2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

10 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Someone referred to him as a Steve McNair clone. That may be accurate. 

Ummm no.  Steve McNair was a ridiculously impressive athlete with a rocket arm.  Haskins does not have Steve McNair's type of arm strength in terms of deep passes.  Haskins is more accurate and polished as a passer at this age though arguably.  But McNair was physical superior in every way, sure injuries caught up to him later in his career but he was a damn good athlete! 

I would never call Dwayne Haskins this great athlete at QB or something what so ever.  Sure he is not some statue but again he is far from being Steve McNair in terms of his athletic ability and or arm talent.  

24 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Is anyone else getting 1st round hype? Seems like Haskins is the clear guy and then for some reason people have Murray going 1st as well. Haven't heard about anyone else really.

I would like to know people's thoughts on Daniel Jones, mainly his arm strength. Does he has enough of it to be a good QB in NFL?

7 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I would like to know people's thoughts on Daniel Jones, mainly his arm strength. Does he has enough of it to be a good QB in NFL?

I really like Daniel Jones. His arm strength is beyond adequate. He's a great athlete. He's got excellent size. He's tough as nails. He is a project and is underdeveloped because of how god awful his OL was at Duke, but the dude has a lot of tools and has the mental makeup to become an excellent QB down the line. It's so rough watching him play against good teams because his OL gets decimated 1-2 seconds into every snap.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I really like Daniel Jones. His arm strength is beyond adequate. He's a great athlete. He's got excellent size. He's tough as nails. He is a project and is underdeveloped because of how god awful his OL was at Duke, but the dude has a lot of tools and has the mental makeup to become an excellent QB down the line. It's so rough watching him play against good teams because his OL gets decimated 1-2 seconds into every snap.

I've heard hes the most pro ready qb to come out. He got coached by the same guy who coached the Mannings. He doesn't scream project to me.

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Is anyone else getting 1st round hype? Seems like Haskins is the clear guy and then for some reason people have Murray going 1st as well. Haven't heard about anyone else really.

Daniel Jones and Drew Lock are getting mentions as well.

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I've heard hes the most pro ready qb to come out. He got coached by the same guy who coached the Mannings. He doesn't scream project to me.

He's fundamentally sound, but it's honestly hard to determine if he's worth a 1st round pick. He just gets gobbled up so quickly and his WR's are always blanketed. He was a 1-man show on that Duke offense and they struggled when facing talented DL. I think he's underdeveloped as a passer because of how quickly he had to get the ball out. He did not have time to work through progressions or scan the field. I want to see those things out of him and while I have heard multiple reports saying he's a crazy smart dude that won't have problems with this, I wasn't able to see it on tape a whole lot because of the team around him.

The thing I took away from watching his tape the most was how freaking tough the dude is. He was getting BLASTED by blitzers and hanging in the pocket tough and delivering good balls. He isn't finnickey despite having every reason to be. He's the hardest QB to evaluate in this draft IMO.

4 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

I remember watching Jones as a freshman and I was impressed. He looked like a future pro QB. But he didn't progress as much as I thought he would.

His arm is pedestrian to average and his delivery is a little slow. He's got good running ability but he's not a great scrambler. Never slides and takes the shots. Floats longer throws and is more of a check down guy.

On 1/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, AlNFL19 said:
Charting Catalog: D. Lock, QB, Missouri
Release Footwork Velocity Accuracy
55% Good + 21% Good + 56% Good + 52% Good +
77% Mediocre + 60% Mediocre + 86% Mediocre + 75% Mediocre +
23% Bad 40% Bad 14% Bad 25% Bad

Just rewatched the Orange Bowl to see Kyler Murray now that he's declared, here's my charting on it, with the above of Drew Lock against Florida and Memphis as a reference point.

Charting Catalog: K. Murray, QB, Oklahoma vs. Alabama
Release Footwork Velocity Accuracy
68% Good + 33% Good + 65% Good + 39% Good +
92% Mediocre + 76% Mediocre + 86% Mediocre + 78% Mediocre +
8% Bad 24% Bad 14% Bad 22% Bad

Let's break this down a bit: Alabama is probably the closest thing to an NFL defense that a college quarterback can play, and Murray played decently against them, if not pretty well. His footwork was erratic from play to play but was at least decent on a large majority of plays. His accuracy figures obviously don't look great, especially looking at Lock's, who is generally not seen as a highly accurate quarterback. Obviously, playing against Alabama and having a great pass rush in his face all game had something to do with this.

My Notes on Murray thus far:

- Very quick release

- Footwork is pretty good but can break down under pressure or on the run

- Has plenty of arm strength velocity-wise to drive the ball outside the numbers or down the field

- Generally pretty accurate but has lapses

- Has to compensate for stature on deep passes with exaggerated high release that forces the ball up high

- Extremely dangerous threat to run; fast and athletic

- Runs too much for my liking and doesn't always stay collected

- Locks on to the first read at times

- Throws the occasional jump ball that he really shouldn't

- Takes too many sacks - didn't throw the ball away once against Alabama (except for a play that was called back for a penalty on Alabama)

Overall, he's an interesting prospect. He's got a real quick release and plenty of arm strength and accuracy but has a lot of minor problems.

Archived