Jump to content
Jeezla

2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Not sure if he'll declare, but TYREL DODSON has a chance to impress. He's not a 1st round prospect, imo, but he may get there at some point. He has a solid game against Alabama last year, and shows some promise for the future. Number 25 in this video, if you skip to the Texas A&M defensive series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_s0kjYP-Qs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been talking about him for 4 years but Stanford LB Bobby Okreke has all the potential in the world, hope he can breakout in his 5th year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

I have been talking about him for 4 years but Stanford LB Bobby Okreke has all the potential in the world, hope he can breakout in his 5th year

Really?

I honestly was never impressed with Okreke or any of those ILBs for Stanford last year.  Will see maybe they will improve a lot this year.  They were so weak up the middle last year I thought and that was even with Phillips ahead of them, sadly he made more tackles than some of the linebackers did.  They did not impress and that was an odd down year on defense for Stanford I thought.  

 

He is no Shayne Skov or Blake Martinez that is for sure as ILBs for Stanford, even guys like James Vaughters or AJ Tarpley were better at times at linebacker for them not to mention the freak show physical athlete in Trent Murphy but he was more of an OLB/DE type.  Okreke was around when most of those guys played so one would think he would learn more and develop better and when he got his chance to play.  Will see maybe I am wrong about him but yeah that Stanford defense was uncharacteristically bad last year I thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Really?

I honestly was never impressed with Okreke or any of those ILBs for Stanford last year.  Will see maybe they will improve a lot this year.  They were so weak up the middle last year I thought and that was even with Phillips ahead of them, sadly he made more tackles than some of the linebackers did.  They did not impress and that was an odd down year on defense for Stanford I thought.  

 

He is no Shayne Skov or Blake Martinez that is for sure as ILBs for Stanford, even guys like James Vaughters or AJ Tarpley were better at times at linebacker for them not to mention the freak show physical athlete in Trent Murphy but he was more of an OLB/DE type.  Okreke was around when most of those guys played so one would think he would learn more and develop better and when he got his chance to play.  Will see maybe I am wrong about him but yeah that Stanford defense was uncharacteristically bad last year I thought.  

He's been completely average so far but he's got some elite attributes(length, lateral quickness) and I hope he can put it together in his 5th year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

He's been completely average so far but he's got some elite attributes(length, lateral quickness) and I hope he can put it together in his 5th year 

Yeah I thought that about Peter Kalambayi on Stanford last year, was solid, actually probably more productive as a prospect earlier in his career than Okreke has ever shown.  But each year he never quite made that next step, even last year which should have been his big year he was arguably less explosive and productive as a pass rusher.  Really strong thick kid but never quite took it to the next level.  Will see if Okreke can improve off last year, he needs to get a lot stronger I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping Paddy Fisher shows a little more athleticism this year, but I'll attempt to watch him whenever televised. Eagles shouldn't draft early enough to take Devin White,  so Paddy is my realistically attainable mancrush LB to start this year off. TJ Edwards is prob my #2. 

Edited by Jeezla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's everyone's thoughts on Te'von Coney? Does he end up as a 1st/2nd rounder? Or more of a 3rd/4th rounder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How does Devin White compare vs Roquon Smith last year? Who do you have higher?

Devin White is more complete and it is not even close I feel, White is the better prospect.  He is better getting off blocks and stronger at the point of attack.  Roquon might be a little more athletic but for his size but White is really athletic I think also.  Roquon is good when he is protected by a good DL and surrounding LB talent like he is on the Bears currently.  White would be good regardless, really he did not play with a great DL on LSU and he was still very productive and again can get of blocks and shed blocks better.  Might have some issues in space but he has improved greatly with that I think compared to early in his career.  Roquon is a little more athletically explosive in terms of quickness but not by much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How does Devin White compare vs Roquon Smith last year? Who do you have higher?

I think Devin White is better, but they are two completely different kinds of players. Roquan gets eaten up by blockers but plays with such excellent pacing and gap shooting ability that he rarely has to take on the behemoths. He's much quicker and takes better angles than White. White is probably faster in a straight line, but what sets White apart is how hard he can thump with offensive lineman. He destroys OL coming downhill and has one of the meanest dispositions when taking on fullbacks and tackling RB's. He's a freaking tank that works downhill quickly. White has a hard time redirecting his hips when he overpursues, which is quite often unfortunately. He is also vulnerable to down blocks from OG's and TE's. He isn't very good at "hopping the fence" on down blocks and it results in him getting pinned inside. White is not without fault, but guys with that kind of violence, aggression, and speed are incredibly rare. And he's not terrible at tracking angles and reading guards. It's just not next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was once a great ILB class has dwindled down significantly. A lot of guys I had pegged as starting MIKES went back to school.

Paddy Fisher, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Bachie...it's disappointing.

 

I really like Devin White (Top 15) and Khalil Hodge (3rd-5th round), but now the depth at ILB seems to have fallen off a cliff. I don't really like any of the later round guys. There are some WLB/SLB types that I really like, but we are missing the thumpers now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 12:46 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

What’s everyone’s take on Cameron Smith from USC?

Not a great fit for the modern NFL game. Useless against the pass, which is a death sentence in the pros. Plus he's too aggressive for his own good, routinely flying to the action and taking himself out of plays. He's basically the exact opposite of Roquan Smith. Everything Roquan excels at Cameron is terrible at. And vice versa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×