Jared Goff vs Carson Wentz

patriotsheatyan

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Ugh last offseason it was that ridiculous Wentz vs Dak.

Now we got to deal with this mess in every thread.

You are free to take Goff if you want. You are also free to be wrong.

Maybe Wentz vs Foles? One has a SB ring and a MVP for the title game and we know can make it a full season.

*Starts doing pushups, jumping jacks, and some stretching in preparation of the onslaught of anger about to be rained down on me from irate Rams fans*

My answer is Wentz, of course. I believe in my heart of hearts that while both teams are happy with their QBs, that the Rams deep down would rather have Wentz as their QB. 

First off, the injury thing is getting annoyingly overplayed. Anytime anyone mentions Wentz, they act like hes DeShaun Watson who has had knee problems almost every year dating back to college. Wentz had a weird injury in college IIRC. Some hand injury. And then he broke some ribs his rookie year in preseason, yet still played in every game in the regular season. He tore his ACL when he got hit in a weird way when he was diving in the EZ. I just dont see why all of a sudden, after one flukey ACL, Wentz is some injury prone player. 

And as for my initial statement.....I think Wentz is truly a player who has and will win games completely on his own even if his team isnt playing well, who elevates his teammates around him, who can make things happen when the gameplan goes to ish and things break down. But he is also a terrific pocket passer who has the size, the footwork, awareness, etc to step up in the pocket and throw downfield or to run fast paced offenses like McVays, he just happens to be an incredible and gifted playmaker whose ability to turn broken plays into 60 yard tuddies rivals that of only A-Rod and Russell Wilson IMO.. 

Meanwhile, Goff is great for a team that has a great system in place, with players who can make plays on their own, etc. I just dont think Goffs football IQ is as high as people claim it to be. Ive read extensively and also went back and watched film, and after doing so I believe 100% that McVay is the one who tells Goff when to audible, what to audible to, what reads to look for based on the defense on any given play, etc. I hate the term "system QB" when it comes to the NFL. Because in the NFL you can't have more than just mediocre success if you dont have talent and good/great qualities that allow you to thrive in said system. I think McVay is someone who wants to have total control on offense and, I am looking for a different way to phrase this but I can't so here goes: Wants ideally a yes man QB who isnt going to throw a wrench into his game plan by rolling out on broken down plays, evading defenders, and sort of just improvising according to the context of the game. So in a way, I think Goff is almost ideal for McVay but deep down McVay is an incredibly smart offensive mind and I dont think hes sk stubborn that hed pass on a generational talent like Wentz because of his own ego.

I look at Goff and I see Matt Ryan in a way. 

I look at Wentz and Im reminded of Rodgers. 

16 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

*Starts doing pushups, jumping jacks, and some stretching in preparation of the onslaught of anger about to be rained down on me from irate Rams fans*

It's more likely you receive an onslaught of laughter from amused Rams fans. xD

My answer is Wentz, of course. I believe in my heart of hearts that while both teams are happy with their QBs, that the Rams deep down would rather have Wentz as their QB. 

Availability means everything. I expect Wentz reminds them a bit too much of Sam Bradford. And that's without even getting to the reasons why I'd rather have Goff based on play.

6 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

If the system argument gets used - Eagles fans/those making that case would then admit that McVay’s a better offensive mind than Pederson, right? 

They also called Brady a “system” quarterback. If a “system” quarterback means winning multiple SBs and SB MVPs then give me the system QB all day and twice on Sundays! 

You could argue Wentz is a system qb, solely because there is evidence of another qb having success within the same system.

So no, I wouldn’t say McVay is a better offensive mind, nor would I say vice versa at this point.  They are both way too early into their careers. Same  with Goff/Wentz.

If I had to choose I would lean Wentz though.  I think he’s been the better player on tape and more galvanizing teammate so far.  However, I feel bad for Goff having to waste his rookie year with Fisher. 

eI'm probably bias here but it's Wentz for me. He got injured on a freak accident where he was hit from both sides- every qb in the NFL would have torn their acl on that hit, but how many would get back up and throw a TD pass the next play? Someone mentioned he was injured last year too.. he missed 0 regular season games despite being one of he most sacked(or pressured?) qbs in the league that year. In college he broke his hand or wrist (I dont want to look up the exact specifics). His playing style is aggressive but it works for him, as he matures more he will take less risks and be a phenomenal qb. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, Yin-Yang said:

If the system argument gets used - Eagles fans/those making that case would then admit that McVay’s a better offensive mind than Pederson, right? 

both are pretty great. 

Archived