Toronto Raptors Fire HC Dwane Casey

J-ALL-DAY

19 hours ago, showtime said:

What a coward.

What exactly is he supposed to say?  That they shouldn't have fired Casey?  Looking like there's disconnect in the franchise probably is a worse look than this IMO.

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What exactly is he supposed to say?  That they shouldn't have fired Casey?  Looking like there's disconnect in the franchise probably is a worse look than this IMO.

How about the fact that he disappears and stinks it up in the post-season way more often than not?  Take some personal responsibility.  The players shrank, especially Lowry himself who under-preforms pretty much every postseason.  Where was Demar DeRozan during the Cavs series?  The coach took the bullet for a team of habitual chokers.

But yet it's fine that he's still very overpaid and he blows in the playoffs.  Guess that doesn't really matter when you can just fire the coach and then as the player who chokes every year support the organization in doing so.

Other than that, I don't really have a problem with what he said /s

1 hour ago, showtime said:

How about the fact that he disappears and stinks it up in the post-season way more often than not?  Take some personal responsibility.  The players shrank, especially Lowry himself who under-preforms pretty much every postseason.  Where was Demar DeRozan during the Cavs series?  The coach took the bullet for a team of habitual chokers.

But yet it's fine that he's still very overpaid and he blows in the playoffs.  Guess that doesn't really matter when you can just fire the coach and then as the player who chokes every year support the organization in doing so.

Agree 100%

9 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Agree 100%

Sure but this was the series that broke the camels back and to give Casey some credit to adjust and implement a brand new offensive system in this series Lowry was 18/9 and a 74 TS%. Lowry said what he felt was necessary to say I’m not gonna fault him for that right now. Blame DD instead for his absolutely abysmal series instead. 

I see DD was mentioned in the post you quoted I was more so replying to Lowry who actually had a really good playoffs this year. Again now Is probably the wrong time to try and defend anyone but it’s what I do. 

19 hours ago, showtime said:

I'm not disagreeing with that, but they're essentially scapegoating the coach for the limitations.  It's not Lowry's fault he's the first or second option, he's a 3rd option at best.  As is DeRozan.  This is a team that's a regular season team.  They weren't a real title contender.  It's a fundamental flaw for them.  They're not good enough to contend for a title, or bad enough to win the lottery.  They are the epitome of how to not run a franchise.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not disagreeing with that, but they're essentially scapegoating the coach for the limitations.  It's not Lowry's fault he's the first or second option, he's a 3rd option at best.  As is DeRozan.  This is a team that's a regular season team.  They weren't a real title contender.  It's a fundamental flaw for them.  They're not good enough to contend for a title, or bad enough to win the lottery.  They are the epitome of how to not run a franchise.

Like the Lakers they get to be a god damn disgrace for several years and somehow still be a FA destination because they’re the god damn Lakers. That’s how you run a team. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The Raptors are doing the best they can.  Lowry and DeRozan are legit really good players, generally speaking.  It is Lowry's fault that he plays well every regular season and then stinks it up in the playoffs.  @kyle21121 has made this point multiple times, but the Raptors are legit getting as far as they can go every year.  They always lose to the Cavs.  And IMO, they never could beat the Cavs.  While it's frustrating to win 59 games in the regular season and lose to the same team in the playoffs every year.... everyone in the east loses to them.  Hasn't LeBron been to like 8 straight Finals?  Nobody has beaten that man in damn near a decade.

The most frustrating thing is how the Raptors perform against LeBron in the postseason. If they would have gotten smacked and lost to the Wizards, then fine, fire the coach.  But how can you justify firing a coach who loses to LeBron every year? 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

The Raptors are doing the best they can.  Lowry and DeRozan are legit really good players, generally speaking.  It is Lowry's fault that he plays well every regular season and then stinks it up in the playoffs.  @kyle21121 has made this point multiple times, but the Raptors are legit getting as far as they can go every year.  They always lose to the Cavs.  And IMO, they never could beat the Cavs.  While it's frustrating to win 59 games in the regular season and lose to the same team in the playoffs every year.... everyone in the east loses to them.  Hasn't LeBron been to like 8 straight Finals?  Nobody has beaten that man in damn near a decade.

The most frustrating thing is how the Raptors perform against LeBron in the postseason. If they would have gotten smacked and lost to the Wizards, then fine, fire the coach.  But how can you justify firing a coach who loses to LeBron every year? 

They're good players, but they're never going to be players who are going to lead you to a championship as the top banana or even as the second fiddle.  Like you and kyle said, the Raptors have maxed themselves out, and they're not going to get any further.  I don't think there's a single coach in the NBA whose taking the Raptors from being a 2nd round and done.  That includes all the great coaches.  The Raptors aren't a team whose geared to beat teams like the C's/Cavs.  Maybe not even the Sixers.  They didn't win 59 games by accident.  The problem is in the playoffs, they're facing the same team over a 7 game series.  That's a WHOLE lot different than facing a different team every night.  Should they have not gotten swept by the Cavs?  Probably, but the Cavs were 2-1 against the Raptors in the regular season.

The Raptors weren't winning the series.  LeBron is just too good.  The Raptors are essentially scapegoating for the fact that their roster is mediocre.  For a team that people were touting as a darkhorse title contender, they just simply aren't good enough.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They're good players, but they're never going to be players who are going to lead you to a championship as the top banana or even as the second fiddle.  Like you and kyle said, the Raptors have maxed themselves out, and they're not going to get any further.  I don't think there's a single coach in the NBA whose taking the Raptors from being a 2nd round and done.  That includes all the great coaches.  The Raptors aren't a team whose geared to beat teams like the C's/Cavs.  Maybe not even the Sixers.  They didn't win 59 games by accident.  The problem is in the playoffs, they're facing the same team over a 7 game series.  That's a WHOLE lot different than facing a different team every night.  Should they have not gotten swept by the Cavs?  Probably, but the Cavs were 2-1 against the Raptors in the regular season.

The Raptors weren't winning the series.  LeBron is just too good.  The Raptors are essentially scapegoating for the fact that their roster is mediocre.  For a team that people were touting as a darkhorse title contender, they just simply aren't good enough.

Well, lets wait and see what happens.  There's a potential chance that LeBron leaves the conference this summer.  I still don't think the Raptors are the best team in the conference (Boston is), but if there's no LeBron the Raptors certainly have a better shot.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:06 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

I didn't know Masai wasn't the GM. Is the GM title for Webster just that, a title? 

whenever a team has a president of basketball operations, that's effectively the GM and the GM is the assistant GM, I believe. Orlando has the same kinda operation where Jeff Weltman makes the roster decisions with the title of president of basketball operations and john hammond is right hand man w/ title of gm. 

Archived