2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

lol, man, I'm going to get us AB and Ramsey by the time this next season starts. And that's before I even head into FA. Let me work my magic!!!

Try a way to get us Miller in some sort of trade and then get ET in free agency!!!

I have yet to do a deep dive on his game tape so far, but the brief amount of tape I watched from 17 to 18 shows just a massive amount of improvement. He might be the most improved player I watched. I had him as a fringe first rounder at the start of the year. Now I don't see how he drops out of the top 5. The most important aspect for a pass-rusher is the ability to drive around the top of the arc, via bend or power, speed to close in on QB's scrambling in broken pockets, and to attack the pocket with more than one move. Allen in previous years, only showed the speed to close on broken plays consistently. This past year, he really developed his rip and bend, despite the weight gain. If he develops moves and counter moves and starts to set up tackles like you would a dance partner, he will be a a consistent pro-bowler.   Also, playing the run as a LEO is not that important. If he can flex in at the SAM and hold the edge as the off-ball backer, which I believe he can, then he will also be someone who can work out of multiple sets. Also extremely important. 

Allen is certainly riskier than someone like Bosa, Williams(x2) and even Polite, but he really has about a high as ceiling as you could ever expect someone to have. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Allen is certainly riskier than someone like Bosa, Williams(x2) and even Polite, but he really has about a high as ceiling as you could ever expect someone to have. 

He's riskier than Bosa and Williams, but I'd say he's far, far less risky than Polite. 

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

I think the Barr comp is fine. As his floor. The ceiling is higher. Much higher. Khalil Mack higher. Making his own nasty hybrid of Barr and Mack higher. Creating his own mold higher. That player is worth the 2nd overall pick. And even Khalil Mack wasn't Khalil Mack in college. Sometimes you have to project a bit and hope. I think he has more functional strength than the Barr and Lawson comps and is better with his hands and with subtle body control on the rush. Now, am I super trusting of our coaching staff on defense helping him to that ceiling through player development and clever scheming? No. Not really. That's an indictment of our guys on that side. And that's the reason you get Bosa, I think, if he's there. His ceiling and floor is slightly better Joey (including possible muscular injury concerns). Still a player that isn't quite a DPOY guy, but is a key piece you're fine with paying at the top level of a premium position. 

I've stated if Bosa is there, I couldn't argue with taking him. Even though I like Williams better, I would have no qualms about us taking Bosa, though I'm not super high on his character/personality. But I understand the talent and the position of need. My problem comes if Bosa goes #1 overall...

@Forge, I think we'll go hard after a edge rusher in free agency. I really believe that Lynch won't trust the draft to fix the hole at Leo. Now if we don't...my stance could change a bit. But if we sign a edge guy in free agency, there shouldn't be a issue in my eyes, in drafting a pass-rusher later and taking the BPA, which would be Williams.

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's riskier than Bosa and Williams, but I'd say he's far, far less risky than Polite. 

Should have prefaced this with the caveat of sticking someone at one position, a la LEO. I think as a pure pass-rusher, Polite might be safer. But I'd be way quicker to take Allen in any situation. 

16 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I think Allen has worked to become what he is from 2 star recruit who had to go the JC route if I remember correctly. The guy is still growing as a player, projection is huge for him.

Don't think that he went the JC route. The other Josh Allen did though lol. 

FWIW, reading Barrows' mailbag, he thinks Allen is a SAM and would likely rush the edge on passing downs. 

Below are the notable edge rushers who have accepted invitations to the Senior Bowl. Not all are first-rounders (though Josh Allen and Montez Sweat certainly are) and not all are classic LEO pass rushers. Some would be better as base-down strong-side linebackers (Sams) who rush from the edge on third downs. A quick breakdown:

LEO: Mississippi State’s Montez Sweat, Boston College’s Zach Allen, Louisiana Tech’s Jaylon Ferguson

SAM: Kentucky’s Josh Allen, Georgia’s D’Andre Walker, Michigan’s Chase Winovich and Old Dominion’s Oshane Ximines

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

FWIW, reading Barrows' mailbag, he thinks Allen is a SAM and would likely rush the edge on passing downs. 

Completely right about Allen @Forge, didn't go the JC route but had offers from Kentucky, Buffalo and Mamouth haha. He was not some prized recruit.

SAM on base downs with an added FA(Za'Darius Smith/Shaquil Barrett) in combination with Solomon Thomas at LEO, then on passing downs rotate Solly inside and have FA and Allen rush from the end spots? I can dig it. Take another flyer on an  edge rusher in the draft, my preference would be Winovich, and have Marsh back them all up with Blair still able to play sparingly and I think our pass rush can grow from there.

23 hours ago, Swift21 said:

Yeah that's nitpicking if that's your reasoning to pass on him.

For me it's either Bosa or Williams at 2 if you don't trade down.  I'm not taking Allen with the 2nd pick. He had a great season but I just don't think the gap between Allen and guys like Polite/Burns is that wide. 

And you appear to have missed the part where I said it was an unobjective opinion. You too, @757-NINER  If you are going to reply, please read the entire post. 

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So does anyone here think a team like the giants or jags could move up to pick Haskins?

Maybe the Giants or Redskins if they feel they are in win now mode and have the pieces around a young QB to be successful but I can’t see the Jags or Dolphins moving up and giving up multiple picks, even at a discounted price in a weak QB class, with so many wholes needing to be addressed. 

Im not the biggest fan of Haskins as a year one starter though so personally I wouldn’t trade up for him, especially since I’m not all that sure that there’s a huge difference between him and Daniel Jones if I’m sitting them both for a year. Giants do have Lauletta behind Manning although I haven’t followed that too closely at all. 

Makes me giggle because it's probably close to accurate. 

And FWIW, Metcalf would be my number 1 as well. I like Riley Ridley, but not as high at #3 - I have him as a guy that I would certainly target at the top of round three if we ignored wr in round 2. 

Don't quite understand the Metcalf love. Sure he supposedly has other-worldly physical attributes and all the potential in the world but I'm not sure he was ever the best WR on his own team at Ole Miss, both Brown and Lodge shined just as much if not more and remained healthy throughout. I just don't get WR 1 or even 2 vibes from him, more so "a guy with all the tools but no skill in using them" vibes.

Brown, Harmon, Ridley, Samuel are guys I see Shanny liking who possess bigger bodies than what we have now at WR but who can run routes, catch reliably and get some YAC. Would love to see one of them added at the top of round 2. Butler, Collin Johnson, Harry, Arcega-Whiteside are bigger guys who intrigue me but I don't quite see Shanny preferring. 

Some later round guys I like as sleepers are the WRs from Toledo, Tyre Brady, Stanley Morgan, Emmanuel Hall, Keelan Doss, Preston Williams and Jaylen Smith.

Archived