Training Camp

Rockice_8

52 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Teddy will get his chance to start again.  It just won't be here.  While I don't envision him as better than average at best he did lead his team to the playoffs.  He only took a 500k deal because of the knee and it's more than that if he makes the roster.  Once it's proven healthy he'll get his chance.  Hopefully it's with another team and we can land a pick for him.

Just for the record, the 500,000 is all that was guaranteed when he signed the contract. According to OTC, Teddy’s salary is 6 million with up to another 9 million worth of incentives based on playing time etc. As I understand it, if he just makes the roster and never plays, he gets the 6m. 

59 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I have to agree.  While I'm not as down on Winters and think him and Beach are our two best OL guys when healthy I do agree the OL is not as good as I thought.

Carp is fish out of water and was not good last year.  Hoping that was product of Johnson playing next to him though.  

We have a chance to be average if everything goes well but Long has struggled some and Beachum is in a walking boot. 

We will only go as far as the OL takes us offensively.  I like the weapons and Darnold so if the OL can be average we'll be close to .500.  If they struggle then we will be 5-6 wins most likely.

Not disagreeing, but where have you heard Long has been struggling  im just curious. I for one was slightly underwelmed with the Long signing because i thought we could have done better. Trading down for Stewart and leaving Pat Eifein.

27 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Not disagreeing, but where have you heard Long has been struggling  im just curious. I for one was slightly underwelmed with the Long signing because i thought we could have done better. Trading down for Stewart and leaving Pat Eifein.

Heard he had quite a few bad snaps in shotgun and some issues exchanging the snap under center too.  Nothing too crazy this early but he also isn't a world beater at center either.  Even at his best he is pretty average.  You look across the board at every position except maybe LT and RT (more RT because we just don't know how good he is yet) but Beachum at his best could possibly be above average as could Shell (more so because he's unknown and flashed talent).  Nowhere else on the line can you say we have above average talent at their best even Carp in this new scheme is average.

Most likely if all goes perfect we have maybe a top 20 OL (average) but if injuries hit we could be in trouble.

Mac has move around fixing the secondary, QB, weapons, DL etc since he time here and slowly things in those areas are improving.  Next up this offseason is OL.  At least 1-2 draft picks (preferably 1 in the top 2 rounds) and at least 1 higher echelon FA should be the goal to help Sam. 

For now just have to hope for the best that things go well and we can at least keep Sam safe.

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Heard he had quite a few bad snaps in shotgun and some issues exchanging the snap under center too.  Nothing too crazy this early but he also isn't a world beater at center either.  Even at his best he is pretty average.  You look across the board at every position except maybe LT and RT (more RT because we just don't know how good he is yet) but Beachum at his best could possibly be above average as could Shell (more so because he's unknown and flashed talent).  Nowhere else on the line can you say we have above average talent at their best even Carp in this new scheme is average.

Most likely if all goes perfect we have maybe a top 20 OL (average) but if injuries hit we could be in trouble.

Mac has move around fixing the secondary, QB, weapons, DL etc since he time here and slowly things in those areas are improving.  Next up this offseason is OL.  At least 1-2 draft picks (preferably 1 in the top 2 rounds) and at least 1 higher echelon FA should be the goal to help Sam. 

For now just have to hope for the best that things go well and we can at least keep Sam safe.

Yeah we need to really jack up that offensive line next year. Going into the offseason, we have a lot of money to throw around to improve the line and pass rush and potentially get Darnold another big time target. The next couple of years are going to be a lot of fun if we can keep the boy from getting hurt. 

Ya the OL I haven't heard much about. Only thing I've heard is that Harrison has looked pretty decent and versatile. But that doesn't mean he will be a starter for us. But that's really the only news I've heard in any positive way about the OL.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya the OL I haven't heard much about. Only thing I've heard is that Harrison has looked pretty decent and versatile. But that doesn't mean he will be a starter for us. But that's really the only news I've heard in any positive way about the OL.

At this point in time it sure looks like the O line is our biggest concern right now. The Jets have done very little in the off season to improve it. No matter who the starting QB will be to start the season he will have problems with the O line.  I have no idea how the Jets can improve the O line before the season starts.

Mac has been methodically addressing areas of need. The Secondary, QBs, WRs, and TEs typically take more time to develop and hit full stride (these have a potential to be strong groups for us).  Thankfully the O-line can be turned around quickly and addressed next year with a couple guys.  (see the LA rams last year) 

What I wouldn't give to have that 2009 Jet offensive line. D'brickshaw Ferguson,  Alan Faneca,  Nick Mangold,   Brandon Moore,  Damiem Woody. That probably was the best O line in their history.  The 2019 offseason has to be all about the O line, whether thru the draft or the FA's period.

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

How's Clive Walford looking for you guys in camp? He was a guy who looked to have a lot of promise initially in Oakland. I know the Jets TE position is wide open. Is he making the team?

From all accounts, he looks decent. The issue for Walford is that all 4 TEs have looked decent. The starting job is tight between Walford, Sterling, and Herndon. And everyone always seems to pencil Tomlinson as our 3rd TE. It’s Too close to call at the moment.

3 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

This guy is hilariously slow. Dude must be a great blocker or something to keep making rosters.

If it were me, I’d break camp with Walford, Sterling and Herndon. But Bowles seems to love Tomlinson. Herndon and Walford are good blockers too.

Archived