Sign in to follow this  
Jeezla

2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Not sure if he'll declare, but TYREL DODSON has a chance to impress. He's not a 1st round prospect, imo, but he may get there at some point. He has a solid game against Alabama last year, and shows some promise for the future. Number 25 in this video, if you skip to the Texas A&M defensive series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_s0kjYP-Qs

I have been talking about him for 4 years but Stanford LB Bobby Okreke has all the potential in the world, hope he can breakout in his 5th year

30 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

I have been talking about him for 4 years but Stanford LB Bobby Okreke has all the potential in the world, hope he can breakout in his 5th year

Really?

I honestly was never impressed with Okreke or any of those ILBs for Stanford last year.  Will see maybe they will improve a lot this year.  They were so weak up the middle last year I thought and that was even with Phillips ahead of them, sadly he made more tackles than some of the linebackers did.  They did not impress and that was an odd down year on defense for Stanford I thought.  

He is no Shayne Skov or Blake Martinez that is for sure as ILBs for Stanford, even guys like James Vaughters or AJ Tarpley were better at times at linebacker for them not to mention the freak show physical athlete in Trent Murphy but he was more of an OLB/DE type.  Okreke was around when most of those guys played so one would think he would learn more and develop better and when he got his chance to play.  Will see maybe I am wrong about him but yeah that Stanford defense was uncharacteristically bad last year I thought.  

31 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Really?

I honestly was never impressed with Okreke or any of those ILBs for Stanford last year.  Will see maybe they will improve a lot this year.  They were so weak up the middle last year I thought and that was even with Phillips ahead of them, sadly he made more tackles than some of the linebackers did.  They did not impress and that was an odd down year on defense for Stanford I thought.  

He is no Shayne Skov or Blake Martinez that is for sure as ILBs for Stanford, even guys like James Vaughters or AJ Tarpley were better at times at linebacker for them not to mention the freak show physical athlete in Trent Murphy but he was more of an OLB/DE type.  Okreke was around when most of those guys played so one would think he would learn more and develop better and when he got his chance to play.  Will see maybe I am wrong about him but yeah that Stanford defense was uncharacteristically bad last year I thought.  

He's been completely average so far but he's got some elite attributes(length, lateral quickness) and I hope he can put it together in his 5th year 

10 minutes ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

He's been completely average so far but he's got some elite attributes(length, lateral quickness) and I hope he can put it together in his 5th year 

Yeah I thought that about Peter Kalambayi on Stanford last year, was solid, actually probably more productive as a prospect earlier in his career than Okreke has ever shown.  But each year he never quite made that next step, even last year which should have been his big year he was arguably less explosive and productive as a pass rusher.  Really strong thick kid but never quite took it to the next level.  Will see if Okreke can improve off last year, he needs to get a lot stronger I feel.