2018 Draft Eligible WR Thread

CalhounLambeau

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nice. I needed him to run under 4.5 to be sold on his vertical speed. He's such a good route runner that separation comes naturally for him. I was hoping he had the speed to back up his ability to separate. I always think about Rashad Greene from FSU. He made a ton of plays and created a lot of separation, but wasn't a great athlete. It has killed him in the NFL, as he simply can't run away from NFL corners. Miller's times indicate that he should be able to separate with his combo of savvy and speed.

Yes, 100%! This is a reassuring result for a player who a lot of us seem inclined to like.

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Opinions on Dylan Cantrell? 

Fun guy to watch. Very athletic. Great leaper and strong hands. He blocks very well, can make contested catches, and could be great as a big slot. I'm partial to acrobats, though. He's likely a long term contributor at WR2, but depends on the team and the development plan to see if he can become a WR1. Looks like a good mid - late round target who can provide value on special teams as well as catching the ball.

If you're not familiar with watching him, this is a nice little intro. His body control -- both in run after the catch and going up for the ball -- is elite for a guy his size. I'd love to see him on my team. 

6 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Opinions on Dylan Cantrell? 

Cooper Kupp? I feel like he could have issues creating separation on long routes on the outside, but he could profile well as a big slot similar to Kupp. 

On 4/5/2018 at 11:21 AM, Forge said:

Cooper Kupp? I feel like he could have issues creating separation on long routes on the outside, but he could profile well as a big slot similar to Kupp. 

He ain't Cooper Kupp.

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

He ain't Cooper Kupp.

Well no, that would be weird if kupp entered the draft a second consecutive year under a different name :)

I just meant oversized slot. He's got some nice short area burst, but I don't love the long speed. I liked Kupp more, particularly with the ball in his hands

53 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

What are the knocks on Anthony Miller that have him dropping so far out of the first round? Everything I've seen on the dude has me swooning...

He does not always seem sure handed and double clutches to catch a lot of passes, cannot do that as a pro and he is a bit short at 5'11". He telegraphs his route breaks by popping up too often as he is about to make a move. I also think he is more quick than fast.

He is still late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder at worst.

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well no, that would be weird if kupp entered the draft a second consecutive year under a different name :)

I just meant oversized slot. He's got some nice short area burst, but I don't love the long speed. 

I don't see him as at all similar to Kupp, and I might try him out on the outside first. I think his game profiles more like Eric Decker's (if he pans out), but I have my concerns about him. He doesn't move like Kupp; he doesn't have the polished, nuanced game that Kupp has; and he likely doesn't have Kupp's football IQ. My issue with Cantrell is that he tests better than he plays. He's a leggy WR who doesn't have instant acceleration or explosive cutting ability. He has smoothness to his game, but when he cuts, it's not sharp and explosive. He really relies on his size, physicality, body control, and hands to make plays. Kupp is a guy who consistently creates separation. Cantrell seems like a guy who is going to have to rely on his ability to make plays with defenders on top of him. He doesn't have the physical traits that define Kupp's game (much less the skill and mental acuity).

6 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

He does not always seem sure handed and double clutches to catch a lot of passes, cannot do that as a pro and he is a bit short at 5'11". He telegraphs his route breaks by popping up too often as he is about to make a move. I also think he is more quick than fast.

He is still late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder at worst.

I can't disagree more.

For what it's worth, Pauline reports that Miller was more of a 4.55 guy than some of the quicker times being reported.  He also claims his routes needed refinement and he was double catching many of the throws.

24 minutes ago, Groink said:

For what it's worth, Pauline reports that Miller was more of a 4.55 guy than some of the quicker times being reported.  He also claims his routes needed refinement and he was double catching many of the throws.

To be frank, I don't put much stock into what Pauline says. He's never struck me in all my years of following the draft as a guy who is really on the ball. FWIW, here are Miller's "official" numbers:

Archived