Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

McCarthy also provided a disappointing update on Mays, the second-year running back competing for a backup role. The updated medical report on Mays’ injured hamstring was “not encouraging,” and McCarthy isn’t expecting Mays to be available at all this week, putting his roster spot in danger as the regular season approaches.

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Could not agree more with this. 

..........and the third edge rusher is........not on the roster.

If the Packers lose Matthews and draft a top pass rusher in 2019, there STILL won't be a third rusher (someone better than Gilbert)............unless you think Biegel or Fackrell or someone even less likely can leapfrog him. so, unless a good vet is picked up, or the Packers double-dip early at OLB next year, there is no "Ideally" any time soon.

The endless high-pick dips for  DBs in the last, say, five years have left this position uncovered. The losses of Hayward and Randall, and the disappointment of Rollins  (and Josh Jones, so far), have rendered the Packers unable to spend the high early picks elsewhere (at OLB......and WR as well, actually). One high pick at each of those spots in the last few years could have made a big difference at this point in time. Ah well, drafting never was an exact science and the Packers ARE better than many teams at drafting. Us fans are always hoping for more though, that's the nature of being a fan.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Could not agree more with this. 

"Ideally Reggie Gilbert would be our 4th edge rusher."

Well he's our 3rd edge rusher.  Not ideal, but one spot away from ideal so not the end of the world considering he's a bargain undrafted free agent. 

The trick now is to develop or sign someone to fill that 4th spot this year and then use some of that draft capital next season on the position.

In the mean time Pettine will have to create pressure from the D-Line and the secondary. 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

McCarthy also provided a disappointing update on Mays, the second-year running back competing for a backup role. The updated medical report on Mays’ injured hamstring was “not encouraging,” and McCarthy isn’t expecting Mays to be available at all this week, putting his roster spot in danger as the regular season approaches.

My son was a twitchy athlete, 4.43 40 and all that. His senior year hamstring pull was terrible: slow to heal and prone to re- injury because it was way up where the muscle attaches to the bone. When I hear of these hammy pulls that go on for weeks it leads me to wonder if this is what the athlete is experiencing. Muscles heal pretty quickly usually, but tendons are stubborn sometimes and may want weeks of low activity to heal, leaving the athlete behind in the conditioning regimen.

You have to marvel at the athletes who undergo brutal collisions multiple times in games week after week, stress their bodies to the max in training, and show up to play the next week. I like Mays and hope he can find a way to stick with the team until fully healed. 

1 hour ago, British said:

"Ideally Reggie Gilbert would be our 4th edge rusher."

Well he's our 3rd edge rusher.  Not ideal, but one spot away from ideal so not the end of the world considering he's a bargain undrafted free agent. 

The trick now is to develop or sign someone to fill that 4th spot this year and then use some of that draft capital next season on the position.

In the mean time Pettine will have to create pressure from the D-Line and the secondary. 

The point of the tweet is that there's a BIG difference between your 3rd EDGE and your 4th. We are under-manned at the position, and I think everyone pretty much understands that, which is why I'm hopeful Gute has another move up his sleeve there, whether it's "the" move to get Mack or simply signing a vet on the street or about to be on the street come cut-down day. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Only saw 2 tweets regarding the rookie WRs today for those take a daily tally. EQ with a nice catch going over the middle and JMon Moore slipped on a break and made for an easy pick by Donatello Brown.

That's because the man who makes all the plays at practice wasn't practicing. #Kumerow

Archived