Packers Off-season Mini-Camp/Training Camp Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Plenty of solid safeties out there in FA.  Arguably guys who are better players than Brice like Reid Vaccaro and Mike Mitchell

Forgot about Mitchell. Wouldn't mind him at all. He's not the athlete anymore like Reid or Vaccaro but he's smart and a solid leader. 

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's a really lousy solution to this problem.

Agreed

But great solutions are pretty hard to come by in August after all of the installs and OTAs under a new DC

Maybe there's an ILB with previous experience in Pettine-world and maybe the 3 DL nickel only uses one ILB

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Forgot about Mitchell. Wouldn't mind him at all. He's not the athlete anymore like Reid or Vaccaro but he's smart and a solid leader. 

After the shock of him being drafted so high, weren't we one of the teams rumored to have had him high?

I wasn't aware he was available. 

23 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Martini time 

safety position worries me if Brice is out and Jones still can’t cover. Are there any acceptable vet safeties out there?

This is why Greer Martini was playing snaps. They knew all along.

Ryan had an ACL injury in college before if I remember correctly so he should know what an ACL injury feels like so based on his reaction you just know it's serious.

Other than Bowman I can't see any free agent worth kicking the tyres on,.

There are former Packers still on the market such as David Talley,  Cody Heiman and Derrick Mathews. But unfortunately like our in-house options none of them comes close to Ryan's size and/or athleticism. Martini is probably the closest like-for-like replacement we currently have on the roster.

Another option is a trade, throw away a 6th or 7th rounder for some prospect languishing on some team's depth chart.

47 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Yes, Norm started a GoFundMe site already

All you need to do is walk over there to the NFL Safety Tree and pluck a ripe one

Truthfully, I would sign Mitchell or Bowman pending physical and low dollars. ILB has me a little worried.

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

At what point do we blame Pettine for all the injuries?

FirePettine.com 

48 minutes ago, Chili said:

Ryan had an ACL injury in college before if I remember correctly so he should know what an ACL injury feels like so based on his reaction you just know it's serious.

Other than Bowman I can't see any free agent worth kicking the tyres on,.

There are former Packers still on the market such as David Talley,  Cody Heiman and Derrick Mathews. But unfortunately like our in-house options none of them comes close to Ryan's size and/or athleticism. Martini is probably the closest like-for-like replacement we currently have on the roster.

Another option is a trade, throw away a 6th or 7th rounder for some prospect languishing on some team's depth chart.

I'm still pretending when Martini plays a bunch I was the first one to spot his talent by wondering why he was on first team specials and getting second team reps

Just a darn shame for Ryan and Brice, although I guess we’ll have to wait and see on Kentrell. Maybe Milwaukee’s own Marwin Edwards can get some footing and become a viable stop gap option at safety.

That written, the Packers are MIGHTY green at safety beyond HHCD. So I’d be surprised if Gute doesn’t  bring in a veteran (or two) to stabilize that position ala Jahri Evans a couple years ago.

Meantime, Pettine will be challenged as to how to deploy the guys he got. Film at 11...

Archived