2018 Draft Eligible Safety Thread

CalhounLambeau

27 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Can someone give me a rundown on Jessie Bates? I'm struggling to find good scouting reports this year for some reason. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cDclPOk1Q7lepIGV-9JVxB_nbGHwzoCfAtqtpYQZhCo/edit?usp=sharing

Watch him yourself. Here is my player card with links to his video. Most people haven't watched him. A  redshirt sophomore from a low visibility school. 

He's 6'1" 195, fast, has a lot of range, makes plays on the ball, physical in run support. That's the basic rundown with him. @Ozzy loves him. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Is Derwin James getting underrated now? He had a down year but so did the entire FSU team. Was he one of the reasons for the defensive struggles? 

Probably.  We're probably just seeing his "stock" readjust.  He was overrated coming into the season, had a "disappointing" season, and his stock is down.

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Is Derwin James getting underrated now? He had a down year but so did the entire FSU team. Was he one of the reasons for the defensive struggles? 

If you have him rated high, I wouldn't waver on that. He hasn't had any significant injuries, he still has tremendous talent. There will be a lot of guys that will do extensive digging to why he regressed, but I guarantee its more attributed to who's calling the defensive plays or how he's individually coached than it is his talent. I personally have remained high on him and see the potential, the funny thing will be if he turns out the combine and rise again, people will act brand new and he has always had these physical tools.  

26 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

What do you guys think of Jordan Whitehead?

He's got some character concerns. He's a little on the small side physically. He can cover like crazy and will lower the boom occasionally. He's a solid prospect that will most likely go as high as the second round. With his maturity issues and size he could slide down a bit, though. 

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

If you have him rated high, I wouldn't waver on that. He hasn't had any significant injuries, he still has tremendous talent. There will be a lot of guys that will do extensive digging to why he regressed, but I guarantee its more attributed to who's calling the defensive plays or how he's individually coached than it is his talent. I personally have remained high on him and see the potential, the funny thing will be if he turns out the combine and rise again, people will act brand new and he has always had these physical tools.  

Derwin James is a monster. People expected him to carry that defense and have FSU in the top 5 of CFB. Florida State took a huge step back, not Derwin James. I watched a ton of FSU this year (Perfect J.O. material because of how bad they were) and Derwin James was never the problem. Plus, he played a ton of high safety and was asked to do a lot more in coverage than he was before. He didn't get as many opportunities for splash plays.

But this dude is going to rip apart the NFL combine and go ahead of Minkah Fitzpatrick methinks. There's nothing in his tape that should scare anyone off. I really think people saw FSU take a dump and put some of that on Derwin.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Derwin James is a monster. People expected him to carry that defense and have FSU in the top 5 of CFB. Florida State took a huge step back, not Derwin James. I watched a ton of FSU this year (Perfect J.O. material because of how bad they were) and Derwin James was never the problem. Plus, he played a ton of high safety and was asked to do a lot more in coverage than he was before. He didn't get as many opportunities for splash plays.

But this dude is going to rip apart the NFL combine and go ahead of Minkah Fitzpatrick methinks. There's nothing in his tape that should scare anyone off. I really think people saw FSU take a dump and put some of that on Derwin.

Sure maybe he took too much of the blame for FSU having such a down year.  But he is the best player on that team and before the season was arguably the #1 prospect in the nation, only second to maybe Key or Barkley.  Sure things change, just like they have for Key but there has to be a reason why he did not make as many big plays this year compared to years past.  Maybe it was because he was asked to play more deep in coverage, but still when he arrived to the ball he did not look quite the same.  Possibly the injury took a little out of his game, will see how he does at the combine because he seems a little slower and less quick to react than as a freshman.    

With his highlight tape most of his big plays were that freshman year I bet, especially in terms of his big impressive hits and tackling ability.  Did not make many impact plays in key moments this year for sure and that was disappointing.  Sure got tackles but those tackles were rarely for a loss or to stop a player before the first down.  For example Quin Blanding, who also played on a team that underachieved a little, he was far more impactful in the games I saw than James was.  Is not as good of a prospect in terms of upside but when he made plays this year and years past you knew it, James got lost in the shuffle a lot this past year for sure I think.

Nice to find a safety with his kind of upside though, and sure maybe will go ahead of Fitzpatrick but is not a better player.  Fitzpatrick is far better in coverage and is more versatile overall being able to play slot corner, safety and boundary corner as well.  James will only stay high in the draft if he like you said blows up at the combine, if not he will fall for sure.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Sure maybe he took too much of the blame for FSU having such a down year.  But he is the best player on that team and before the season was arguably the #1 prospect in the nation, only second to maybe Key or Barkley.  Sure things change, just like they have for Key but there has to be a reason why he did not make as many big plays this year compared to years past.  Maybe it was because he was asked to play more deep in coverage, but still when he arrived to the ball he did not look quite the same.  Possibly the injury took a little out of his game, will see how he does at the combine because he seems a little slower and less quick to react than as a freshman.    

With his highlight tape most of his big plays were that freshman year I bet, especially in terms of his big impressive hits and tackling ability.  Did not make many impact plays in key moments this year for sure and that was disappointing.  Sure got tackles but those tackles were rarely for a loss or to stop a player before the first down.  For example Quin Blanding, who also played on a team that underachieved a little, he was far more impactful in the games I saw than James was.  Is not as good of a prospect in terms of upside but when he made plays this year and years past you knew it, James got lost in the shuffle a lot this past year for sure I think.

Nice to find a safety with his kind of upside though, and sure maybe will go ahead of Fitzpatrick but is not a better player.  Fitzpatrick is far better in coverage and is more versatile overall being able to play slot corner, safety and boundary corner as well.  James will only stay high in the draft if he like you said blows up at the combine, if not he will fall for sure.

The bolded I don't agree with.

James was fantastic in coverage this year. Fitzpatrick was not bad by any imagination, but I don't think he has any shot to play boundary corner. I think he's a nickel corner all the way and could play SS. Derwin James could play FS, SS, or linebacker. I actually like him the most at FS because of how much ground he can cover. He's extremely fast and can fly downhill and make TFL's from a -12 yard alignment.

I think James has considerably more upside and comes with a very low floor.

Neither is going to be a bust. Both will be great NFL players, so if I'm picking between two possible great NFL players, I'm going to pick the one that is bigger, faster, and stronger.

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The bolded I don't agree with.

James was fantastic in coverage this year. Fitzpatrick was not bad by any imagination, but I don't think he has any shot to play boundary corner. I think he's a nickel corner all the way and could play SS. Derwin James could play FS, SS, or linebacker. I actually like him the most at FS because of how much ground he can cover. He's extremely fast and can fly downhill and make TFL's from a -12 yard alignment.

I think James has considerably more upside and comes with a very low floor.

Neither is going to be a bust. Both will be great NFL players, so if I'm picking between two possible great NFL players, I'm going to pick the one that is bigger, faster, and stronger.

Fitzpatrick is a better version of Jabrill Peppers.  He's not a boundary corner and he's not a single-high safety either.  He's a chess piece you move around.

Archived