2019 Draft Off-Ball LB Prospect General Discussion Thread

Jeezla

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It depends on where you're talking about a guy obviously, round-wise.  But if you're into the mid-rounds and you're talking about a LBer...do you want a guy whose floor is..."athletic STer" with the upside of starting LBer in a couple years?  Or a guy whose ceiling is basically "depth LBer" with less athletic ST play?

When are you faced with that decision in the mid rounds? That sounds more like a late round option.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I don't see this at all. Roquan Smith was a beast at pacing and staying back to avoid blockers. Devin Bush is going to be fine. He's an excellent football player and plays the position the way it is supposed to be played.

Remember Darron Lee? That's a prime example of a terrible linebacker. He would be overly aggressive and get piledriven out of the play at times. Then when they actually ran to him, he'd stand there like a deer in the headlights and get eviscerated. That's an example of someone that doesn't get it. Devin Bush gets it. I'm not sure why you don't like him. The only times I see him screw up are when he's blitzed out of the play, which is out of his control. He's also playing out of position having to play lined up over guards all the time. He should be aligned at the edge of the box, where he'll be in the NFL.

Roquan had elite run defense stats. Bush's are incredibly mediocre. He's going to be an elite pass game weapon though. His tackling could improve of course, but its currently not good for a first round LB. Roquan's tackling was special.

21 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It depends on where you're talking about a guy obviously, round-wise.  But if you're into the mid-rounds and you're talking about a LBer...do you want a guy whose floor is..."athletic STer" with the upside of starting LBer in a couple years?  Or a guy whose ceiling is basically "depth LBer" with less athletic ST play?

Generally high ceiling players are drafted in the 1st 2 rounds. Higher ceiling players are also the very athletic players.   Mainly because there are not many and all teams hope they can teach the player.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Roquan had elite run defense stats. Bush's are incredibly mediocre. He's going to be an elite pass game weapon though. His tackling could improve of course, but its currently not good for a first round LB. Roquan's tackling was special.

Stats aren't a big deal. I didn't notice major tackling issues. I like Bush better than I liked Roquan. Bush is a stronger player at the POA.

7 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I've been hearing alot of Cashman hype lately. I haven't really watched him alot though.

He's going to be a solid pro and excellent special teams guy, but I'm not giving him a 1st round grade. Nobody in their right mind should. I think he's at best a 4th round pick. The thought of him going in the top 30 seems laughable.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

He's going to be a solid pro and excellent special teams guy, but I'm not giving him a 1st round grade. Nobody in their right mind should. I think he's at best a 4th round pick. The thought of him going in the top 30 seems laughable.

From what I read about him, he seems like a 3rd/4th round prospect.

Just now, johndeere1707 said:

Why isn’t Mack Wilson getting the love that Devin Bush is getting? I know Bush tested better at the combine, but the tape I’ve seen of Wilson is pretty comparable. 

I never understood why Wilson was ever getting the love Bush did. Wilson looked very average to me.

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

Why isn’t Mack Wilson getting the love that Devin Bush is getting? I know Bush tested better at the combine, but the tape I’ve seen of Wilson is pretty comparable. 

Excellent in coverage, lost when the box is cloudy. He’s a run & chase cover guy. Questionable instincts and even more questions about his ability to take on blockers. While White isn’t elite at making reads, he’s about 100x better at blasting guards and fullbacks. 

Archived