Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

vegas492

3 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Did we have 7 WRs on the roster opening day or 6? My brain doesn't work anymore.

Without looking, I believe it was 7. 

This year I think Jordy, Davante, Cobb, Allison, Davis and Janis are locks. So there's likely one more spot available. I'd prefer it goes to McCaffrey personally, but you know TT is going to choose one of his draft choices. 

27 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Davis is my pick for breakout guy.  It will probably take an injury to get there though.

Fortunately, I think the top 3 are flexible enough to where one injury is gonna open up playing time for 2-3 guys, not just one guy.  And it'll be the guy who makes plays in that situation who starts to see more time and more balls.

i.e. initially we might see Allison in the slot getting some reps, but we'll also see Jordy in the slot and more outside reps, or adams in the slot and more outside reps.  Adams is our best sideline receiver at this point, and Davis could do really well to give the other guys some space to work underneath him.  I like Davis as the only guy on the roster who I think could actually be a star.  His hands aren't 8/10 or better, but neither are Adams and they are better than Janis.  I like everything else about his game.

7.  Janis, Davis, Jordy, Adams, Cobb, Abbro, Montgomery

I was pretty sure it was 7. I envision that again, TBH. I'm okay with that. 

24 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Without looking, I believe it was 7. 

This year I think Jordy, Davante, Cobb, Allison, Davis and Janis are locks. So there's likely one more spot available. I'd prefer it goes to McCaffrey personally, but you know TT is going to choose one of his draft choices. 

I could dig McC but I just think he can be stashed still probably.

Wr is a tough position to figure out.

McCaffrey has outplayed the draft picks and Clark.  But, does he show the most potential?

I just ran a quick cut down scenario and dang it is tough.  I only kept 6, as I counted Allison on the suspended list.  My list had Yancey, Dupree and Clark getting cut.  Hoping for 2 of the 3 to go to the PS.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Wr is a tough position to figure out.

McCaffrey has outplayed the draft picks and Clark.  But, does he show the most potential?

I just ran a quick cut down scenario and dang it is tough.  I only kept 6, as I counted Allison on the suspended list.  My list had Yancey, Dupree and Clark getting cut.  Hoping for 2 of the 3 to go to the PS.

The way I see the receiver position, we've got one for free in Allison because the suspension actually makes it easier. 

In my opinion, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Davis and Janis are as good as on the roster, and we can probably keep 2 on the practice squad, so that means that one of Yancey/McCaffrey/Dupre/Clark can/will make the team. 

Glad to see my suggestion of Davis as the surprise cut generated so much good discussion. Remember, I picked Davis because he would be a SURPRISE cut. That was the point of the thread, right? I would be surprised if he were cut, because of many reasons given above, and because TT doesn't like cutting draft choices. But Allison and McCaffery are certainly making it hard to keep all of the drafted WRs. The concussion to Duprey probably makes it likely he ends up on the PS (I think Clark has earned a spot there too). The way I see it, the real battle is between Davis and McCaffrey. The challenge for McCaffrey is to fill Davis' special teams role and do it better. McCaffrey's audition as a punt returner against Washington makes me think that. Imagine a late season "must win" game, holding on to a slight lead with only a few minutes left on the clock,  fielding a punt inside the Packer's 20, who do you want? Davis or McCaffery? We have two more pre-season games to find the answer to that question.

Cobb is the only natural slot receiver of the "locks"...and I would bet he gets cut/traded next year in order to retain Davante (We're not paying 3 WRs 10+ million/year), so maybe McCaffrey does stand a chance to make the roster. 

Regardless, I bet there are some teams (JETS) that are watching our situation closely. 

12 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Cobb was a second round pick, but Cobb never had as much pure speed as Davis either.

Don't know how you can say that when he's been getting good reviews all offseason and he hasn't played in an actual game yet. 

I guess this will just have to be another one of those times where my gut and sound logic will have to be brought up to prove that morons like me are right more often than people who know more.

Again, we're talking about keeping a hold of the ball on punt returns.  Having all that speed does no good when he's muffing punts every now and then.  I think we're all in agreement that we need a sure-handed return man back there, and that's not Trevor Davis.  And that works against him.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Again, we're talking about keeping a hold of the ball on punt returns.  Having all that speed does no good when he's muffing punts every now and then.  I think we're all in agreement that we need a sure-handed return man back there, and that's not Trevor Davis.  And that works against him.

I think it's utterly ridiculous that Cobb hasn't been that guy for a couple years now. Especially when he's publicly stated that he's wanted to be the PR. 

13 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

I think it's utterly ridiculous that Cobb hasn't been that guy for a couple years now. Especially when he's publicly stated that he's wanted to be the PR. 

Agreed.  The risk of injury is just as high at WR across the middle, taking a handoff from the backfield as it is on punt return.  

More opportunities to get a playmaker the ball in space should be taken advantage of.

Let's tweak the thought experiment a bit. Let's say, same scenario, except instead of being up by a couple, the Pack is down by a couple, and receiving the punt inside their 20. Do you want to try to win the game with a Davis punt return (with the risk he might fumble the game away), or do you want to win the game with a sure handed catch by McCaffrey who then gives the ball to Aaron to win the game? I guess I vote for the McCaffery option to try to win the game, given Aaron!

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think we're all in agreement that we need a sure-handed return man back there, and that's not Trevor Davis. 

Yes, we all want a sure- handed return man

No, we're not all in agreement that that's not Trevor Davis ( yet)

Pining for Cobb ? He muffed more punts than Davis...and he doesn't have the speed to make a difference at PR. Occasionally, all you want is a fair catch and that's fine, put Cobb or DickRod out there.

However, if you wanna win a Title , Ya gotta have a threat in the return game. You have to challenge the opponents' STs.

See Howard, Desmond et al 1996 Journal of Championship Teams (JCT) Volume 13

Packers tried the play-it-safe routine in Seattle in the NFCCG:  "Don't try to return the INT, give it to Aaron and let him do his thing." Guess what ? Playing it safe doesn't win Championships. The NFL Gods frown deeply on the playing - scared tactics

Grow a pair or go home...B|

"He either fears his fate too much or his desserts are small, that dares not put it to the touch to win or lose it all"

55 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

Cobb is the only natural slot receiver of the "locks"...and I would bet he gets cut/traded next year in order to retain Davante (We're not paying 3 WRs 10+ million/year), so maybe McCaffrey does stand a chance to make the roster. 

Regardless, I bet there are some teams (JETS) that are watching our situation closely. 

If you were in the front office, what would it take from the JETS to trade Cobb?

I know Jordy can play the slot better than Cobb.  Guessing that Janis deserves some snaps on the outside with the 1's.  Also guessing that is a sure fire way to upset the franchise QB.....

Micah was not the fastest player the last few years and the GB staff felt more than comfortable with him manning the PR duties.  He also was able to return a punt or 2 for TD's.  That has more to do with blocking and breakdowns in kick coverage vs the speed of the returner

Archived