Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

vegas492

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

To everyone that is talking about NE desperately needing a receiver.... uh, no.

They have danny amendola, who is very passable when healthy.  They have Chris Hogan, who looked in line for a much larger role based on the playoffs.  They have Brandin Cooks, who can do everything.  And they really love Malcom Mitchell who impressed as a rookie last year.

The pats will not be making a big move at WR.

Agreed.  Add in White, Burkhead, Gillislee, Lewis, Allen, Gronk.....that is plenty of pass catchers.  Plus some that we have not even heard of buried on their roster.

8 hours ago, spilltray said:

I get the idea that Cobb probably isn't worth his contract, and at some point I get the argument to get rid of him, especially if you pay Adams as well, but that's not until after the season because right now if you get rid of Cobb, the WR situation can easily get scary fast with 1 injury. If you get rid of Cobb and either Nelson or Adams goes down, you don't really have anyone ready to be a #2 right now. There are a lot of young guys and they have talent so you hope they can develop but right now none of them are ready.

If a team wants Cobb now, what he brings right now, this season, especially considering the players behind him, he's worth at 1st for sure.

Cobb was pretty useless when Nelson went down. He's a dynamic player worth keeping around, but he will not really fill the void in the event of an injury to #1 or 2.

On 8/26/2017 at 0:56 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

No way in hell I would be happy with that.  I want this team to win the Super Bowl this year.  It makes zero sense to trade a good receiver to the biggest threat imaginable to beating us in the Super Bowl for a third round pick.  Only way I'd be okay with sending Cobb to the Patriots right now would be if it was for a first round pick or if it was for Butler/Flowers/Hightower. 

You don't want to be the stupid team that makes the Patriots better for nothing.  There are plenty of those teams out there already. 

We don't want Butler. There was a reason they signed Gilmore this past offseason. Butler has been unhappy in New England and Cooks burnt him pretty badly at one point last season. The talk in NE was whether they'd straight up send Butler for Cooks but New Orleans balked on that deal.

Just now, Joe said:

We don't want Butler. There was a reason they signed Gilmore this past offseason. Butler has been unhappy in New England and Cooks burnt him pretty badly at one point last season. The talk in NE was whether they'd straight up send Butler for Cooks but New Orleans balked on that deal.

I don't want Butler either, I'm just saying that if we were to trade Cobb to a major competitor, it had better make them worse somehow.  If they lost Butler, their secondary would be in trouble with only two good corners on their roster.  Cyrus Jones has been, according to Patriots fans themselves, a bust.  I wouldn't even want Hightower from them in a Cobb trade because they went out and got David Harris from the Jets.  So I'm going to make my official stance that the only way I would be okay with a Cobb to Patriots trade would be if we got Trey Flowers plus a second round draft pick.  Hurt their pass rush (which is already suspiciously thin) and get a return on our investment in Cobb. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't want Butler either, I'm just saying that if we were to trade Cobb to a major competitor, it had better make them worse somehow.  If they lost Butler, their secondary would be in trouble with only two good corners on their roster.  Cyrus Jones has been, according to Patriots fans themselves, a bust.  I wouldn't even want Hightower from them in a Cobb trade because they went out and got David Harris from the Jets.  So I'm going to make my official stance that the only way I would be okay with a Cobb to Patriots trade would be if we got Trey Flowers plus a second round draft pick.  Hurt their pass rush (which is already suspiciously thin) and get a return on our investment in Cobb. 

Harris and Hightower are the only LB's worth a damn in that defense right now. Flowers had a good season last season but wasn't really that consistent. Hightower would be my pick but I don't think Cobb is worth a 1st or 2nd and this point. Another poster pointed out that he's lost his quickness, not so much his speed and he's been usurped as the WR2 by Adams.

Just now, Joe said:

Harris and Hightower are the only LB's worth a damn in that defense right now. Flowers had a good season last season but wasn't really that consistent. Hightower would be my pick but I don't think Cobb is worth a 1st or 2nd and this point. Another poster pointed out that he's lost his quickness, not so much his speed and he's been usurped as the WR2 by Adams.

I don't care.  Cobb still would provide a TON of value to a team like the Patriots, where intelligent receivers get thirty thousand catches a game.  It's not about Cobb's value, it's about not giving the Patriots ANY value.

I would honestly be okay with trading Cobb to any of the 30 other teams in the NFL for a third or even fourth round pick, but not the Patriots. 

Surprise cut ?

ILB Joe Thomas...had a ton of snaps in 2016 but the Packers have made some moves that might suggest he is on the way out

Drafted hybrid player Josh Jones and played Morgan Burnett at ILB

5 deep Safety group, including Brice and Evans

Addition of Brooks allows Matthews to move around, including time at ILB

Blake and Jake are both healthy and taking another step forward

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Surprise cut ?

ILB Joe Thomas...had a ton of snaps in 2016 but the Packers have made some moves that might suggest he is on the way out

Drafted hybrid player Josh Jones and played Morgan Burnett at ILB

5 deep Safety group, including Brice and Evans

Addition of Brooks allows Matthews to move around, including time at ILB

Blake and Jake are both healthy and taking another step forward

What ILB are they gonna keep? Just two? I think JT is a lock, TBH. I get your logic though. 

I have this weird feeling we're gonna trade Evans for something cheap.

14 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

How about this hot take.  Josh Jones wouldn't make this team if he weren't a second round rookie.  He is the 5th best S and not better than Ryan, Martinez, Thomas, or Burnett at the LB position, currently.  Obviously, I think that will change given time.

I don't know how I feel about this take. Like okay yeah as UDFA no, but teams draft guys early not BC of what they will be early but BC of what they can become. 

Sometimes I feel like when a young guy is good okay thats what he is. He starts slow, thats what he is. **** takes time.

4 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I just don't see where Josh Jones is gonna get many snaps, unless its at ILB.

And I don't think the Packers spent a 2nd for an ST demon....B|

It's been said many times by this staff that you draft for future needs more than current ones. I think Jones was drafted as a replacement for Burnett. Yes this year most of his snaps will probably come at ILB or in some form of 3 S sub packages, but unless they work out a very team friendly deal with Burnett, I'm not expecting to see him back next year.

1 hour ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

How about this hot take.  Josh Jones wouldn't make this team if he weren't a second round rookie.  He is the 5th best S and not better than Ryan, Martinez, Thomas, or Burnett at the LB position, currently.  Obviously, I think that will change given time.

I never see him getting many reps, which is strange.  I think they may be hiding his regular season role.

Archived