2019 Draft Talk (Draft Order in OP)

TecmoSuperJoe

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It isn't the interior I am worried about...  I don't think kicking Buckner to end is really going to change much....not convinced he will be as good on the outside. If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. 

Don't get another interior DL thinking it will help the outside pass rush. That is backward thinking. >:(

Not to mention I don't like Q Wms. Just not a fan.

We have to at least let it float out there that we're willing to pick Williams. I hope we don't, but I hope other teams think we might.

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Now would we be best off just telling Solly to play in the interior full time? 

Meh. Depends on how much you like the other guys who can play that big end position tbh. We have a lot of guys who can play that spot, but I'd trust Solly more against the run at that position than say Blair (though I may trust Armstead more than Solly if we keep Armstead on the roster this season). So if they want to play Solly at the big end spot on base downs with Buck / Jones / Armstead (and Williams, if drafted) on the interior, I have no issues with that. But on pass rushing downs, Thomas should be playing the interior along with Buck. 

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

We have to at least let it float out there that we're willing to pick Williams. I hope we don't, but I hope other teams think we might.

Given his talent, we have to at least consider him, regardless. Can't let the sunk cost of prior draft picks dictate that. I mean, that last wide receiver taken by Detroit in that run was Megatron.  If you think that he's the second best player in the draft, and there's a steep drop off, you just have to make the move. You figure the rest out as you go. Maybe you trade Thomas to a team like Cleveland, who could really use a 3t and get some value for him while he has a little. Maybe you just cut bait with Armstead and save the 9 million. Or maybe you just keep them all and have a fairly deep defensive line to guard against injuries and the like and try to figure out the pass rush somewhere from the edge. 

9 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Now would we be best off just telling Solly to play in the interior full time? 

In this scheme, Solly is only a every down player@3-Tech so no, he couldn't play there full time. He should spilt his time between 5-Tech on base and 3-Tech in nickel. That's best way to optimize his skill-set going forward. 

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

FA Edge? Uhhh...who?

There are quite a few who are free agents. Obviously not all will hit the market (I think you can write off someone like Lawrence and Clowney and Frank Clark), but Brandon Graham is expected to hit market. Za'Darius Smith will be on the market. Ziggy and Shane Ray are buy low guys you just hope can turn it around. KC will have a decision to make on Dee Ford and Justin Houston, especially with them moving to a 4-3. Trey Flowers. There are options. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

In this scheme, Solly is only a every down player@3-Tech so no, he couldn't play there full time. He should spilt his time between 5-Tech on base and 3-Tech in nickel. That's best way to optimize his skill-set going forward. 

Pretty much this. 

Just now, Forge said:

Given his talent, we have to at least consider him, regardless. Can't let the sunk cost of prior draft picks dictate that. I mean, that last wide receiver taken by Detroit in that run was Megatron.  If you think that he's the second best player in the draft, and there's a steep drop off, you just have to make the move. You figure the rest out as you go. Maybe you trade Thomas to a team like Cleveland, who could really use a 3t and get some value for him while he has a little. Maybe you just cut bait with Armstead and save the 9 million. Or maybe you just keep them all and have a fairly deep defensive line to guard against injuries and the like and try to figure out the pass rush somewhere from the edge. 

And that's been my whole stance in regards to Williams. IF you believe he is the superior talent and he's on the clock, he needs to be the pick... 

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

And that's been my whole stance in regards to Williams. IF you believe he is the superior talent and he's on the clock, he needs to be the pick... 

I have no problem with that in theory. But I'd feel much better if we had a deal in place to trade a Thomas and/or Armstead first. If you have too many prospects getting too few reps, no one is going to develop properly. So the superior talent you've taken will end up not living up to his promise. That's why I was more than okay with picking McGlinchey last year, because it was clear that Brown could be traded (and a second rounder was pretty good value). You don't want to create a logjam, because that doesn't benefits the team fully. Having Williams, Buck, Thomas, Armstead and perhaps a guy like Sheldon Day all vying for 1.5 spots on the DL is not an efficient allocation of resources, because in all likelihood, one of Thomas, Armstead and perhaps even Williams will never reach his full potential, due to lack of playing time. But if you get something for Thomas, Armstead can be depth for one year and be let go, or re-signed at a much lower price tag to be a back-up, and you keep Day for depth, now go ahead and get Williams. But if you don't get great value for Thomas, or if you think his development is going well and he'll take another step forward next year, trade down, let another team draft Williams, get an edge rusher further down, play Thomas, keep Day for depth, and use the extra draft capital you got to further improve the team, maybe to move back up into the back of the first.

My biggest issue with picking Williams has less to do with Williams, but just a matter of redundancy. Our army of 3 tech's are all solid, then in Buck we have an elite one.  And in picking Williams, I'm concerned that our FO won't move one of our 40 3/5 techs. Something they should have done when they drafted Thomas...(or not draft him at all). If we can Move Thomas for a third round pick and late round pick, I do it. Same with Armstead. I'd prefer to move Armstead though. But point is, we need to figure this out and picking up one FA + Williams isn't enough and it shouldn't be ok with fans. If you Pick Williams, it has to be because you grabbed both Brandaon Graham and Z. Smith, oro Ansah...Aand even with those guys picked, you better still be drafting an edge in the first 3 rounds. 

Any failure to seriously address the edge this off-season should be considered an abject failure and a borderline fireable offense for Lynch, assuming they role with the same exact talent level again at ed

1 hour ago, Forge said:

KC will have a decision to make on Dee Ford and Justin Houston, especially with them moving to a 4-3

whichever one of these guys becomes available, we need to jump all over. 

Dee Ford would be an awesome pick up (I wont hold my breath)

53 minutes ago, N4L said:

whichever one of these guys becomes available, we need to jump all over. 

Dee Ford would be an awesome pick up (I wont hold my breath)

I'm not sure about Dee Ford, he's been pretty underwhelming most of his career until it was time to get paid. I could be wrong about him, but I'd be concerned with throwing top money at him. I'd rather go after Bruce Irvin or Brandon Graham, then pair them up with a rookie EDGE.

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm not sure about Dee Ford, he's been pretty underwhelming most of his career until it was time to get paid. I could be wrong about him, but I'd be concerned with throwing top money at him. I'd rather go after Bruce Irvin or Brandon Graham, then pair them up with a rookie EDGE.

well Houston may be the odd man out in KC from what I just read/posted in around the NFLER.

22 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Depends on how you look at it. When he's played, he's actually played well. He saw almost no playing time as a rookie (10% of the defensive snaps) as they had Houston and Hali still. The next year he was a rotation player, still playing less than the majority of snaps, had 4 sacks, which is meh. Last year he was hurt and missed most of the season and had some issues when playing. The two years he's actually played a full time role for the full season, he's been pretty good. He was a monster this year, and in 2016 he had double digit sacks as well. I'd have some concerns about throwing big money his way as well, but honestly, it may be a little unfair to say that. For some reason, he simply hasn't convinced people that he's legit. Just something about him, I suppose. 

Archived