not have guaranteed money be voidable in the event he gets suspended. 

That could also just be a division rival who is bitter that a top flight edge rusher is in their division lol 

I honestly think that Allen has the higher upside over bosa because of his length. Nick is an absolute techniction and I honestly don't know what there is to improve on. Can someone tell me what his weaknesses are? 

Very good feeling knowing that at there are two top flight edge rushers and that we are guaranteed to get one. 

Well, our Shanny coaching Allen in the Sr. Bowl? If they end up drafting him after this, I would absolutely trust it and instantly like the pick. I like this opportunity. 

Entirely unobjective opinion on the way: However, I do not like Q. Wms at all. Sure, he is talented--very talented. However, that sack of Kyler Murray Saturday concerns me. That was brutally rough and would have been flagged in the NFL (and should have been flagged). Sure glad Samia wasn't flagged for 'protecting' Murray after the fact. Combined with our 9ers not needing interior DL at all, I want nothing to do with Williams. 

6 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Well, our Shanny coaching Allen in the Sr. Bowl? If they end up drafting him after this, I would absolutely trust it and instantly like the pick. I like this opportunity. 

This is where I am at as well. If bosa and Allen are both on the board, and we still take Allen after having coached him in the senior bowl, I'm fine with that and would totally trust the pick. 

Archived