Jaguars decline Dante Fowler's 5th year option

TheKillerNacho

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931062/article/jags-decline-to-pick-up-dante-fowlers-fifthyear-option

Figured as there is a Shane Ray thread, there  might as well be a Dante Fowler one.

Unlike Shane Ray, Fowler was productive last season with 8 sacks. Although he still hasn't lived up to his draft position after his rookie injury... with the rise of Yannick Ngaokue and the veteran Calais Campbell having a career year, he didn't start a game, but it's a bit surprising to see Jacksonville not extend a 5th year to what was a pretty good rotational pass-rusher. There will definitely be a market for his services if he hits the open market.

Only time I think Ive been jealous that another team declined to pick up a players 5th year option....   

...and by that, I mean I wish we didnt pick up Bud Dupree's 5th year option....

..............and by that, I mean Bud Dupree sucks.  

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Only time I think Ive been jealous that another team declined to pick up a players 5th year option....   

I haven't really watched the Steelers much or took note of him when I did - but has he really been that bad?

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Man, at first I thought you were saying that you’re jealous that another team is so stacked at a position that a “good player like Dante Fowler” could be let go without much though, and boy did I have some corrections for you.

Some team is going to pay him big bucks to come be a DE1 or high level DE2 and boy are they going to be in for a rude awakening.

7 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000931062/article/jags-decline-to-pick-up-dante-fowlers-fifthyear-option

Figured as there is a Shane Ray thread, there  might as well be a Dante Fowler one.

Unlike Shane Ray, Fowler was productive last season with 8 sacks. Although he still hasn't lived up to his draft position after his rookie injury... with the rise of Yannick Ngaokue and the veteran Calais Campbell having a career year, he didn't start a game, but it's a bit surprising to see Jacksonville not extend a 5th year to what was a pretty good rotational pass-rusher. There will definitely be a market for his services if he hits the open market.

14 million is alot of Dough for a Backup who isnt as good as a pass rusher you think with his 8 sacks.  he has to be schemed into pressures and go from there. 

it doesnt help we were a Projected 49 million over the cap before this move. 

Archived