Training Camp 2018

big_palooka

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

RT is a mess isn't it. Silberman looked like trash. Now sharpe is getting a look. Going to be a long season on that right side again. 

You’re right and if it wasn’t for Miller the left side would be the same, I still can’t believe the the  hostility I got when I said the Raiders should draft OTs. You could see this coming a mile a away.

I wouldn’t worry about RT,  Penn is probably going to switch sides and play there.

its a better fit

27 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You’re right and if it wasn’t for Miller the left side would be the same, I still can’t believe the the  hostility I got when I said the Raiders should draft OTs. You could see this coming a mile a away.

I wouldn’t worry about RT,  Penn is probably going to switch sides and play there.

its a better fit

Penn is not going to play RT. Can we stop this narrative? Pet peeve of mine is fans acting like you can just swap guys from one side to the other on the line. Penn has played LT his entire career. He's not "a better fit" on the right where he's never played.

51 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Penn is not going to play RT. Can we stop this narrative? Pet peeve of mine is fans acting like you can just swap guys from one side to the other on the line. Penn has played LT his entire career. He's not "a better fit" on the right where he's never played.

I don’t see another option for him,  Cable always says he wants to get the best five players out there.

Do you guys remember when I think it was Austin Howard got hurt during the Saints game in 2016? They actually bumped penn over to rt and had osemele play lt. I guess Feliciano came in at guard. I understand that it’s not easy to just flip a guy over to the other side of the line but we also can’t say he’s never played there. It’s not like penn has a choice. Not many teams are banging down the door for an overweight, 35 year old tackle coming off of a foot injury. I would much rather have him out there for a year figuring things out that Breno ole blocking every snap.

43 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

Do you guys remember when I think it was Austin Howard got hurt during the Saints game in 2016? They actually bumped penn over to rt and had osemele play lt. I guess Feliciano came in at guard. I understand that it’s not easy to just flip a guy over to the other side of the line but we also can’t say he’s never played there. It’s not like penn has a choice. Not many teams are banging down the door for an overweight, 35 year old tackle coming off of a foot injury. I would much rather have him out there for a year figuring things out that Breno ole blocking every snap.

And he was miserable at RT and vocal about being in that spot. He's paid as LT and will play LT. Miller isn't ready for full time action. He will sit until Penn either shows his age or is injured again. 

They are trying to get one of Sharpe or Silberman to hold down the RT spot until Parker is ready. 

Side note... Feliciano is a dude. He should be starting in the league. If I'm the Raiders I'd think about trading Jackson and going with Feliciano as a cheaper option. He will be starting soon enough in this league and excelling. 

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

But the staff said cut and dry, he's a LT so they have no plans to play him on the right or as a swing tackle

I understand that they say LT is his position. At least primarily. But there are also realities of roster construction. If Miller is not starting at LT, he needs to be able to play both sides at the very least if not get a look at RT.

Let's assume Penn is healthy and starting at LT, and the starting spot at RT goes to one of the current candidates. Miller is the backup LT, which is his position of focus as you said. But, as the backup he needs to be able to play both sides as a backup come the regular season. He is at least the third best OT on the roster and there aren't enough active roster spots on gameday to activate 4 OTs. Miller would be the swing OT by default. He will need/get reps on the right side. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

And he was miserable at RT and vocal about being in that spot. He's paid as LT and will play LT. Miller isn't ready for full time action. He will sit until Penn either shows his age or is injured again. 

They are trying to get one of Sharpe or Silberman to hold down the RT spot until Parker is ready. 

Side note... Feliciano is a dude. He should be starting in the league. If I'm the Raiders I'd think about trading Jackson and going with Feliciano as a cheaper option. He will be starting soon enough in this league and excelling. 

Always liked Feliciano. Was rooting for him having heard his backstory and I felt he was harshly judged early on by fans who wanted a ‘better known’ prospect in the draft. He always seemed really steady to me and has a little bit of a nasty streak in him too. Not sure I’d be ready to part with Jackson yet but would not be surprised if what you described happens in the future.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Matter of fact!

Archived