Tennis Thread

DoleINGout

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Thiem was up a break in the 5th, but Djokovic just broke back. On serve at 4-3 in the 5th.

And Thiem breaks right back! Djokovic was up 30-0 and collapsed. 3 unforced errors and a double fault.

Thiem serving for the match.

Wow. Big credit to Thiem for sticking it out after blowing the 2 match points on serve. Had a couple big time shots under pressure.

No Nadal-Djokovic final.

Hopefully Thiem can recover quickly and make it a little interesting tomorrow. He beat Nadal a few weeks ago on clay and has actually beaten him 4x on clay, but Nadal is a different animal in the Finals at the French.

Edited by seminoles1

And in a shocker, Nadal wins. At least Thiem took a set.

Nadal now 2 behind Federer and 3 ahead of Djokovic. I hope Federer wins Wimbledon, Djokovic gets the US Open, Nadal wins the Australian (I still wanna see him win 2+ of each and he only has 1 Australian) and French to start next season.

39 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Andy Murray apparently had a very successful surgery in January and is practicing almost pain free. He says he wants to return to singles action later this year.

That's awesome news.

He's been gone for quite a while....

• 3 weeks later...

Lively first day at Wimbledon - Tsitsipas and Zverev both gone and Osaka out on the women's side.

I have to keep reminding myself how young Zverev is in the grand scheme of things but with each passing Slam you do have to wonder how big this mental bloc is that he just can't get it together for these at all. I used to think it was inevitable he'd work it out but maybe we're all gonna blink and all of a sudden he's just another Dimitrov. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

Is it me or is Stan the Man always in friggin' marathon matches? Wawrinka's been my favorite player for some time now and he's always grinding games out. Dude has so many tools and so much talent, just sucks that he's in this era. I know it's looking more and more bleak as his career winds down but I've always hoped he'd get the career Grand Slam. He's 34 and has never been past the Quarters at Wimbledon so it's not likely he ever pulls it off. Sucks.

So am I sexist for thinking an unseeded man at Wimbledon would absolutely wreck the WTA #1 Ashleigh Barty?

Like, watching that Sousa-Evans match, I just was marveled at how good they were and I've watched the top women and thought...man, this is rough.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

So am I sexist for thinking an unseeded man at Wimbledon would absolutely wreck the WTA #1 Ashleigh Barty?

Like, watching that Sousa-Evans match, I just was marveled at how good they were and I've watched the top women and thought...man, this is rough.

No. Even if #1 was still Serena at her best you'd have to get into triple digit seeds before you really get to an even matchup

• Like 2