2018 Draft Eligible TE Thread

CalhounLambeau

@jrry32 you guys should just sign Ebron. He would kill it in that offense. His production at the end of the season was great, his blocking was improved, and his drop rate was good (contrary to popular belief). He probably won't ever be a great blocker but he can be a damn good weapon.

1 minute ago, IDOG_det said:

@jrry32 you guys should just sign Ebron. He would kill it in that offense. His production at the end of the season was great, his blocking was improved, and his drop rate was good (contrary to popular belief). He probably won't ever be a great blocker but he can be a damn good weapon.

I'd look at him if I were the Rams. But they don't seem to share that sentiment.

45 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'd look at him if I were the Rams. But they don't seem to share that sentiment.

I know Higbee is mostly JAG but man I think very highly of Gerald Everett.  Never a bad idea to have 2 really good TE for 12 formation but seems like a true luxury pick. 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I know Higbee is mostly JAG but man I think very highly of Gerald Everett.  Never a bad idea to have 2 really good TE for 12 formation but seems like a true luxury pick. 

I don't think it is. I believe the plan is to play Everett as more of a WR (like Jordan Reed) and use a guy like Goedert as an inline TE.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think it is. I believe the plan is to play Everett as more of a WR (like Jordan Reed) and use a guy like Goedert as an inline TE.

Well if he’s going to be an in-line WR that would work.  

I love Goedert I’d be intrigued if he was there at 2.7.  I’d be shocked if you guys didn’t go EDGE / LB at 1.23 though.  

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well if he’s going to be an in-line WR that would work.  

I love Goedert I’d be intrigued if he was there at 2.7.  I’d be shocked if you guys didn’t go EDGE / LB at 1.23 though.  

There has to be one worth drafting at #23.

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It appears that the Rams might be looking TE early. It seems like McVay would rather replace Sammy Watkins with an athletic TE and run more 12 personnel. After watching the consensus top four TEs in this class, I'd rate them as:

1. Dallas Goedert - Comparison: Travis Kelce

2. Mike Gesicki - Comparison: Jimmy Graham

3. Hayden Hurst - Comparison: A less polished Hunter Henry

4. Mark Andrews - Comparison: Cameron Brate

Goedert would be my guy for the Rams. Gesicki is going to be a premier talent as an oversized WR, but he's not an inline TE. He's not a physical guy and does the bare minimum as a blocker. However, there's no denying his outstanding athleticism, great size, and powerful mitts. He has the best hands of the group, and he's the best route runner of the group. He'll be a mismatch in the passing game for sure, but he won't contribute much as a run blocker if he's asked to block NFL LBs or DLs. I prefer Goedert because I expect the Rams to use Gerald Everett like McVay did Jordan Reed in Washington. Grade: 1st Round

Goedert has the potential to be both a great blocker and receiver. His run blocking technique has improved, but he still needs to do a better job of rolling his hips into blocks instead of bending and reaching (it causes balance issues). Nevertheless, he shows very good functional strength, great leg drive, and good hand placement. He's shown the ability to be both a quality run and pass blocker. As a receiver, Goedert has outstanding hands and body control, but he drops a few passes he shouldn't. He's a very good athlete who can climb over the top of defenses with his speed, has impressive agility and change of directional skills for his size, and is a difficult player to tackle after the catch. Goedert's route running is a bit raw right now. He'll give the defense tips by leaning before he breaks, and he needs to work on his route footwork. He's much more dangerous right now on linear routes (drags, intermediate and deep overs, posts, corners, and 9-routes) than routes with harder breaks. Grade: 1st Round

Hurst has the potential to be a solid to good blocker and a very good receiver. He doesn't quite have Goedert's length and strength combo as a blocker, but he works hard at it and plays with requisite strength and physicality. He'll have to work on the technical aspects, but that should be no big deal. The attitude and work ethic are there. As a receiver, Hurst's biggest flaw is similar to Goedert's, he gives the defense tips on routes with harder breaks. He also needs to work on his route footwork (he has a tendency to hop into out-breaking routes). However, Hurst is a very good athlete who changes directions well, can attack all three levels of the field, and will run hard after the catch. He also has an outstanding pair of mitts and will make catches with defenders draped on him. He will also drop an occasional pass that he shouldn't, but he has the body control and hand strength to be a very reliable and dangerous pass-catching TE. Grade: 2nd Round

To be frank, I'm not much of a fan of Mark Andrews. He has the same issues as Mike Gesicki as a blocker. He's not physical and wants to do the bare minimum. However, unlike Gesicki, he's not an elite receiving talent. Andrews has good overall athleticism, but he's not nearly as quick as Gesicki and doesn't separate like Gesicki does vertically. His hands are also a step below Gesicki's, in the same tier as Hurst and Goedert (I'd say Hurst and Goedert both are better than him too in this regard). Andrews is smart and crafty. He should do quite well against zone coverage in the NFL, he runs good routes and uses his body well, and he'll make contested catches in traffic. Nevertheless, he's going to have a harder time separating against man coverage in the NFL, but due to his blocking issues, he'll likely have to operate as more of a slot TE. Ultimately, I see a guy who can be a solid starting TE like Brate. He'll be a dangerous red-zone target who will move the chains well, but his blocking issues and lack of special athleticism as a receiver will limit his ultimate ceiling. If you need a possession guy to move the chains, Andrews can be a good fit on Day 2 as an oversized slot. Grade: 3rd/4th Round

Is your 2nd paragraph Gesecki? 

I agree with much of this, I think Goedert is hands down the best. He's very smooth and kinda glides out there. I like the Kelce comp as I was a HUGE kelce fan cing out of cinci.

I also don't see anything I like with Andrews. Have him as a mid/late round guy too. I don't get the hype for him.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Is your 2nd paragraph Gesecki? 

I agree with much of this, I think Goedert is hands down the best. He's very smooth and kinda glides out there. I like the Kelce comp as I was a HUGE kelce fan cing out of cinci.

I also don't see anything I like with Andrews. Have him as a mid/late round guy too. I don't get the hype for him.

Yes, I probably should have started it with saying that I prefer Goedert for the Rams. But yes, that's what I see in Gesicki. Looks like a terror as an oversized WR, but he's going to do the bare minimum as a blocker.

52 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yes, I probably should have started it with saying that I prefer Goedert for the Rams. But yes, that's what I see in Gesicki. Looks like a terror as an oversized WR, but he's going to do the bare minimum as a blocker.

But don’t you have that in Everett?  I love him but he and Gesicki would then have similar move-TE roles then, no? 

Just now, Broncofan said:

But don’t you have that in Everett?  I love him but he and Gesicki have similar move-TE roles then, no? 

Everett gives much more effort as a blocker. But yes, they'd have the same role. Regardless, I still prefer Goedert, even if I didn't have Everett.

Cannot argue that Goedert is a good TE prospect in this years draft, He is dependable in every facet of the position and with time could be an excellent blocker and is already a very reliable receiver. He has great hands but isn't the greatest after the catch although tacklers seem to bounce off him. He runs tough but isn't game changer. He runs nice routes with subtle quickness.

However, I do not think either Gesicki or Goedert are first rounders. However I do believe Hayden Hurst will be a first rounder. IMO, he has the biggest upside of the 3. He has excellent ball skills, size and speed. As a route runner, he is very smooth and builds up his speed quite quickly. He excels on vertical routes and crossers. He has a huge catch radius  and tracks the ball very smoothly, probably because he is an ex baseball player. He is a willing run blocker who will only get better at it at the next level, although he lacks power at this time, but does a very nice job of shielding defenders. 

He will need to work on his route tree as he was never asked in college to run a number of pro routes, but he is a real willing worker who will put in the time to get better!

2 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Cannot argue that Goedert is a good TE prospect in this years draft, He is dependable in every facet of the position and with time could be an excellent blocker and is already a very reliable receiver. He has great hands but isn't the greatest after the catch although tacklers seem to bounce off him. He runs tough but isn't game changer. He runs nice routes with subtle quickness.

However, I do not think either Gesicki or Goedert are first rounders. However I do believe Hayden Hurst will be a first rounder. IMO, he has the biggest upside of the 3. He has excellent ball skills, size and speed. As a route runner, he is very smooth and builds up his speed quite quickly. He excels on vertical routes and crossers. He has a huge catch radius  and tracks the ball very smoothly, probably because he is an ex baseball player. He is a willing run blocker who will only get better at it at the next level, although he lacks power at this time, but does a very nice job of shielding defenders. 

He will need to work on his route tree as he was never asked in college to run a number of pro routes, but he is a real willing worker who will put in the time to get better!

The biggest problem with Hurst to the 1st round is that he'll turn 25.  If you are already complete, that's OK, but as you mentioned, he lacks power, and he has to work on his route tree.   This limits his overall ceiling to a fair degree, and when you combine it with the normal redshirt year of production most TE's require (esp. those who don't have an extensive route tree or blocking prowess), well, Rd1 is a steep call.   His appeal will be that he can be a true inline TE, without question.  I think he's a lock for Round 2, given that and his skills as a receiver.  It's just so hard to get into Round 1 unless you have all the elite traits/combo package (Howard/Njoku), or you are ready to excel right away (Engram, who is as close to a WR masquerading as a TE as it gets).   

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

I would disagree on Hurst being a 1st rounder due to his age.  Skill wise i think Hurst is the best but he has the lowest ceiling of the top TEs due to his age.  The 1st round choice also has the 5th year option which is valued a great deal by teams.  To spend it on a 29 year old might be a bit much.  I can see the 2nd round for Hurst for a team that is set for the Playoffs like the Jags.  He is a great talent to have for a rookie contract but might not stick with a team for the 2nd contract.

Archived