2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

If you’re an analytics guy, Calvin Ridley has himself a bad day.

I was never high on him.  To me he was a 2nd round prospect before the combine.  Not the #1 overall WR and surefire 1st rounder. 

My 1st round WRs are:

1. Antonio Callaway (Florida)
  2. Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame)
  3. Michael Gallup (Colorado St.)
  4. DJ Moore (Maryland)

Guys that impressed me at the combine that I wasn't high on going in:  Allen Lazard (Iowa St.), J'Mon Moore (Missouri), Cedrick Wilson (Boise St.), Ray-Ray McCloud (Clemson)

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I doubt anyone is worried about Ridley because he didn't jump well. His 40 time and 3CD were exactly what you'd expect based on his tape. That's how he wins (with speed, burst, quickness, and CoD skills).

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Looked awesome in drills.

As a contrast for a big body to test poorly in vert / broad that’s a huge problem since high pointing and catch radius are huge for their success.   Ridley never had that skill in his profile and yet was ranked #1 by most because the skills he owns are that good.  

Ridley’s big Q IMO is how his size holds up in the long run.  The vert/broad isn’t surprising at all IMO.     He certainly did enough in the 40 / 3-cone to keep his draft stock intact given how his tape matches the reports.   I say the above actually preferring to take Moore (reason below), but I can't deny Ridley did enough to still go #1.

I’m a sucker for ceiling and also factor in price so I love Moore now as I think he’ll go half to a full round later than Ridley.  But I still think Ridley goes first WR overall.   

9 hours ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

Antonio Callaway (off-field aside), DJ Moore and Michael Gallup are the best WRs in this draft.

I really like Moore he reminds me of a cross between Randall Cobb and Davante Adams

I'm not sure if hes a number one but overall really deep receiver class there are some guys like Darren Carrington, EQSB, and of course Anthony Miller who could grow and be number 1s 

Thoughts on Deon Cain? 

Are his small hands/drops always going to be an issue?

Also, has anyone here actually seen Marquez Valdes-Scantling play? Can he be anything more than a deep threat? Why is his vert so crappy for a guy ran in the 4.3s?

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Thoughts on Deon Cain? 

To put it simply, more than likely. His testing was all over the place, 77+% in 40, 3-cone, and wingspan, but bottom 21% in the shuttles and hand size. I think he is really average athleticism (one could argue borderline above average), but his drops have been a big issue. Hard to trust him.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Thoughts on Deon Cain? 

Also, has anyone here actually seen Marquez Valdes-Scantling play? Can he be anything more than a deep threat? Why is his vert so crappy for a guy ran in the 4.3s?

Deon Cain was my top rated WR for a long while until I got into the tape of Calvin Ridley. Cain is simply a straight line runner with the ability to make spectacular catches. I love guys like this because they draw coverage over the top and are consistently doubled regardless of how bad their hands are. His hands aren't PUTRID, but I would be lying if I said they were good. I think he goes in the 2nd round and ends up being pretty good. He's going to be a spectacular playmaker showing flashes of brilliance and hopefully his hands steadily improve while this happens. He's going to be best as a 2nd or 3rd option, but because of his size and speed, he's got the chance to become a #1 down the line.

I'm higher on Cain than most.

48 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Deon Cain was my top rated WR for a long while until I got into the tape of Calvin Ridley. Cain is simply a straight line runner with the ability to make spectacular catches. I love guys like this because they draw coverage over the top and are consistently doubled regardless of how bad their hands are. His hands aren't PUTRID, but I would be lying if I said they were good. I think he goes in the 2nd round and ends up being pretty good. He's going to be a spectacular playmaker showing flashes of brilliance and hopefully his hands steadily improve while this happens. He's going to be best as a 2nd or 3rd option, but because of his size and speed, he's got the chance to become a #1 down the line.

I'm higher on Cain than most.

Drops and having smaller hands are a concern to me, but I can't argue his tape and I'm more than happy with his 40/cone times. Solid get in round 2, but he's behind DJ Moore in my mind.

1 hour ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

both my Tech boys, Dylan Cantrell and Keke Coutee did awesome for themselves at the combine.

Peter Schrager loves him some Cantrell

Don't besmirch Cooper Kupp's good name.

So what's the consensus on Allen Lazard? Big bodied guy that could probably add a few lbs and switch to TE? Big #1 WR? I haven't seen much film on him yet, but his size/speed stats remind me a bit of Mike Evans. 

I know that his 4.54 40 is supposed to end the talk of him as a TE, but do any of you guys think a switch would actually be more beneficial overall? I know that the weight/speed ratio can be tricky and a few lbs could make a huge difference for some guys, but I could easily see him staying under a 4.7 at 6'5 245. With the way TE's have started to get used, I feel like the switch (or at least the possibility thereof) could help him as a prospect.

Or am I just blowing smoke? Thoughts?

On 2/16/2018 at 1:44 PM, MD4L said:

Might as well bring the visuals.

The reception he makes at the 1:00 mark. Watch how he high points the ball at the 1:48 mark. 2:22 v combine invite Avonte Maddox, 4:05 v combine invite Tavarus McFadden, 5:11, 6:10, and 6:59. 

I find it hard pressed to attribute the successes of those plays simply to an uptempo system. 

Might be a target for Jaguars (possibly looking to replace Arob :( ) with the ability to go deep, high-point, and the Cuse connection

On 3/4/2018 at 1:45 AM, goldfishwars said:

If you’re an analytics guy, Calvin Ridley has himself a bad day.

I don't think that's overly surprising.  Maybe the extent of his "bad day" is a bit more than i'd have expected, but i think we all kinda knew that he was unlikely to be a beastly athlete across the whole range.  He's never profiled as anything resembling the freak athlete #1WR Prototype or anything.  But then, we don't really have that guy in this class anyway.

The biggest thing with Ridley, is that he came in as the sort of small/slightly built guy he looked on the field.  At 189lbs, that (lack of) weight is going to hurt his analytics results.  Generally have to be stupid quick/fast/explosive to beast out at low weights. 

I think it hurts in the same sort of way it's always hurt his projected "ceiling" just based on watching him play.  It just tells us that he doesn't have a completely full toolset, which the tape made clear enough.  He's going to win with speed and smooth route running to gain separation and has solid tape of him doing just that.  Just confirms that he's a lightweight dude who isn't going to win with any kind of power or jumping out the building.  That's not in his toolkit, which is a limiting factor on his versatility and thus overall upside.

Courtland Sutton's results are the more surprising ones to me.  I was really curious to see how he'd test out.  On tape, there's a lot to like there...but he often looks like a bit of a one-speed athlete that kind of reminds of guys like Treadwell.  Had a pretty darn solid day i'd say.  Showed that he's actually reasonably quick and fast for his size, with some explosiveness too.  Dispelled most of that nagging concern for me.

16 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

So what's the consensus on Allen Lazard? Big bodied guy that could probably add a few lbs and switch to TE? Big #1 WR? I haven't seen much film on him yet, but his size/speed stats remind me a bit of Mike Evans. 

I know that his 4.54 40 is supposed to end the talk of him as a TE, but do any of you guys think a switch would actually be more beneficial overall? I know that the weight/speed ratio can be tricky and a few lbs could make a huge difference for some guys, but I could easily see him staying under a 4.7 at 6'5 245. With the way TE's have started to get used, I feel like the switch (or at least the possibility thereof) could help him as a prospect.

Or am I just blowing smoke? Thoughts?

I don't know about the consensus, but i don't really see a TE position switch and adding a bunch more weight as the way to go with Lazard.  He already looks pretty sluggish to me where he is, and a 40 time isn't going to really reflect the issue there.  The cone drills would've been the ones to see.  The things he does well though, i think you probably just use him as a jumbo slot receiver and a redzone target...and don't really worry about what you label him.  Let him sorta muscle around and run some nice routes, use body position, size, and jump ball situations to win in congested areas.  He's not going to run away from anyone, but i don't see bulking up helping that.  I doubt you get him to the point where you're going to want to use him as an inline blocker anyway.  Just let it ride as an odd WR i'd say, but call it whatever you want really.

Archived