Free Agency Thread

resilient part 2

9 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

you guys know that the Rockets could cut or, wild idea here, not play Melo if things don't work out in the regular season or playoffs, right?

Right but the problem is they lost Ariza and MBM

9 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

you guys know that the Rockets could cut or, wild idea here, not play Melo if things don't work out in the regular season or playoffs, right?

There’s 2 parts to this equation:

1) Melo sucks and is a cancer

2) HOU still lost 2 of their best 3 perimeter defenders. Sure Mbah a Moute didn’t play a lot in the playoffs. The loss of Ariza alone is bad enough.

I give Houston the benefit of the doubt on LMAM walking. Coming off the injury at that age I'm not really expecting too much. We'll see 

Like I said when the signing was made - Melo probably has more upside in a playoff series than ppl are giving him credit for. The team definitely got worse as a regular season team, but that's not really what they are caring about at this point, no? 

Morey's Analytics rarely yields a bad fit for our team. His worst signing was Ryan Anderson, and that was still a good fit, it was just an overpay. I would do it again though because without Ryan Anderson, we dont get the 3 seed seed and make round 2 in 2017, and without that we probably dont land CP3 the following off season. 

Dwight Howard didnt quite work out but we made the WCF with him. Guys like Corey Brewer, Josh Smith, Terrance Jones and the list goes on and on and on of guys who have over achieved for us. I mean Omer Asik averaged a double double on our playoff team. People hate on Harden, but he makes the guys around him better. 

You can not fault the rockets for any of the moves we have made this off season. Year 4 of CP3's deal is tough, but you have give it to him. Houston couldn't pay 33 year old Ariza who has a ton of miles on him 15 million next year. Mbah A Moute would have been a logical replacement for him, but Houston's medical staff knows the injury better than anyone and decided he wasnt worth the MLE. Our additions have been great. Melton was a steal in the mid 2nd round, biggest of the draft according to the analytics models we use. Hartenstien is another young guy we groomed in the G-League who should be joining us as the 3rd big. MCW becomes our 3rd PG. These end of the bench upgrades might not seem like much but could make a 2-3 win difference in our season during games where guys are dealing with injuries. 

The two big additions are James Ennis, who I think will be an under rated pick up. He has all the tools to be a solid 3 and D guy in the rockets switching defense. Then you have Melo. When Harden and CP3 decided to work together, you had to go get CP3 and trust them to work it out. The same is said about Melo. CP3 and Harden both really wanted Melo, so you have to trust them to work out the roles.

4 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Right but the problem is they lost Ariza and MBM

4 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

The loss of Ariza alone is bad enough.

His defense, while still versatile, has clearly lost a step. And while he can still hit his spot-up threes, smart teams (see San Antonio last year and Golden State this year) have closed out on him hard, forcing him to put the ball on the floor and create off the dribble, which has seen disastrous results for the Rockets.

Ariza’s also been mostly hot garbage overall in the playoffs in two of the last three seasons. He shot 14 percent from deep and and 25 percent overall from the field in the 2016 playoffs. He was an astonishing -8.3 in offensive plus-minus. He played better in 2017, but was bad again in this year’s postseason. He shot 28 from three and 35 percent from the field and finished a -1.7 in offensive plus-minus.

11 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Morey's Analytics rarely yields a bad fit for our team. His worst signing was Ryan Anderson, and that was still a good fit, it was just an overpay. I would do it again though because without Ryan Anderson, we dont get the 3 seed seed and make round 2 in 2017, and without that we probably dont land CP3 the following off season. 

Dwight Howard didnt quite work out but we made the WCF with him. Guys like Corey Brewer, Josh Smith, Terrance Jones and the list goes on and on and on of guys who have over achieved for us. I mean Omer Asik averaged a double double on our playoff team. People hate on Harden, but he makes the guys around him better. 

You can not fault the rockets for any of the moves we have made this off season. Year 4 of CP3's deal is tough, but you have give it to him. Houston couldn't pay 33 year old Ariza who has a ton of miles on him 15 million next year. Mbah A Moute would have been a logical replacement for him, but Houston's medical staff knows the injury better than anyone and decided he wasnt worth the MLE. Our additions have been great. Melton was a steal in the mid 2nd round, biggest of the draft according to the analytics models we use. Hartenstien is another young guy we groomed in the G-League who should be joining us as the 3rd big. MCW becomes our 3rd PG. These end of the bench upgrades might not seem like much but could make a 2-3 win difference in our season during games where guys are dealing with injuries. 

The two big additions are James Ennis, who I think will be an under rated pick up. He has all the tools to be a solid 3 and D guy in the rockets switching defense. Then you have Melo. When Harden and CP3 decided to work together, you had to go get CP3 and trust them to work it out. The same is said about Melo. CP3 and Harden both really wanted Melo, so you have to trust them to work out the roles.

I see your point with most of the post. But you had to get CP3 because he was a top 15 player and you hoped they could work it out. I would not say Melo is quite the same. 

I really like isaiah Hartenstien. He has a chance to be a solid #2 big man. Getting him locked in for 3 years, we can let him play most of the season in the g-league but give him some game action when Nene sits, and next year he should be ready to take over full time as our 14 minute back up big. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

i tried to reach that as impartially as possible, and it sounds to me like Melo will be coming off the bench and he just setting to the tone to say it was his idea, and not because hes not the player he once was. 

Can't wait until the point in the season when all the Rockets fans turn on Melo for the same reasons everyone else is pointing right now.

At least the Capela signing was a great move.

Archived