Are the playoffs really out of the question?

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Today: Cleveland Browns a “sleeper.”

Tomorrow’s Power Rankings: Cleveland sitting at 29.

Close, ESPN

31. Cleveland Browns

2017 record: 0-16
Post-free-agency ranking: 30rd-arrow.png

The success of this draft will likely hinge on the development of Baker Mayfield. The Browns have had 28 different starting quarterbacks since they rejoined the NFL in 1999, the most of any team, and whether Mayfield is 29th or 30th -- the Browns have Tyrod Taylor, after all -- the goal is to ensure that Mayfield sticks longer than the likes of Brandon Weeden and Johnny Manziel.

SBNation

1 Philadelphia Eagles
2 New England Patriots
3 Minnesota Vikings
4 Los Angeles Rams
5 Jacksonville Jaguars
6 New Orleans Saints
7 Pittsburgh Steelers
8 Atlanta Falcons
9 Green Bay Packers
10 San Francisco 49ers
11 Carolina Panthers
12 Tennessee Titans
13 Dallas Cowboys
14 Houston Texans
15 Kansas City Chiefs
16 Los Angeles Chargers
17 Oakland Raiders
18 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
19 Seattle Seahawks
20 Detroit Lions
21 Denver Broncos
22 New York Giants
23 Washington
24 Miami Dolphins
25 Baltimore Ravens
26 Buffalo Bills
27 Arizona Cardinals
28 Chicago Bears
29 Indianapolis Colts
30 Cincinnati Bengals
31 Cleveland Browns
32 New York Jets

NFL.com

RANK

CLE.png

BROWNS

You're either on the Baker Mayfield train or not, it seems. Which is fine, but if you didn't like the Brett Favre draft-day replica pic -- complete with giant cordless phone, jorts and a pimp hat in the background -- you're not of this Earth. In case you missed it, Alonzo Highsmith (former Oilers RB Alonzo Highsmith) detailed why Cleveland took Mayfield No. 1 overall against all odds in a rare show of front-office clarity. CB Denzel Ward (No. 4 overall) should start. Guard Austin Corbett (Round 2, No. 33) can, too. Then there's former Georgia standout Nick Chubb (Round 2, No. 35), who could relegate free-agent signee Carlos Hyde to the pine. Put another way: This is a whole new Browns team with an infusion of energy. It's on Hue Jackson now. As for not moving the Browns higher? They need to win.

Second best qb in the division and second best roster, in my opinion. With the potential to be the most talented roster in the division if the majority pan out.

If this team wasn’t called the Browns, playoffs would be a genuine possibility.

Tyrod took that Bills team last year to the playoffs, so it's marginally possible, but I think 6 or 7 wins is our ceiling this year, given our schedule. I predict 5 wins, with a better shot at contention the following season. 

The biggest indictment of the Hue/Sashi era is that we were all miserable in the 4-5 average win purgatory we were stuck in between 2001-2015, but after these last couple seasons, 5 wins actually doesn't sound that bad!

23 hours ago, dawgdish said:

Tyrod took that Bills team last year to the playoffs, so it's marginally possible, but I think 6 or 7 wins is our ceiling this year, given our schedule. I predict 5 wins, with a better shot at contention the following season. 

The biggest indictment of the Hue/Sashi era is that we were all miserable in the 4-5 average win purgatory we were stuck in between 2001-2015, but after these last couple seasons, 5 wins actually doesn't sound that bad!

To piggy back off of what you said, "tyrod took the bills to the playoffs" no we don't have shady at rb, but the rest of the offense is way better than what buffalo had last year, and it honestly isn't that close. And with the secondary much better (on paper) the defense could and should be better than what buffalo had. 

Unlikely. I think AT BEST we go 7-9, which would obviously still be a great year for us. But we're still a really young team with a head coach who has shown he's clueless, and a tough schedule on paper. We have the potential to really improve this year, but a lot of our roster still has a lot to prove - even if the talent is there.

It could happen, but it would take the perfect storm of our roster gelling together quickly, Tyrod picking up Haley's playbook fast, and the team staying relatively healthy.

I don't expect it.

However, I think that ranking us 31 is laughable, we have made a big jump.  But I get it, we are the Browns with nearly 2 decades of futility.  We could literally do a complete swap of roster and coaching staffs with the Patriots and still be ranked low because we are the Browns.  We will stay low on those rankings until we play our way up the ladder.

Archived