Jared Goff vs Carson Wentz

patriotsheatyan

Wentz had both a better rookie and sophomore campaign than Goff. I think up to this point he has clearly been the better player, but it's not by a major gap, and going forward you have to factor in that Wentz is nearly a full 2 years older than Goff and coming off a major knee injury (not a big deal for most QBs, but for Wentz to be special, he needs his legs), which all but closes the gap. Definitely close, and I expect this to be a hot debate for years to come as they will be the faces of the QB position.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% still taking Wentz, but I am obviously biased here.

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Wentz had both a better rookie and sophomore campaign than Goff. I think up to this point he has clearly been the better player, but it's not by a major gap, and going forward you have to factor in that Wentz is nearly a full 2 years older than Goff and coming off a major knee injury (not a big deal for most QBs, but for Wentz to be special, he needs his legs), which all but closes the gap. Definitely close, and I expect this to be a hot debate for years to come as they will be the faces of the QB position.

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% still taking Wentz, but I am obviously biased here.

I always hate QB that needs legs to perform well. Even if they are very good, they tend to be injured often and doesn't last long. And if they can't use the legs anymore, they had to learn how to play pocket and that take time. 

If i  had to chose between a pocket QB and a mobile QB, i will always take the pocket QB. In this case, i will take Goff. 

43 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I always hate QB that needs legs to perform well. Even if they are very good, they tend to be injured often and doesn't last long. And if they can't use the legs anymore, they had to learn how to play pocket and that take time. 

If i  had to chose between a pocket QB and a mobile QB, i will always take the pocket QB. In this case, i will take Goff. 

I don't think Wentz needs his leg to perform well, he knows how to pass from the pocket.... but if he's to be the type of special QB we saw glimpses of throughout 2017, he'll need that scrambling ability.

While Carson Wentz' statistics did not live up to the eye test there were some plays he made last year that I don't think anyone else but Aaron Rodgers could make. Wentz's season was such an enigma when you throw on the tape versus the production. There were so many plays that did not do his production justice. But then there were a lot where a routine throw got turned into a TD or he tossed it to a wide open guy in the End Zone. That said, his season was monumentally better than Goff's and those throws that didn't necessarily show up on the stat sheet are why I'm taking him.

I’ve said this from the time the Rams traded up to get the 1st overall pick that I’m fine with either player. I know it sounds like a cop out but I have Goff 1a and Wentz 1b. If I’m nitpicking though, I’ll give the edge to Goff just because I’m nervous about the playing style of Wentz. He has already suffered two knee injuries. I can even say the same for Watson who has suffered the same fate. At least Watson suffered one knee injury during practice non contact. Wentz is getting hit and suffering his injuries. I’ve even heard that the injury he suffered against the Rams was worst than most people think. The best ability is availability. Goff isn’t going to be constantly scrambling around like Wentz will. Coincidencally the only injury Goff suffered that forced him to miss a game in his rookie season was him scrambling and getting hit hard by Sherman while he was trying to get out of bounds. So like that’s the only concern I have about Wentz is his playing style of running around so much and not being smart like we see from Wilson. I just hope Wentz can learn how to be more smart and not playing reckless at times when he drops back and decides to run around because he is no good to the team if he is sidelined.

7 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don't think Wentz needs his leg to perform well, he knows how to pass from the pocket.... but if he's to be the type of special QB we saw glimpses of throughout 2017, he'll need that scrambling ability.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and for this reason, until we know Wentz is 100% healthy with scrambling ability intact, I'm going with Goff.  This is obviously subject to change. 

Wentz has had two injuries in two years. 

# ribs in the preseason ast year, then a shredded knee. 

goff has had 1 concussion. 

both currently have great o-coordinators. 

Goff relies on his passing

Wentz passes very we but also has an amazing physical skill set. 

due to injuries im taking Goff. in a vacum without injuries Im taking Wentz. 

Archived