Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

vegas492

On 8/21/2017 at 0:45 PM, Packerraymond said:

Give Spriggs some time, if he really added as much weight as reported it takes the body some time to get used to. I tried to add 20lbs in college one year and I was a mess in spring ball. He has too good of feet to fail, he just may have to lose some of the weight and struggle in the run game. Cliffy was never good in that regard either. 

I wonder if trying him at guard hurt his development as well. It reminds me of Sherrod, who bounced around and never really looked comfortable anywhere. Hopefully he will settle in, but it seems like swing tackle is gonna be his role this year. 

44 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one laughing at "he just lost the punt returner job" because of one muffed punt. 

No way does he deserve to lose the job, however he won't have it long if he doesn't stop putting it on the ground. He needs Stickum for his gloves. 

Just now, Haha21 said:

No way does he deserve to lose the job, however he won't have it long if he doesn't stop putting it on the ground. He needs Stickum for his gloves. 

I agree he's on very thin ice as far as losing the job because a regular season fumble counts triple what it does in the preseason, but he hasn't lost the job.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Call it what you want.  Using post-action results to justify your argument doesn't make the argument any more substantiated.  The logic that because the Packers got burned for being conservative against the Seahawks in the playoff as why they shouldn't play that way, but ignoring that your aggressive play results in turnovers for the other team is faulty logic.  You don't just get to overlook the downside of letting Davis return punts simply because he's the most explosive punt returner we've got.

Go back to the numbers.  You've got the mortal locks in Nelson, Cobb, and Adams.  Geronimo Allison will start the year suspended, so you don't have to count him.  At best, you're carrying another four receivers.  Given the established value Jeff Janis has on ST, he probably has the leg up on the other WR given that when you get past your top 3 WR you're looking at guys who either offer ST value or have high upside and/or recently invested draft picks.  So there's four right there.  That means you're final two spots are likely down to Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Malachi Dupre, and Max McCaffrey.  Quite frankly, McCaffrey has an uphill battle IMO.  And the recent injury to Dupre likely puts him behind the 8-ball.

Should have immediately ir'd dupre

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Call it what you want.  Using post-action results to justify your argument doesn't make the argument any more substantiated.  The logic that because the Packers got burned for being conservative against the Seahawks in the playoff as why they shouldn't play that way,

Experience is a great teacher and those who fail to learn from history are often doomed to repeat it...

If you tell us that Davis just doesn't have good hands and that his problem is chronic vs acute, then you've got a point. That's outside of my skill set to make that determination. The scouting reports on Davis that I read suggested he has good hands and he returned a few punts at Cal without a fumble.

In a draft & develop world, you have to accept the bumps along the way as these guys hone their craft. It sounds like you've already decided that Davis will definitely fumble in the future, which is fascinating given your argument above against using the past as a predictor of the future.

Let's put Davis in front of the Juggs machine and run 10 angry Packer fans at him for a couple of weeks, you can be the Gunner :)

Davis is definitely on the bubble.  Given that he isn't showing much value on offense right now, I think Davis would clear waivers and make the PS if cut.  Allison, Yancey, and Janis are getting close to being locks at this point.  Dupre to IR.

26 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Davis is definitely on the bubble.  Given that he isn't showing much value on offense right now, I think Davis would clear waivers and make the PS if cut.  Allison, Yancey, and Janis are getting close to being locks at this point.  Dupre to IR.

except that Yancey isn't a lock and Allison is suspended.

4 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Davis is definitely on the bubble.

Yeah, if we only keep five receivers.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allison isn't making the 53 since he's suspended.  But sure, if two rookies have shown more offensively in the NFL than a second year receiver who has an NFL touchdown, yeah, Davis is on the bubble. 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i think cobb is the only logical name on the list considering how deep the team seems at WR... but even then i still dont think hes close to the chopping block (if he did get cut it would be a #'s thing, not a lack of ability so I'd imagine they would try to trade him first).

otherwise I dont think were gonna see any kind of josh sitton moment this year... the starters are basically all locked in stone as far as i can tell.

if anything, this team is gonna have to cut multiple depth guys that will likely be signed by other teams... maybe even TT will pick up a final day cut guy to put on our 53?

Am I the only one who thinks the whole Davis fumble is a big overreaction? To me it looked like a guy in a preseason game that was trying to make a play. I think we see the same thing during punt or kick off returns all through the preseason from about every team. He already showed that he can be a dynamic punt returner I think the coaches just got to put it in his head that first and foremost he needs to hold on to the ball. 

My surprise cut or trade is Cobb as well. I just see a log jam at the WR position and the Packers would like to see some of the younger guys with more snaps. I don't actually think its going to happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. 

Archived