2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

His talent is more than high enough. His head has always been the problem. I wouldn't compare him to OBJ, though. He's more similar to Brandin Cooks.

Cooks and OBJ both catch with their hands better than Callaway. I think I could see the Cooks comparison to Callaway from a deep threat standpoint. Both guys can run fast but let the ball come to them as opposed to a guy like Mike Evans or Marcell Ateman who high point most of their receptions and body out defenders. Brandin Cooks is also a terible yards after catch guy whereas Callaway is pretty good. Both OBJ and Callaway were dynamic returners in college. Beckham is a little quicker, a little fast, a better jump ball receiever, better route runner, probably a little better as a retuner, and OBJ is better at catching than Callaway. OBJ is a top 5 receiever in my opinion, if not then top 10. I think that Callaway could be close to a top 10 guy but with so much talent in the NFL at wide receiever I don't agree in saying he is definitely top 10 at any point. The talent is high enough to where he could be close to top 10 but I'm saying I don't think he has one exceptional quality or an elite amongst the elite skill set that puts him firmly into a top 10 category. I think Callaway has to improve his route running the most and not rely on athleticism to push himself into a top 10 discussion.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Brandin Cooks is also a terible yards after catch guy whereas Callaway is pretty good.

I'm saying I don't think he has one exceptional quality or an elite amongst the elite skill set that puts him firmly into a top 10 category.

I don't remotely agree with this. Callaway and Cooks are both outstanding with the ball in their hands.

Callaway's explosiveness and ability with the ball in his hands are exceptional traits.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't remotely agree with this. Callaway and Cooks are both outstanding with the ball in their hands.

Callaway's explosiveness and ability with the ball in his hands are exceptional traits.

Callaway's YAC is what I said is one of his strengths. I don't find him to be exceptional at his, although he is really good at returning.

Watch Brandin Cooks last season though. He sucks with YAC. Absolutely awful.

On 3/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, DoleINGout said:

To me the best value and most underrated receiver is Byron Pringle of Kansas State. Stud. Zero hype.

He'll be 25 mid season, so that basically takes him off my board immediately, especially given that he's raw. Also has drop issues, off the field problems, isn't strong out of his break...I wouldn't be at all shocked if he's undrafted. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

He'll be 25 mid season, so that basically takes him off my board immediately, especially given that he's raw. Also has drop issues, off the field problems, isn't strong out of his break...I wouldn't be at all shocked if he's undrafted. 

All of those flaws you mention are definitely accurate and will be held against him. However his route running, quickness, footwork, and YAC/return ability as an undrafted free agent or late round pick makes him a steal. Pringle is probably the best deep threat in the draft and it's mostly due to his route running and quickness.

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Pringle is probably better but DJ Chark is solid competition.

Pringle isn't better than Chark. Nothing in Pringle's game leads me to believe he's better than Chark.

Pringle has nowhere near the long speed that Chark does. He might be quicker, but Chark has better hands, a significantly better catch radius, is smoother getting in and out of his breaks, and had the misfortune of playing with a pubic hairball for a QB.

I don't dislike Pringle as a prospect (until I heard he was going to be 25 as a rookie), but he isn't even close to being the prospect that Chark is.

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pringle isn't better than Chark. Nothing in Pringle's game leads me to believe he's better than Chark.

Pringle has nowhere near the long speed that Chark does. He might be quicker, but Chark has better hands, a significantly better catch radius, is smoother getting in and out of his breaks, and had the misfortune of playing with a pubic hairball for a QB.

I don't dislike Pringle as a prospect (until I heard he was going to be 25 as a rookie), but he isn't even close to being the prospect that Chark is.

I hope you know I think as an overall receiver and NFL prospect DJ Chark is superior. As purely a deep threat however, I'd probably say Pringle is the best.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

I hope you know I think as an overall receiver and NFL prospect DJ Chark is superior. As purely a deep threat however, I'd probably say Pringle is the best.

ook. But I still don't agree with you on Pringle being ahead of Chark at deep ball stuff.

Speaking of deep-threats, though he'll probably be lucky if he's a Day 3 guy (but still a UDFA who could make some noise with better QB play - Benkert's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired), Andre Levrone was getting sub-4.4 hand times at UVA's pro day at 6'2", 225.  Still basket-catches a bit more than I'd like, but he's the sort of undrafted deep-threat we've seen breakout ever couple years.

On 19/03/2018 at 11:28 PM, Iamcanadian said:

I would be shocked to see him in round 3. This isn't a solid WR draft year, but he is #5 on Mayock's list after the combine, that will be good enough to make him a 2nd rounder, because teams will be desperate to find any receivers worth drafting.

I doubt teams are scouting purely by Mike Mayock’s top five. Fact is, it’s a crowded group with lots of day two kinda grades floating around. Miller hasn’t played in any bowl games and didn’t participate in the combine. Memphis has their pro day on the last scheduled day of the draft season (6th April). A lot of the big players in team scouting departments won’t have a chance to have seen what he can do up close. Not saying he can’t be a high pick, because his game deserves it. But it wouldn’t surprise me to see teams take guys ahead of him who they might have a better feel for. 

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I doubt teams are scouting purely by Mike Mayock’s top five. Fact is, it’s a crowded group with lots of day two kinda grades floating around. Miller hasn’t played in any bowl games and didn’t participate in the combine. Memphis has their pro day on the last scheduled day of the draft season (6th April). A lot of the big players in team scouting departments won’t have a chance to have seen what he can do up close. Not saying he can’t be a high pick, because his game deserves it. But it wouldn’t surprise me to see teams take guys ahead of him who they might have a better feel for. 

Also, more times than not, teams are going to take the guys who run faster earlier unless they meet a minimum size-threshold AND have the production to match.  Mayock's Top 5 hasn't proven to be a lock for a Top-3-round selection in the past.

Archived