Kawhi Leonard wants out of San Antonio

BStanRamFan

1 minute ago, Danger said:

I'm actually asking here. Is this because of Kevin Love, or just because of the idiocy that is Ty Lue?

Both.  I mean, Kevin Love isn't a guy whose going to run an offense.  That's just physically not something he's capable of doing.  I'm not saying Ty Lue isn't an idiot, but Kevin Love can't run an offense.

I disagree.  LBJ/PG13 isn't just incrementally better than LBJ/Love, it's significantly better because Love was relegated to a role player.  Do they need that 3rd banana?  Absolutely.  But even when LBJ goes off the floor, they still have Paul George.  You can't run an offense with Kevin Love.  You can with Paul George.

I concede that incremental was an overstatement. But LBJ/PG still get mopped by GSW. I think that LBJ/PG/Leonard loses in 5-6 games as well.

I personally just think its a huge risk for him to go West, not just to LAL but to any team, when there is a large % chance that he could end up losing in 3 straight WCF. That would be a tremendous tarnish to his legacy. Staying east and losing 3 straight finals just looks better on paper.

His ideal scenario would be Ainge going full 'Trader Danny' and working a 3 team deal that sends Irving to NYK, LBJ to BOS and picks/filler/Ntkiilina to CLE. Then BOS moves their picks and filler for a PG. Weirder things have happened. And the storyline would be freaking gold.

Still think LAL is his most likely destination.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I concede that incremental was an overstatement. But LBJ/PG still get mopped by GSW. I think that LBJ/PG/Leonard loses in 5-6 games as well.

I personally just think its a huge risk for him to go West, not just to LAL but to any team, when there is a large % chance that he could end up losing in 3 straight WCF. That would be a tremendous tarnish to his legacy. Staying east and losing 3 straight finals just looks better on paper.

His ideal scenario would be Ainge going full 'Trader Danny' and working a 3 team deal that sends Irving to NYK, LBJ to BOS and picks/filler/Ntkiilina to CLE. Then BOS moves their picks and filler for a PG. Weirder things have happened. And the storyline would be freaking gold.

Still think LAL is his most likely destination.

I'm not arguing that Golden State shouldn't be considered the favorite, but getting "mopped" is probably a stretch.  I mean, we saw Houston take Golden State to seven games with CP3/Harden/Ariza.  A trio of LBJ/PG13/Kawhi is going to be exponentially better than that.  If the Lakers can put the right combination of role players around those three, it's a closer series than I think anyone cares to admit.  This is probably the most talented trio since LBJ/Wade/Bosh if we're being honest.

At this point in his career, LeBron's legacy isn't going to be tainted one way or the other.  But I think it's a LOT easier to hang your hat on the fact that he "resurrected" the Lakers' franchise than it is of him sitting in Cleveland knowing he's being surpassed by Boston.

The Rockets defense was awesome. They were winning that series 3-2 largely due to their championship caliber defense. Lakers with LBJ/PG and the current young crew should on paper be able to be a really good team defensively. But that will take LeBron actually giving solid effort for the entire game. The Rockets offense was actually pretty damn trash all series long minus game 2. They barely scored over a 100 points once in the last four games. Lonzo/PG/Ingram/Kuzma/LBJ 4th quarter line up would be able to switch everything and cause a lot of issues for opposing teams, including the Warriors. But would they have enough shooting to win it all? Not sure, it will take Ingram improving his three point shot and Ball shooting decent enough when a defender helps off of him. Just PG/LBJ with this Lakers team probably takes the Lakers six games at least. 

But a LBJ/PG/Kawhi core could absolutely challenge the Dubs. That would be pretty much a pick-em series assuming they would be able to get some decent talent around them. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Rockets defense was awesome. They were winning that series 3-2 largely due to their championship caliber defense. Lakers with LBJ/PG and the current young crew should on paper be able to be a really good team defensively. But that will take LeBron actually giving solid effort for the entire game. The Rockets offense was actually pretty damn trash all series long minus game 2. They barely scored over a 100 points once in the last four games. Lonzo/PG/Ingram/Kuzma/LBJ 4th quarter line up would be able to switch everything and cause a lot of issues for opposing teams, including the Warriors. But would they have enough shooting to win it all? Not sure, it will take Ingram improving his three point shot and Ball shooting decent enough when a defender helps off of him. Just PG/LBJ with this Lakers team probably takes the Lakers six games at least. 

But a LBJ/PG/Kawhi core could absolutely challenge the Dubs. That would be pretty much a pick-em series assuming they would be able to get some decent talent around them. 

LIS, it might take them a year or so to gel, but that trio (with one of Ingram or Ball) absolutely competes against Golden State.  Without Ball or Ingram, it's a bit tougher.

Why would it take a year? I never understood that. It doesn't need to take a year. It didn't take the Celtics a year, it didn't take Miami a year, it didn't take the Cavs a year, etc. Now, people will say it did take Miami a year because they lost to the Mavs. But that's BS as they were definitely good enough to win it all that year but LeBron completely fell apart opening the door for the Mavericks to come back in that series. 

LBJ/PG/Kawhi trio should have championship aspirations from day one. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why would it take a year? I never understood that. It doesn't need to take a year. It didn't take the Celtics a year, it didn't take Miami a year, it didn't take the Cavs a year, etc. Now, people will say it did take Miami a year because they lost to the Mavs. But that's BS as they were definitely good enough to win it all that year but LeBron completely fell apart opening the door for the Mavericks to come back in that series. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't have title aspirations, I just think there's going to be a natural growing period for those three as they learn to play with each other.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

THe reason people say it takes a year is because they need to add more talent around them, which they can do via the exceptions each year, and different vets coming on the market that will be willing to ring chase for the min. 

but I agree that LBJ/PG/Leonard would be right up there with the warriors for the best team in the league. 

And by the end of the year they should be firing on all cylinders. Talent damn near always ends up trumping all. Kawhi and PG could play off ball which will make the adjustment period easier for them than ball dominant players. 

59 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shams still has ways to go before he gets to Woj status. 

And Woj just broke the Howard trade. Lets see who gets the LeBron news first between the two and other big free agency news. 

That SI writer will be the one to break the LeBron news methinks.

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That SI writer will be the one to break the LeBron news methinks.

Lee Jenkins? Possible or he does it on his own platform Uninterrupted. Actually, he doesn't need Jenkins or anyone else. Uninterrupted it will be!

But if Kawhi continues to let it be known it will be the Lakers or bust, then that will pretty much take teams like the Celtics out of the hunt. Or you would think. I saw some trade proposal of Love+8th pick +2021 1st. That may end up being the best offer they could get. The problem is they are highly unlikely to trade Kawhi before the draft so that pick may not matter much if the Spurs aren't particularly high on that player the Cavs draft. 

But if the Cavs get Kawhi then LeBron could sign a two year deal with an out after next season. Then start the process all over again lol. 

Archived