2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Inconsistent, reoccurring knee issues, not great size at 5'11 and 190/195, and I question his love for football after multiple teammates had to talk him into coming out and playing this year as a senior.

Some team based upon athleticism (assuming he's healthy) make take a flier on him in rounds 6-7 or as an UDFA.

From a non-OSU fan, I know all of this but that obviously isn't the case now

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

From a non-OSU fan, I know all of this but that obviously isn't the case now

I see his medical/knee issues alone dropping him a LONG way. Throw in documented questions about his love for the game (past or not) and that's a reality for him.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I see his medical/knee issues alone dropping him a LONG way. Throw in documented questions about his love for the game (past or not) and that's a reality for him.

but you know his love of the game wavered because of his constant injuries, he was frustrated, who wouldn't be? He more than anyone wanted to live up to his 4/5 star billing, he's never got into any trouble, and has been a good guy since he's been at tOSU.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

but you know his love of the game wavered because of his constant injuries, he was frustrated, who wouldn't be?

I'm 100% agreeing with you here and understand it, speaking as a former college athlete who had 3 major knee and shoulder surgeries in 4 years. However, draft "experts", scouts, and general managers/coaches will question both his medical (MOST OF ALL) and passion for the game. They're in a business, and feelings aren't considered here. Throw in his average build, and he's nothing more than a late round prospect.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

He more than anyone wanted to live up to his 4/5 star billing, he's never got into any trouble, and has been a good guy since he's been at tOSU.

I don't disagree with this and wish him the best. I'd love to see a success story from Dixon.

On 11/2/2017 at 2:19 PM, Da_Ducktator said:

Not sure if anybody in this thread has talked about him (nothing came up on a search of this forum), but Darren Carrington II has the makings of top 60 prospect. Guy has always been a superb deep threat and looks blazing fast on film. He has kept it up at Utah and while he is a bit on the leaner side, the kid is right around 6'2" to go with probable 4.4 speed. Not to mention, his dad was a solid player in the league on the defensive side (made two Super Bowls as a regular). Oh, and his older sister played college basketball while his younger sister was a high school All-American and playing for Stanford now. 

We'll see how he tests but it was evident when he instantly made that Utah offense better that this guy is a legit talent for the next level.

He is going to be worth a look.  Catches everything in front of him with his hands.  Very fast in and out of breaks, good route running.  Has been dealing with injuries this year, but still has produced quite a bit.  His past will be brought up a lot in interviews at the combine(as it should).  Hasnt had any issues yet here in Utah, but its only been a few months, but if he stays clean I think he would be worth a 2nd/3rd round pick.

2 minutes ago, daineraider said:

He is going to be worth a look.  Catches everything in front of him with his hands.  Very fast in and out of breaks, good route running.  Has been dealing with injuries this year, but still has produced quite a bit.  His past will be brought up a lot in interviews at the combine(as it should).  Hasnt had any issues yet here in Utah, but its only been a few months, but if he stays clean I think he would be worth a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Talent-wise, I think it's clear he has a bright future. He still has to clean some things up on the field though as I feel his route-running isn't polished (rounds things off, doesn't get his shoulders over his feet on hard breaks to really sell it). Character is always going to be the biggest question with him.

Yes, that's the guy I meant - Berrios is a bit like Campanaro without all of the injuries.  Similar height/weight, SPARQ type expkosion/quickness guys largely returners but with some receiving talent.  Could be a decent slot guy in the right team if injury free.

Switzer to me is a bit different, also I wouldnt read too much into his rookie season - hes stuck behind Beasley and Dallas are basically a run first offense with some other good to very good receivers like Dez Bryant.  I don't really see them running formations with 2 shifty slot guys and beasley is an above average slot guy, so I don't see how even a very good rookie would supplant him?

7 minutes ago, lark25 said:

Yes, that's the guy I meant - Berrios is a bit like Campanaro without all of the injuries.  Similar height/weight, SPARQ type expkosion/quickness guys largely returners but with some receiving talent.  Could be a decent slot guy in the right team if injury free.

Switzer to me is a bit different, also I wouldnt read too much into his rookie season - hes stuck behind Beasley and Dallas are basically a run first offense with some other good to very good receivers like Dez Bryant.  I don't really see them running formations with 2 shifty slot guys and beasley is an above average slot guy, so I don't see how even a very good rookie would supplant him?

Berrios keeps getting typecasted as a finesse slot WR. Campanaro is nowhere near as physical or as solid as Berrios. Braxton gets after people out there and will make contested catches more than Camp does. I was a huge Camp fan when he was a draft prospect, but he was a little "wimpier" at the point of attack in all aspects. Berrios is extremely difficult to jam, extremely difficult to separate from the catch point, and will murk you blocking. He's a more complete WR than people give him credit for. Campanaro, at least as a prospect, was nowhere near the all-around player that Braxton is. I haven't watched Camp much on the Ravens, so I'm just going off of what I saw of him as a prospect coming out of WF years ago.

13 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Is he a lock for the 1st round, I saw a few mocks that had him in the 2nd but don't know I believe that.

Barring a meltdown at the combine, I'd say he goes in the 1st.  He's by far the best route runner, has great hands, he's explosive and he's an excellent blocker.  

2 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Is he a lock for the 1st round, I saw a few mocks that had him in the 2nd but don't know I believe that.

I always thought of him as a top 15 guy. Literally since he was a freshman. I highly doubt he makes it to the 2nd round unless he has some crazy medical thing or an off-field issue we don't know about.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:50 AM, daineraider said:

Its always tough to gauge guys with that sort of checkered past from the sidelines (like us armchair scouts).  I hate it.  I also hate seeing guys waste talent like that.

But those are some golden hands.  If he's got his business in order...that's an NFL receiver.  Maybe even a very good one.

Archived