2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Same here.  After watching some more film I think this class is not as bad as advertised.  The guys getting top end hype are not good.  But there's good depth.

Here are my top 10 thus far:

1. Antonio Callaway (Florida) - only surefire stud IMO
  2. Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame)
  3. Michael Gallup (Colorado St.)
  4. Anthony Miller (Memphis)
  5. DJ Moore (Maryland)
  6. Deon Cain (Clemson)
  7. James Washington (Oklahoma St.)
  8. Christian Kirk (Texas A&M)
  9. Calvin Ridley (Alabama)
  10. Auden Tate (FSU)

Wow, why do you think Callaway is a surefire stud? 

19 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You forgot to put the word 'interested' in quotation marks.

Haha c'mon. I genuinely am. He and I rarely agree, but for every off the beaten path ranking he's got his justification is just as original. 

Just now, Jlash said:

Haha c'mon. I genuinely am. He and I rarely agree, but for every off the beaten path ranking he's got his justification is just as original. 

I like to give him @VanS a hard time. I do like crazy draft people and he's one of them. Plus, how could I hate someone that gives me such joy and laughter? Josh Dobbs is the best player he's ever scouted!

I'm amazed that someone so wrong about Josh Dobbs could be so right on Alvin Kamara.

4 hours ago, Jlash said:

Break down why Calvin Ridley is "not good". I'm always interested to hear your takes.

I meant to say not THAT good.  Calvin Ridley is a good prospect.  He simply not elite.  His age is a concern to me as well as his extremely slender build. 

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Wow, why do you think Callaway is a surefire stud? 

What makes Antonio Brown the best WR in the NFL?  Think of those attributes.  Tremendous route runner.  Tremendous getting in and out of his breaks.  Great hands.  Callaway has the same attributes.  

Antonio Callaway is just a very gifted player.   When I watch him play I see a clone of former Packers All-Pro WR Sterling Sharpe.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I like to give him @VanS a hard time. I do like crazy draft people and he's one of them. Plus, how could I hate someone that gives me such joy and laughter? Josh Dobbs is the best player he's ever scouted!

I'm amazed that someone so wrong about Josh Dobbs could be so right on Alvin Kamara.

At least let him play one regular season game before declaring him a failure. 

For the record, I've scouted more physically talented QBs.  But that is not everything or even a deciding factor for me when it comes to QBs.  I place heavy emphasis on INTANGIBLES at the QB position.  And when it comes to intangibles Dobbs is the best I've scouted.  First, I'm impressed by his competitiveness.  He's got that Tom Brady fire in his eyes.  That competitive fire where only being the best will satisfy you.   His college teammate Jalen Reeves-Maybin is quoted as saying Dobbs is the most competitive person he's ever met.  Pretty remarkable considered he's a high level athlete himself that has been around a lot of other athletes.   When your peers say you are the most competitive person (especially at the QB position), it means a lot to me.  Next, I'm impressed with his work ethic.  This is a guy who somehow balanced an aerospace engineering degree while being a starting QB in the SEC.  People say this makes him smart.  I say no.  This means he's got a tremendous work ethic to be able to balance two demanding schedules.  This gives me confidence that he's not the type to take it easy in the film room.  He's gonna work hard to make himself the most prepared guy on the field.

Gimme good physical tools + elite intangibles over great physical tools + good intangibles for a QB any day. 

6 minutes ago, VanS said:

His college teammate Jalen Reeves-Maybin is quoted as saying Dobbs is the most competitive person he's ever met.

Wow....I didn't know that his college teammate said he's insanely competitive. If I knew this leading up to the draft, I would have had him as the best player in the class. I'm kind of mad now that the Browns took Myles Garrett at #1 instead of Jalen Reeves-Maybin's favorite player.

And I'm not declaring him a failure. I'd bet my house that he will be though.

Just finished my first WR grades this year. 

My Grading Scale:

9.0-10.0: Perennial All-Pro

8.0-8.99: All-Pro

7.5-7.99: Potential All-Pro / Pro Bowler

7.25-7.49: Good NFL Starter

7.0-7.24: Potentially good NFL starter

6.5-6.99: Good chance to become solid NFL starter

6.0-6.49: Could become NFL starter

5.5-5.99: Likely backup

5.0-5.49: Developmental player

-5.0: Back End of the Roster

1. Michael Gallup, Colorado State - 7.5 - The guy is experienced, plays hard, is very athletic, and can separate.

2. Calvin Ridley, Alabama - 7.33 - Ridley has elite speed and great separation ability, but was limited by Alabama's offense.

3. Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame - 7.13 - He's concerningly thin for a 6'4" receiver but has great speed and good routes to get open and make a play.

4. DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State - 6.9 - This is very, very high on Hamilton, but he runs great routes and could be a great NFL slot receiver in the future. I'm rooting for the guy.

5. Anthony Miller, Memphis - 6.88 - Miller is a guy with all the tools.

6. Antonio Callaway, Florida - 6.68 - Callaway is a phenomenal athlete but has substantial off-field concerns that would lead me to probably waiting to Day 3 on the guy.

7. Christian Kirk, Texas A&M - 6.45 - Kirk has elite speed and great after catch ability but is a little inexperienced with routes.

T-8. Dante Pettis, Washington - 6.4 - Pettis doesn't have game-breaking speed but is well-rounded and runs sharp routes.

T-8. D.J. Chark, LSU - 6.4 - Chark is an explosive deep threat who lacks some route-running experience.

10. Deion Cain, Clemson - 6.33 - See Chark.

Note: Sutton isn't in my top 10 because I'm concerned with his inability to create separation. I don't know if he'll be able to keep making contested catches at the next level, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him succeed.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Less physical/finesse version of Mike Evans?

I guess, but if you take away Mike Evans' physicality, you're not left with much there to work with. Plus Mike Evans was a much better route runner. Sutton is a 1-speed straight line receiver. These guys have a niche in the NFL, but I don't think he belongs in the first round...and maybe not even in the 2nd. While I expect him to run a decent time in the 40 yard dash, he doesn't have any suddenness to be able to separate in the NFL. I think it will plague him and he ends up having a Dwayne Jarrett-like NFL career.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I guess, but if you take away Mike Evans' physicality, you're not left with much there to work with. Plus Mike Evans was a much better route runner. Sutton is a 1-speed straight line receiver. These guys have a niche in the NFL, but I don't think he belongs in the first round...and maybe not even in the 2nd. While I expect him to run a decent time in the 40 yard dash, he doesn't have any suddenness to be able to separate in the NFL. I think it will plague him and he ends up having a Dwayne Jarrett-like NFL career.

The difference between Jarrett and Mike Williams were that they were really big bodied and relied on their physicality to make up for their lack of separation at the college level. With Sutton, he's big bodied, not physical, and has nice straight line speed, but isn't overly big. He's a weird prospect.

Archived