Cyberpunk 2077

Geek

1 hour ago, Danger said:

From the reports I've heard it's far from EA/Ubisoft/Bioware levels of Crunch.

For 6 weeks, the team is being asked to work an extra (8 hours, 1 day) a week. Additionally. 10% of the companies profits annually (estimated to be $500M yearly) is paid out between it's 1000 employees. On average a $50,000 bonus. 

For reference the average polish person earns ~$15,000 a year.

Oh and unlike other Game Developers, CDPR is paying their staff for overtime.

Yeah I think not a lot of people realize that. 
It sucks but it’s nice that they are well compensated.

1 hour ago, elevators_rule said:

That's insanely generous.

I bet they're employees have no problem working the extra time.

It's weird to me seeing everyone get so pissed about this. Like, it's not even an unreasonable amount of overtime. It's still less than 50 hours a week. Many normal jobs across the US force employees to work 60+ hours every week for basic overtime. These people are working 48 hours a week, getting paid OT and making that insane bonus and people are threatening not to buy the game...? Do you threaten not to eat at busy restaurants or hire a lawyer too? Because those are just some other places where OT is super typical, often much more than 48 hours.

I’m sure it’s a mixed bag, like getting your Saturday yanked from you for over a month sucks. Some devs love the crunch culture, others don’t. I think that’s something a lot of reporting on it just ignores.

Like I know for myself I do some of my best work in crunch. But I can definitely see it as an unhealthy thing, especially when you can manage yourself and your business better to not have to turn to it as much.

I would say just because things are common doesn’t necessarily make them right. I have a lot of lawyers and teachers in my family. As well as other industries that do this, and it sucks. Like what’s the point of it all if you have to grind out 60 hour weeks over 6/7 days? Think a lot of industries could either pay people better or hire more people, instead of the trend my whole working life where they consolidate 2-4 jobs into one person that they underpay.

CDPR is definitely on the better end of this for sure though.

On 10/5/2020 at 8:13 AM, elevators_rule said:

That's insanely generous.

I bet they're employees have no problem working the extra time.

It's weird to me seeing everyone get so pissed about this. Like, it's not even an unreasonable amount of overtime. It's still less than 50 hours a week. Many normal jobs across the US force employees to work 60+ hours every week for basic overtime. These people are working 48 hours a week, getting paid OT and making that insane bonus and people are threatening not to buy the game...? Do you threaten not to eat at busy restaurants or hire a lawyer too? Because those are just some other places where OT is super typical, often much more than 48 hours.

Crunch in the gaming industry usually isn’t so generous.

14 hours ago, Xenos said:

Crunch in the gaming industry usually isn’t so generous.

True, a lot of bigger studios (especially US or Japanese studios) pay much less money and often times require much longer hours. CD Projekt Red is clearly different, though.

It's just strange to me that so many people in the media crucified them without having a full story. They painted a picture of them working ~80 hour weeks to finish the game before release with little compensation. The fact that they're just losing their Saturdays for a month and getting paid tens of thousands of dollars to do so shows a much different reality.

• Like 1

More context about CDPR's crunch:

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/7/21505804/cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-red-crunch-youtube-jason-schreier-labor-the-witcher-3

According to Schreier, part of the disconnect comes from pure misinformation. As commentators take reporting and recount it to their viewers, details might get changed or not explained with the nuance and context present in the original report. One of the leading misconceptions about CD Projekt Red’s situation, for example, is that its mandatory crunch merely lasted for a short period before going gold, once per week, for seven days total.

But Schreier’s latest reporting was only detailing the newest instance of crunch at the studio. That same article says that, previously, the studio crunched for months to create things like the demo the public saw at E3. CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kicinski has also admitted that some crunch would be inevitable during an investor call in January. And, more importantly, having an official order to crunch does not necessarily correlate with when crunch actually unfolds. Crunch is often an unspoken ambient pressure.

“CDPR have been crunching for months or even on-and-off for years,” Schreier told Polygon over Twitter.

“Anyone who’s experienced or written about crunch culture knows that it doesn’t have to be ‘mandatory’ to be mandatory,” Schreier continued. “When an office embraces crunch, you’re in there constantly, working nights and weekends because it’s what’s expected of you. Sometimes your boss will tell you to stay late, but often, it just happens. Maybe you’re given too many tasks to finish in eight hours, or maybe you just don’t want to be the first person out the door.”

The mandate, in other words, was merely written confirmation of conditions that, according to Schreier, have “existed at CDPR for a long time.”

The picture is grim. As Schreier tells it, however, there is reason to be optimistic. While things haven’t massively changed since 2004’s “EA Spouse” scandal, an early high-profile account of the tolls of crunch culture, some people are a little more educated about the issue in 2020. Reporting on the problem of crunch has become more common as well. The trick is whether the public learns the right information, while also putting aside its fandom to hold the people in power accountable.

“I think what some folks fail to understand is that CDPR embracing crunch doesn’t make it some sort of horrible devil company,” Schreier said. “There’s a large chunk of the gaming community that categorizes people and companies into good and evil without recognizing complications or nuances, which can drive discourse into some pretty awful directions.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m all for taking time to make a game, but this just looks terrible on their end.  We’re less than a month from the release date, a release date they promised MULTIPLE times would happen after having already delayed the game a couple of times already.

Obviously they wouldn’t delay the game unless it was necessary, but next time they should just wait on penciling in a release date. 

Oh well.  Hope Dec 10 actually happens.  I expect another delay.

Edited by iknowcool

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Honestly, not even mad. Get it done and get it right. Don't rush. We're in a *bleeping* pandemic. Not everything can go smoothly. 

My thoughts too, sad...but get it.

Also gives me a month to hunt down a Series X to play Cyberpunk on.

Guess I’ll buy AC Valhalla now when it comes out, can cash in my reward points and probably get it pretty cheap. Between that and the Destiny expansion on Gamepass it might be my cheapest Fall in gaming. Since I got Cyberpunk free too.

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I’m all for taking time to make a game, but this just looks terrible on their end.  We’re less than a month from the release date, a release date they promised MULTIPLE times would happen after having already delayed the game a couple of times already.

Obviously they wouldn’t delay the game unless it was necessary, but next time they should just wait on penciling in a release date.

I think yeah if they could do it again they’d just wait and announce it as a next gen only title or that 1st delay this year would’ve been to Spring of next year.