Bucs release former second round K Roberto Aguayo

pwny

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Bucs must really think they have a shot at winning the title if they're not giving him at least one more year to develop. 

Seriously thought how much development does a kicker need? Its not like a 4th WR that is given time. The chances he screws up and costs you a game are WAY lower than your young kicker

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Seriously thought how much development does a kicker need? Its not like a 4th WR that is given time. The chances he screws up and costs you a game are WAY lower than your young kicker

Yeah. You don't develop kickers. ? They can maybe work on their leg strength. But you can either make kicks or you can't. And Aguayo can't.

12 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah. You don't develop kickers. ? They can maybe work on their leg strength. But you can either make kicks or you can't. And Aguayo can't.

Still, maybe it was all mental and he just needed a year to correct it. I think it's premature to waive him unless the Bucs are very confident they are a Super Bowl contender. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Still, maybe it was all mental and he just needed a year to correct it. I think it's premature to waive him unless the Bucs are very confident they are a Super Bowl contender. 

We gave him over a year to correct it. He was talking to a psychiatrist. We did everything we could. It has nothing to do with thinking we're Super Bowl contenders. 

11 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We gave him over a year to correct it. He was talking to a psychiatrist. We did everything we could. It has nothing to do with thinking we're Super Bowl contenders. 

By that logic, Jameis should've been cut after his rookie year because he threw too many INTs. 

10 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Do you truly not see the difference?

I don't see the point in giving up on a player after one season. But cutting a kicker vs. a QB is a different matter entirely.

17 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

I don't see the point in giving up on a player after one season. But cutting a kicker vs. a QB is a different matter entirely.

He was the worst kicker in the league last year. The Bucs are legit contenders for the division. You don't risk your chances for playoff contention to develop a shaky young kicker, regardless of draft capital. If anything, this should simply teach teams not to invest so much in special teams players during the draft. 

They gave Aguayo the spring/summer to prove if he could shake his rookie struggles, and he responded by calling his misses "unlucky". I applaud Tampa for cutting ties to get the most out of the team they have now. 

50 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He was having the same struggles as he did last year though. 

Considering we missed the playoffs by half a game last season, you can understand the coaching staff not wanting to risk failing to meet this season's expectations because of a kicker.

You can't wait for the guy to develop - he has to be the finished product and give you a consistent kicking game that you can rely on, or someone else will.

1 hour ago, SoS said:

He was the worst kicker in the league last year. The Bucs are legit contenders for the division. You don't risk your chances for playoff contention to develop a shaky young kicker, regardless of draft capital. If anything, this should simply teach teams not to invest so much in special teams players during the draft. 

They gave Aguayo the spring/summer to prove if he could shake his rookie struggles, and he responded by calling his misses "unlucky". I applaud Tampa for cutting ties to get the most out of the team they have now. 

This is what it boils down to. If this team were rebuilding, likely headed for a 6-10 season, sure, you let him see if he can iron out the kinks, build some confidence, etc. But are you willing to allow him to be a deciding factor in a possible playoff game just because you spent a second round pick on him? That pick is already a sunk cost, there's no reason to try and save it. Its gone. If you don't have faith in him to make that kick in a championship game, then why are you keeping him around? You can't really hide a kicker the way you could say a second round wide receiver who could be #5 on the depth chart. You're not going to carry two kickers, and if you carry him, you can't hide him. He's going to be taking those kicks for you, and this season there could potentially be a lot on the line for some of those kicks for a team like the Bucs. 

Archived