2018 Training Camp Thread

Woz

40 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Not sure about Mo Harris as a complete package, but he can go up and Moss people. Given Jay’s love of the red zone fade, seems worthy of a roster spot for that alone.

What intrigues me most about him is the fact that Gruden recently called him our best route-runner.  If that's true, there's not a lot he's missing to make him a complete package: great hands, great leaping ability, and apparently our best route-runner.

Not good that Lauvao continues to have ankle troubles. Good thing they have more talent at OL, of course most of that is OT talent, not interior OL talent. I hope they play Nsekhe at LG during the preseason to evaluate him more there.

5 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

What intrigues me most about him is the fact that Gruden recently called him our best route-runner.  If that's true, there's not a lot he's missing to make him a complete package: great hands, great leaping ability, and apparently our best route-runner.

He probably would’ve had a bigger role last year if he hadn’t sprained his knee and missed almost all of camp. When that happened he really didn’t get a chance to compete with Ryan Grant who, I think Harris is better than.

15 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Well that would be great. Only issue is it is robbing Peter to pay Paul (since it sounds like Geron Christian is playing ... well ... like a rookie). Still it gives the team some viability up front.

14 hours ago, mar29020 said:

really i think its stupid to keep rob over perine. perine is like a bowling ball. the coaches just give up on players sometimes and act like they cant develop him. perine has much more natural talent.

Do not take my earlier agreement with turtle to be that I thought it was necessarily the right call. Just that I thought it was the most likely call given Gruden's love of Rob.

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m with ya. Callahan gushed over Lavaou which I’m sure was a reason they re-signed him. I think he’ll be the guy until he isn’t. 

He hasn't been "the guy" for at least two years, just the body they started at left guard.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Not good that Lauvao continues to have ankle troubles. Good thing they have more talent at OL, of course most of that is OT talent, not interior OL talent. I hope they play Nsekhe at LG during the preseason to evaluate him more there.

Have no real choice with Lauvao, Kalis, and Catalint out. Running out of even camp bodies at this point.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

He hasn't been "the guy" for at least two years, just the body they started at left guard.

We’re on the same page. I don’t want people to get their hopes up that Lauvao won’t start because if Callahan likes him, it’s likely he’ll start.

I love reading these updates, even the little quick hitter Twitter observations. Keep them coming, you guys are the real MVPs for finding and posting this stuff.

A couple thoughts I have:

▪️ I’m probably the biggest Scandrick fan here (as a slot CB at least), but I love seeing that Danny Johnson is pushing him for that role. It takes a certain type of skillset to play position well, and it would be huge for us to have a potential long-term replacement for what we lost in Fuller. 

▪️ I hate to say it, because I like the guy, but it feels like it’s starting to get to that “this guy might not ever get there” point with Josh Doctson. This year is absolutely critical for him to make the leap from talented but really inconsistent to (at least) quality starter — and it continues to be just one thing after another popping up with him. Not feeling great at this point about him.

▪️ One of the things that has to be taken into account in terms of the race for the WR4-WR6 spots is special teams. Last year, our two most active (non-returner) WRs on ST were Brian Quick and Ryan Grant. Grant is obviously gone, and if we’re talking about Quinn and Harris and Davis for the 4-6 spots, then we’ll have to replace Quick on the ST units as well. 

▪️ Not that it’s a big surprise during training camp, when everything is always coming up roses, but I love everything I’m hearing about Alex Smith. The big problem I always had with Kirk was his mentality — never any urgency to his tempo, no ability (or authority, perhaps) to change plays either aggressively or defensively, and always just adequate communication with his receivers and others it seemed like. Smith seems to be striking all the right notes in those intangible areas of being an NFL QB so far. 

▪️It seems like a real logjam at ILB at this point. I don’t see how they can keep more than 5 — but that would leave at least two of Spaight, SDH, JHC, Vigil, and Robertson off the roster. I’m fine with letting Vigil go, and I suspect they will be as well, but it sounds like Robertson is turning heads. I would hate to lose SDH, as I think he’s got starting ILB upside in the long haul if he continues to recover that athleticism/explosion. 

▪️ I really wish we could get more updates on the OL play. I know it’s tough to evaluate that in this sort of setting, but that’s really going to be the biggest key/question mark for this offense. If we get even adequate play from LG and C, it’ll be a top 10 OL if the three mainstays remain healthy. But we need someone to step up into that LG role (or we need to make a roster move), and it’s absolutely flummoxing me that I haven’t seen Chase Roullier’s name in a single update yet. That guy is going to be crucial to our success this year, we need to know how he’s looking!

▪️ I think Perine and Fat Rob both make it, but it would be really interesting/telling (about Guice, about CT, about the offense as a whole) if one of them got cut and they kept Bibbs or Marshall. Of the two, I’d keep Perine without much hesitation. Fat Rob will always be just one touch of a button on Jay’s speed dial away if we need him. Or we can just throw up the “Fat” Signal and he’ll be there in our time of need. 

▪️ I’ve said this before, but while I find DJ Swearinger really annoying, he really is the kind of “annoying” that every defense needs a bit of. Our defenses have been too damn nice over the past two decades really, aside from when Sean was back there intimidating the bejeezus out of people. And even he did it quietly for the most part. Swearinger brings an edge with his hits and with his mouth, and I think both of them help to elevate his teammates a little.

▪️ Haven’t seen much about Pernell McPhee yet. I think he’s an important piece of the defense, we really need to be able to get some pass-rush out of the reserve OLBs. As much as I don’t care for the guy, I’d be considering giving Junior Galette a call if they start to feel like McPhee and Anderson won’t be able to provide some of that 3rd-and-long heat on opposing QBs.

▪️ Lastly, I’m getting really excited for our DL. I don’t want to say too much about it, because I’m sure doing so would instantly jinx them. But the idea of a top 5 of Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Lanier, and Settle — with Lanier being the oldest of that group at a grizzled 25 years old — has me feeling pretty good. If Allen and Payne prove to be what I think they can be, that DL could wreck people. 

Archived