The Travel Thread

On 11/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, JoshstraDaymus said:

I'm very excited. Next week I get to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Orlando? I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and I’m not even really into HP. Have fun dude, it’s a really cool park. 

I’m in the early planning stages of a vacation for Summer 2021, before graduating Fall 2021  

I’m going solo and want to take one more trip before I begin 9-5 office life. I’m open to suggestions as I prefer to go somewhere new.  I’ve been to various European countries and have little desire to see any new places in Africa.

Current potential spots include: French Polynesia, Iceland, Switzerland, Antarctica, Australia, Japan, or just taking a 2-4 weeks backcountry camping in national parks with the occasional hotel stay. Also thought about just taking a road trip to the east coast to see historical places in Philly, DC, etc  

Thoughts? 

Edited by kingseanjohn

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m in the early planning stages of a vacation for Summer 2021, before graduating Fall 2021  

I’m going solo and want to take one more trip before I begin 9-5 office life. I’m open to suggestions as I prefer to go somewhere new.  I’ve been to various European countries and have little desire to see any new places in Africa.

Current potential spots include: French Polynesia, Iceland, Switzerland, Antarctica, Australia, Japan, or just taking a 2-4 weeks backcountry camping in national parks with the occasional hotel stay. Also thought about just taking a road trip to the east coast to see historical places in Philly, DC, etc  

Thoughts? 

Places listed, I'd easily say Iceland, Switzerland or Japan. I'd throw out doing Vietnam or some combination of Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Myanmar.

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Thoughts? 

I'm assuming you're meaning US summer, i.e. June-August kinda timing?

What are your hobbies? Do you like hiking? (Or trekking, backpacking... whatever you want to call it, overnight walking) If so, lots of options at that time of year. Ever been to India before? Ladakh is great around then. Rest of the Himalayas are in the monsoon, but Ladakh is in the rain shadow, so remains dry and fairly stable weather-wise. Could go to Greenland, the Lofoten Islands or the Faroe Islands if you're wanting somewhere a little different in Europe. 

If you're headed to Australia, that's the best time of year to see the north as it's the dry season. Good time to visit Cairns, see the reef etc. Less good to be further down south, though anything in NSW and above will probably be fine. Weather tends to get worse and colder as you head south. Tassie (where I'm from) is great, but best seen in the summer when you can spend more time outside.

Also a good time to be in the central andes - e.g. walks to the Cordilleras Blanca y Huayhuash out of Huaraz, the Cordillera Real in Bolivia etc. Go and see the salt flats, the Atacama etc. 

On 28/10/2019 at 6:53 AM, skywindO2 said:

If no kids and not into Disney, you can save a decent chunk of money going with any other cruise line. I like NCL and RC quite a bit, they're both pretty comparable. Haven't tried Carnival but I'm open to it. Best cruise I've been on was Celebrity but they're a premium line with prices more in line with Disney.

I've got another RC cruise coming up in February. 

You, or anyone else ever done one of them Viking river cruises?  That seems like my jam, if i had thousands of spare dollars and time to meander through Europe on a boat.  Like...i'd really like to do one of them.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Thoughts? 

Depending on how much time you have I'd recommend Japan or Vietnam

For Japan, I think the best thing to do is to JR line (train) hop from city to city. Arrive in the morning, spend the day seeing each cities sites, eating great food, spend the night, wake up hop on the train to the next city. Not sure what you travel desires are, but Japan is chillvibes personified, and truly a delight to travel in.

For Vietnam, you could do a motorbike trip. Meet tons of people doing a Hanoi -> HCMC trek. I did a three day ride in Northern Vietnam (In the mountains on the border with China) that was easily my top travel moment. Homestays in Northern Vietnam are awesome, the food is mind blowing. Besides motorbiking, there are a number of amazing areas, like Ha Long, Ninh Binh and Mai Chau. The issue with Vietnam (and SE Asia in general) is its difficult to get around. You can end up spending swaths of your time on crowded buses. 

On 11/4/2019 at 11:49 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Places listed, I'd easily say Iceland, Switzerland or Japan. I'd throw out doing Vietnam or some combination of Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Myanmar.

I have an old work friend living in Vietnam so I considered a trip there. It'd be a night or two of free board and a local guide that I trust.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:15 AM, biggbrd said:

I'm assuming you're meaning US summer, i.e. June-August kinda timing?

What are your hobbies? Do you like hiking? (Or trekking, backpacking... whatever you want to call it, overnight walking) If so, lots of options at that time of year. Ever been to India before? Ladakh is great around then. Rest of the Himalayas are in the monsoon, but Ladakh is in the rain shadow, so remains dry and fairly stable weather-wise. Could go to Greenland, the Lofoten Islands or the Faroe Islands if you're wanting somewhere a little different in Europe. 

If you're headed to Australia, that's the best time of year to see the north as it's the dry season. Good time to visit Cairns, see the reef etc. Less good to be further down south, though anything in NSW and above will probably be fine. Weather tends to get worse and colder as you head south. Tassie (where I'm from) is great, but best seen in the summer when you can spend more time outside.

Also a good time to be in the central andes - e.g. walks to the Cordilleras Blanca y Huayhuash out of Huaraz, the Cordillera Real in Bolivia etc. Go and see the salt flats, the Atacama etc. 

Yeah, US Summer. Somewhere between mid-May to early August.

I do love hiking and backpacking. I'm still have foot/ankle stability issues though so I'm hoping to be over that by then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, animaltested said:

For Japan, I think the best thing to do is to JR line (train) hop from city to city. Arrive in the morning, spend the day seeing each cities sites, eating great food, spend the night, wake up hop on the train to the next city. Not sure what you travel desires are, but Japan is chillvibes personified, and truly a delight to travel in.

I have a friend who does something similar every few years. His dad is a pilot so he gets free flights basically anywhere and frequents Japan. I've never really heard anything bad from anyone who's been to Japan. I"ll have to look into the JR line and costs and all that.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I have a friend who does something similar every few years. His dad is a pilot so he gets free flights basically anywhere and frequents Japan. I've never really heard anything bad from anyone who's been to Japan. I"ll have to look into the JR line and costs and all that.

There is a JR Pass tourist can buy, that allows for unlimited use for a period of time. The train ends up being slight cheaper, and more comfortable than a plane, considering getting to the airport, checking in, and security. But depends on the amount of time you are spending there. 

On 11/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, kingseanjohn said:

You have a substantial chunk of time available, so I'd focus on the stuff that would be harder to pull off on a shorter trip.
Toss out the east coast, you can hit those over your lifetime without too much trouble.
Do you want a people, culture, food type experience or solitude and grandeur ? Maybe a little of each ?

Switzerland is epic and Japan is fantastic -  and the train option is a winner for both.

A backcountry tour through Yosemite, Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce etc would be the trip of a lifetime
Below is the famous Grand Circle tour of Southwestern parks

https://www.us-parks.com/roadtrip/the-grand-circle-road-trip.html

kudos for doing it, you will thank yourself forever...

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

A backcountry tour through Yosemite, Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce etc would be the trip of a lifetime
Below is the famous Grand Circle tour of Southwestern parks

Not sure how I haven't heard of this, but I'm intrigued. My initial thought was something like Badlands, Yellowstone, Arches, and maybe Great Sand Dunes. I live in the Midwest, so I'd be heading west for most national parks.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

kudos for doing it, you will thank yourself forever...

I've been very fortunate to travel a LOT for my current job and been to some amazing places. But I haven't taken a personal vacation in probably 8 years or more. I could definitely use the me time while I can afford to take it.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Coming home from a trip sucks so much. Going to work tomorrow is going to be very miserable.

I loved my experience at ICN Seoul airport. I don't think my 12 hour layover could have been more pleasant. 

Other than Changi Singapore, Seoul's got the best airport in the world. I may or may not purposefully book a longer layover there.

Coming home definitely sucks after a trip, especially if it's been a great trip. Think my hardest time coming home was after Tanzania.