Jared Goff vs Carson Wentz

patriotsheatyan

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Agreed. 

But hard to justify when some discredits Goff for McVay but not Wentz for Pederson.

I'm not on the 'blame the system' wagon but the way Wentz plays, it's clear its not all system generated. In the second Redskins game,  that man got hit hard against the redskins and still completed a pass to corey clement  the end zone. Some games, he was the highlight reel.  He's elusive and big which is not a common combination

I'd take Wentz over Goff as well.
Cant say I've watched a whole hell of a lot of Ram games - but Goff has an Alex Smith look/feel to me. Smith's no bum....but he's not top tier and I think Wentz could be top tier.

18 hours ago, Leader said:

Cant say I've watched a whole hell of a lot of Ram games - but Goff has an Alex Smith look/feel to me. Smith's no bum....but he's not top tier and I think Wentz could be top tier.

In his 13 years in the NFL, Smith has never QBed an offense that finished top 5 in scoring. In his second year in the NFL, Goff QBed the offense that finished first in scoring. Calling Goff "Alex Smith" is an insult.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

In his 13 years in the NFL, Smith has never QBed an offense that finished top 5 in scoring. In his second year in the NFL, Goff QBed the offense that finished first in scoring. Calling Goff "Alex Smith" is an insult.

Chill my boy. My comment wasnt clear or complete. What I was thinking but didnt think anybody cared to hear was I think they have similar ways of delivering the ball. Kind of a "baseball-like" circular arm motion - which I dont think delivers a tight/hard ball in the NFL.

Now - if thats an insult. Oh well. Cant be helped.

One thing Goff will never have is the athleticism of Wentz. But I am not sure Wentz will ever have the athleticism of Wentz after week 17. I hope he does. He is a ton of fun to watch. He is like a more athletic Roethlesberger. Large enough and strong enough that he can't be pulled down by arm tackles. Lot's of shifting in the pocket to extend plays. Lots of pump fakes to throw off/draw coverage. And he can pull it down and run with devastating effect.

Goff isn't that kind of player. He is more cerebral. He has to do his shifting and improvising at the line. He has to make quick reads. Rapid progression. Quick breakdown and quick release. His type of play is boring in comparison. But it moves the chains just as effectively. And, theoretically, lends itself to a healthier (longer) career.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Chill my boy. My comment wasnt clear or complete. What I was thinking but didnt think anybody cared to hear was I think they have similar ways of delivering the ball. Kind of a "baseball-like" circular arm motion - which I dont think delivers a tight/hard ball in the NFL.

I don't see it. You can see a number of throws on this video:

Looks like a standard, quick motion to me.

2 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

One thing Goff will never have is the athleticism of Wentz. But I am not sure Wentz will ever have the athleticism of Wentz after week 17. I hope he does. He is a ton of fun to watch. He is like a more athletic Roethlesberger. Large enough and strong enough that he can't be pulled down by arm tackles. Lot's of shifting in the pocket to extend plays. Lots of pump fakes to throw off/draw coverage. And he can pull it down and run with devastating effect.

Goff isn't that kind of player. He is more cerebral. He has to do his shifting and improvising at the line. He has to make quick reads. Rapid progression. Quick breakdown and quick release. His type of play is boring in comparison. But it moves the chains just as effectively. And, theoretically, lends itself to a healthier (longer) career.

That's one reason why I take Goff. His game should age incredibly well.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Looks like an Alex Smith delivery to me. Go figure.

Okay. Well, nothing I will say will change your mind, but I don't see it. Smith holds the ball lower and has a longer draw due to where he starts the motion. Goff has a much more efficient motion due to his short draw. There's nothing circular about his motion.

It's not like a romo-level of compact motion, but it's pretty standard it looks like?  There are throws that could maybe have used a bit more zip on them but that looks to be more that he could be getting more torque with his hips/feet rather than a problem with his arm motion.

2 minutes ago, Bobikus said:

It's not like a romo-level of compact motion, but it's pretty standard it looks like?  There are throws that could maybe have used a bit more zip on them but that looks to be more that he could be getting more torque with his hips/feet rather than a problem with his arm motion.

As I recall, when they clocked it, it was above average (like 0.37 vs. a 0.40 average). Actually, I found it:

http://www.espn.com.br/video/594969_goff-x-wentz-sport-science-analisa-os-2-principais-quarterbacks-do-draft-da-nfl

Oddly enough, I can't find the English version of the video. xD

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Goffs thowing motion isn't really anything like Alex Smiths. 

Smith- https://youtu.be/4S2BipEf2IY?t=204

Goff- https://youtu.be/DalbsyK59K8?t=37

Alex Smith, even with greatly improved mechanics compared to his college days, still wastes a lot of motion. He drops his elbow, drops the ball, has this odd wind up. Goff really doesnt have any of that. 

On 7/30/2018 at 10:16 PM, Leader said:

Literally made the face of your avatar after I read that. 

17 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

But I am not sure Wentz will ever have the athleticism of Wentz

It remains to be seen, but reports are out of camp, that his mobility looks just fine right now. He still needs to get back his accuracy a bit but he could play tomorrow if we absolutely needed him to.

Archived