Supplemental Draft

moretti19

We can already scratch Dmitri Goodson regardless of his ST's ability; he's old, he's clueless in coverage, he got busted for PED's IIRC. Quentin Rollins can offer us more. We may just keep 6 CB's for the injury bug alone. King had his season cut short prematurely, both Rollins and House have been banged up. In all honesty, I think House finds his way to the final 53 simply because he's a veteran presence. Only House and Williams have more experience than the rest of those guys combined saving Rollins. I can't help but think we will find a way to stick Waters, Hawkins, and/or Pipkins on some sort of IR or PUP list to save them for next season so they can essentially take House's place on the roster and/or Rollins' place on the roster. 

If I had to make the decision right now, I'd keep the following: Williams(CB1), House(CB2), Alexander(CB3/Slot), King, Jackson, Pipkins. Admittedly, I just don't see how Rollins is kept off this roster at this point though and probably bumps Pipkins. Pipkins is the best of the 3rd tier of CB's IMO and is competing in camp with a chip on his shoulder. He showed some flashes last year so I'd rather cash in on Pipkins than roll with Rollins who can't stay healthy.

58 minutes ago, Joe said:

We can already scratch Dmitri Goodson regardless of his ST's ability; he's old, he's clueless in coverage, he got busted for PED's IIRC. Quentin Rollins can offer us more. We may just keep 6 CB's for the injury bug alone. King had his season cut short prematurely, both Rollins and House have been banged up. In all honesty, I think House finds his way to the final 53 simply because he's a veteran presence. Only House and Williams have more experience than the rest of those guys combined saving Rollins. I can't help but think we will find a way to stick Waters, Hawkins, and/or Pipkins on some sort of IR or PUP list to save them for next season so they can essentially take House's place on the roster and/or Rollins' place on the roster. 

If I had to make the decision right now, I'd keep the following: Williams(CB1), House(CB2), Alexander(CB3/Slot), King, Jackson, Pipkins. Admittedly, I just don't see how Rollins is kept off this roster at this point though and probably bumps Pipkins. Pipkins is the best of the 3rd tier of CB's IMO and is competing in camp with a chip on his shoulder. He showed some flashes last year so I'd rather cash in on Pipkins than roll with Rollins who can't stay healthy.

You bump House and his contract off the books.

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

But with Tramon, do you need TWO of those guys? He's been so-so when he's played and beat up alot.

I don't hate House, by any means, but if he's not one of my top 3-4, I'd rather keep younger back end guys.

Add in that we'll be light on ST at TE

Donatello Brown, Ladarius Gunter, Lenzy Pipkins, Josh Hawkins, Jermaine Whitehead, Marwin Evans, Demetri Goodson.

These men have all played snaps on starting defensive units for us the past 2 years.

Have you seen the injuries in our secondary lately? The Monstars would have to steal the mediocre amount of talent Davon House has to lose his roster spot. I don't care if he's the 5-6 CB, he's making my team. I don't care if he's a mediocre ST guy, he's also a mediocre CB, which is a hell of a lot better than the trash we've got killed by throwing out there.

Sam Beal trying to get into NFL's supplemental draft

Western Michigan cornerback Sam Beal is petitioning the NCAA to become eligible for the NFL's supplemental draft next month, when he could become the highest-selected player since the Browns used a second-round supplemental pick on Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon in 2012, per league sources.

Virginia Tech cornerback Adonis Alexander, who was ruled academically ineligible before being thrown off his team, is applying for the supplemental draft and will be a candidate to be picked as well.

Read More: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23713470/western-michigan-cb-sam-beal-trying-get-supplemental-draft

Very interesting. I'd pony up a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for Beal depending on why he's applying for the Supplemental Draft. Could really give our roster a plethora of CB talent after needing it. The positive is that we'd be picking #14 in each round, but hopefully only giving up #32.:D 

From WalterFootball:

2. Sam Beal, CB, Western Michigan 
Height: 6-1. Weight: 185. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.48. 
Projected Round (2019): 1-3. 

2/15/18: In speaking with sources, Beal (6-1, 185) is a cornerback who has created some buzz in the scouting community. He possesses good height and length for the NFL, but will need to gain some weight and strength to take on big pro receivers. In 2017, Beal recorded 26 tackles with two interceptions, one forced fumble and 10 passes broken up. He totaled 55 tackles with eight passes broken up in 2016.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019CB.php#ixzz5Hept0Gcw

10. Adonis Alexander, CB, Virginia Tech 
Height: 6-3. Weight: 193. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.56. 
Projected Round (2019): 3-4. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019CB.php#ixzz5Herm1XLi

I'd be okay burning up to a second on Beal.

-We have an extra first and we'll probably win 11ish games next year (the pick would be in the mid to late 50s)

-corners always get hurt. We are an injury away from House getting 30-40 snaps a game

23 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I'd be okay burning up to a second on Beal.

-We have an extra first and we'll probably win 11ish games next year (the pick would be in the mid to late 50s)

-corners always get hurt. We are an injury away from House getting 30-40 snaps a game

What if that doesn't scare me?

17 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Brandon Bryant a 6'0  210 safety from MSU that was timed at 4.24 and deadlifts 600 squats 450 and has a 36" vert is entering too, fits our new profile.

I'd rather give up a second for him than any corner.  Our corner situation is prepared for injury more than any year I can remember. 

We have 5 potential boundary corners (Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, House).  Rollins is probably the best 6th corner in the NFL.  We also have Pipkins. 

We have three potential capable starters at safety (Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones).  He looks like he had his speed set to 90 and everyone else on the field had their speed set to 50. 

Beal would potentially be a great value pick. The need isn't dire there anymore, but if you have a chance to get a potentially good CB, you get him. Kid has 1st round talent. I probably wouldn't use a 2nd on him, but I'd use a 3rd in the supp. draft and I think there is a good chance he's there simply because guys hardly ever get picked. Worst case, you stash him on the back-end of the roster this year and then you basically are adding another 1st round pick to your team next year. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'd rather give up a second for him than any corner.  Our corner situation is prepared for injury more than any year I can remember. 

We have 5 potential boundary corners (Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, House).  Rollins is probably the best 6th corner in the NFL.  We also have Pipkins. 

We have three potential capable starters at safety (Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones).  He looks like he had his speed set to 90 and everyone else on the field had their speed set to 50. 

We could probably get Bryant for a 4th.

Beal might go for a 2nd but Adonis Alexander and Brandon Bryant probably 3rd-4th's

Archived