Duke Johnson feels disrespected ?

bosko1616

https://www.google.com/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/21/duke-johnsons-social-media-raises-some-eyebrows/amp/

could be nothing more then an overreaction by most on social media or is it a subtweet about his feelings of not having a new contract done by now and us adding two new RBs to what looks like a crowded backfield ? what’s your guys thought ? IMO we should have locked him up by now he’s a legit playmaker who can play multiple roles. The patriots have thrived with guys like this. He’s a top 5 3rd down back. 

Whatever. Yes, I’d like to see them lock him up. Just tired of these diva athletes and their passive aggression. 

Its hard to keep RBs these days from hitting the market; or, at least from playing through their contract pre-negotiations. Unfortunately for them, it’s just not a position that makes money competing against other position groups. 

He’s great at what he does, but what he does has limited value.

To me, “great 3rd down back and slot guy” reads as “can’t handle 20 carries a game between the tackles or line up on the perimeter as a WR”, both of which are things that get guys PAID.

Being a scatback and slot guy doesn’t in most cases.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s great at what he does, but what he does has limited value.

To me, “great 3rd down back and slot guy” reads as “can’t handle 20 carries a game between the tackles or line up on the perimeter as a WR”, both of which are things that get guys PAID.

Being a scatback and slot guy doesn’t in most cases.

I think he has the ability to be a 20 carry a game guy but so far he hasn't shown that he can physically handle the beating. In his limited carries he still has left the field a lot even if he did eventually make it back in the game and that isn't a good sign to be a workhorse back over a full season. He is good at what he does but you are right, he is only going to get paid for what he actually does.

28 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Lol you guys are the same who saw how underutilized he was last year, right? Duke is a good player and should get more touches with Haley running the O. 

I don’t disagree, and when he does that and handles the work load and produces then you can consider paying him top dollar, but he hasn’t really done that yet.

In other statements he has made he seems to be borrowing from Bells rhetoric of wanting to be paid like a rb and a wr. Running back is a relatively poorly paid position for the nfl so I can understand him trying to leverage his position like this. Also as a running back I would want to secure my future earlier rather than later. An injured running back doesn’t get paid. 

He is a good player and last year probably our best skill player. But like other have said he is limited in ability and durability. If I were Duke and the Browns I would take 3 years 6.5 per year. 

He is one of the most elusive backs in the nfl and every team would want him on their roster. He has a lot of upside and a special skill set. But he is also far from being a complete rb

9 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Lol you guys are the same who saw how underutilized he was last year, right? Duke is a good player and should get more touches with Haley running the O. 

No disagreement. Vague statuses and whiny behavior just don’t solve much. It is what it is as far as him getting paid, at the position he’s at. With that said, he needs more touches. He especially did last year, when we had no other playmakers. He was used as a decoy. Or, he’d have a big play and not even get any more PT. Hue was a terrible OC.

Unfortunately for him, not real sure I see him in an expanded role in his contract year. Not only did we bring in Hyde/Chubb to eat up RB reps, but with Landry coming in, the safety valve targets likely go down. Lots more options this coming season.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

He did prove it.  He fat and away accounted for more of our offense last year than any other person on the roster.

I don't know if I would use the term fat and away, mostly because it doesn't make sense. He had 6 more yards from scrimmage than Crowell. Duke was the most effective but as far as total production he and Crowell were practically even.

36 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't know if I would use the term fat and away, mostly because it doesn't make sense. He had 6 more yards from scrimmage than Crowell. Duke was the most effective but as far as total production he and Crowell were practically even.

Duke had more impact plays than crow imo

Archived