2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 10/4/2017 at 9:28 PM, BrownLeader said:

I'm still trying to sort through this class but I like Cam Phillips. Really good cod and snatches with great hands.

Any early thoughts from you all where he might fit in this draft? Obviously Ford and Hodges last year were disappointed with how far they fell.

On 11/22/2017 at 3:23 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

I'll throw a toolsy kid out there after his big game against Iowa; Anthony Mahoungou. Born in France, went the JUCO route before ending up at Purdue. He is big, smooth, and fast. He is a raw talent (doesn't extend with his arms much for the ball, route running needs work), but his athleticism is impressive. Purdue would get bowl-eligible with a win this weekend against Indiana. It would be great if he could work himself into a postseason game invite. Not sure if he is draftable yet, but I'd expect him to be in a camp next year because his fluidity for his size is impreesive.

Anybody see this kid's TD catch against Indiana this past weekend? Mahoungou ended the season well and I'm looking forward to see what bowl game the Boilermakers end up in. The run he pieced together at the end of the year, if he tests well, somebody is going to take a flier on him late.

Juwan Johnson (if he declares) could surprise. He shows a lot of impressive skills for a bigger receiver. Good hands catcher. Nice body control. Little wasted movement in routes, offers a little run after the catch, and has a physical element to his game. Reminds me a bit of a Dez lite. 

9 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

Anybody see this kid's TD catch against Indiana this past weekend? Mahoungou ended the season well and I'm looking forward to see what bowl game the Boilermakers end up in. The run he pieced together at the end of the year, if he tests well, somebody is going to take a flier on him late.

As the only Purdue fan on the internet, I agree with your assessment.  He was rather unimpressive earlier in the season and had some very inopportune drops.  But in recent weeks he has stepped up big time and has been our only viable threat on the outside.  He definitely has the tools to succeed.  I'd still consider him an UDFA at this point but it's possible his stock heats up in the offseason much like his ex-teammate DeAngelo Yancey last year.

11 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Any early thoughts from you all where he might fit in this draft? Obviously Ford and Hodges last year were disappointed with how far they fell.

I watched him a bunch last year when I was evaluating Jerod Evans. He's an interesting player. Built like a running back and plays mainly from the slot. He's got so-so hands but he has nice burst to his game. I peg him asa 4th+ round guy. Doesn't have any outstanding traits.

9 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Anthony Miller - Memphis is among my top receivers of the class. There will be a lot more guys that look better in the combine outfits but his ball skills are elite. 

Will he be in your top WR's if he still only runs 4.65 like he did out of HS? Not saying he will only run 4.65, I'm just asking what if....

55 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Will he be in your top WR's if he still only runs 4.65 like he did out of HS? Not saying he will only run 4.65, I'm just asking what if....

4.65 isn’t that bad, but if all his other combine numbers like vertical, cone, shuttle, and broad jump sucks then I’ll of course consider him lesser. But a great senior bowl might negate a bad combine so we’ll have to keep an eye. 

3 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Gallup reminds me of Demaryius Thomas

Really? I don't see the likeness at all. Gallup is significantly smaller at around 6'1" and 200 lbs. Further, he wins in different ways. Gallup is a leaner middle sized guy who wins like a bigger guy and Thomas is a big guy who wins like a small guy. Gallup reminds me most of Marvin Jones.

Thomas Owens was the #1 guy in the country in yard per route (probably still is) before he missed the last two games with injury. Was also on pace to break T.Y. Hilton's school record for catches and yards despite having pretty much no help on a disappointing offense. Not saying he's a first round pick but he's strong, has excellent hands/ball skills and seems to be a decent enough athlete to at least by a guy to look at in the later rounds.

Haven't been able to watch enough of guys I was interested in like Deon Cain, Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton to see how I like them. I'll have to watch some stuff after the year.

46 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Thomas Owens was the #1 guy in the country in yard per route (probably still is) before he missed the last two games with injury. Was also on pace to break T.Y. Hilton's school record for catches and yards despite having pretty much no help on a disappointing offense. Not saying he's a first round pick but he's strong, has excellent hands/ball skills and seems to be a decent enough athlete to at least by a guy to look at in the later rounds.

Haven't been able to watch enough of guys I was interested in like Deon Cain, Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton to see how I like them. I'll have to watch some stuff after the year.

Pretty much all the G5 Florida schools have an intriguing WR prospect. Owens might be the best but Tre'Quan Smith at UCF is very intriguing and Marquez Valdes-Scantling is a big target who had decent success his first two years at NC State. Kalib Woods just got healthy again for FAU also and posted a pair of 100-yard games back-to-back. Lots of G5 talent in Florida.

Archived