Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

CP3/Harden/Capela were 53-7 when the 3 of them played last year, including the playoffs. Ariza missed 15 games last year, and the rockets went 14-1 in those games and had wins over the Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, T-wolves and 76ers. Offensively Melo had his worst season last year, playing with Westbrook, who has that effect on people. Just go ask Victor Oladipo how easier it is to get away from him. the Thunder have amazingly bad floor spacing, not as bad as it will be this season, but really bad. the starting 5 featured 3 non 3 point shooters. He will always be on the court with 4 3 point shooters in Houston. 

Also, the CP3 effect, The contract year effect, The experience of last season effect......all these things point towards Melo understanding his role. Even last year, Melo shot a respectable 46% on tightly contested 2s. Having guys like CP3 and Melo who can get mid range shots when nothing else is falling is the key to beating the warriors. We saw that with CP3 this season. His ability to end runs in games 4 and 5 were key, and not having that in games 6 and 7 cost a championship. 

We still have the ability to match up defensively as well. Not to mention the warriors team this season is going to be vastly different than the past 4 seasons if Cousins in healthy and they are going to start and play him. I honestly think it makes them more beatable because it makes them different. When you are unstoppable, becoming different gives other teams a chance. in a rockets vs warriors series, should it come to that, The rockets can go even deeper because Nene can match up with Cousins for a few minutes each game. Ennis gives us a guy who can match up with Iggy or any of the other bench wings. Tucker will be forced to play Durant, but its not like we could stop durant last year. In fact CP3 and Capela had the most success on switches anyway. There are places to put Melo on D against the warriors. iggy and Draymond are not going to blow past anyone. Harden is a key to being able to play Melo, Harden played really solid D all of last year. 

We have options. gerald Green played big minutes in the post season last year, and hes not any better on D than Melo is. Then there is Ryan Anderson, who shoots it better from 3, but cant create his own shot, and cant catch and drive the way Melo can. Melo was also a .5 DPM better than Anderson was last year. 

The good thing about basketball is that we will get to see how this all shakes out starting in about 2 months when training camp opens. I will say this, if Melo can't fit in here and make it work next year, then his career is finished. 

Personally I will give a 34 year old Hall of Famer the benefit of the doubt, especially on a vet min deal. 

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Not to mention the warriors team this season is going to be vastly different than the past 4 seasons if Cousins in healthy and they are going to start and play him. I honestly think it makes them more beatable because it makes them different. When you are unstoppable, becoming different gives other teams a chance.

How can you have this opinion on Boogie with the Warriors but have the opposite about Melo joining the Rockets?

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i bet yall were the same ones who thought harden and paul wouldnt work out too huh?  if you seriously think anderson is more playable than melo now then i dont know what to tell you.

Ok Melo is more playable than Andersen. Big whoop. What is that really saying? Like saying Nick Young is more playable than Lance Stephenson.

26 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i bet yall were the same ones who thought harden and paul wouldnt work out too huh?  if you seriously think anderson is more playable than melo now then i dont know what to tell you.

Melo was literally one of the worst players in the league last year...

7 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:
13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

This is also the same fanbase that think MCW will be a positive. 

who said that?  any logical rockets knows MCW is trash and is only here as a bench warmer. no way he will get significant minutes backing up CP3.

19 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

MCW is a huge upgrade as well. Anyone who endured Bobby Brown and the g-league scrub of the week getting minutes when one of our 3 guards was out will tell you that having MCW sitting on the end of the bench for 12 minutes a game when we are short handed is a major improvement. 

Archived