#PaidDiggs!

SemperFeist

It puts him as the 9th highest paid WR. By the time the contract is at its end he'll probably won't even be in the top 15 highest paid WR. So i think its a pretty good deal for the Vikes. Plus it gives Diggs life changing money as well and it gives him another chance at a market deal later because he's only 24 right now. The only thing I'm worried about is if Thielen decides to holdout next year because we got him so cheap. He'll want to get paid too.

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Except that when Adams got his money, he only had 1 year of decent performance and 2 non-descript ones, while Diggs has been far more consistent, despite the injuries.  Adams' deal is still baffling to me.  

Not accurate. Adams got his deal at the end of last season (after two good seasons). Not sure what baffles you.

30 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Diggs has been more productive per game in every way except TDs, playing with a dog’s breakfast of QBs on a run-heavy (especially in the red zone) team. 

Over the past couple years? Which "ways"? Davante had more yard both seasons. I really only see Diggs bettering him in YPC and # of catches one year each.  And TD's are kind of important... especially when you lead the league over that period and double the amount Diggs had.

I know 2 years is kind of arbitrary but that's really when Davante became a big part of the Packers offense.

22 minutes ago, DocHambone said:

Over the last two seasons they have been fairly comparable statistical players. 

Right, which is why I used Adams as a comparable for Diggs’ contract in that article Packers fans apparently want to comment on without reading. 

The point is that Adams’ contract should be the floor for Diggs not because Diggs is better (though his stats are in fact better, and his film grades and analytics stats are better too) but because the cap is going up. So even a dollar-for-dollar identical deal is effectively a 7-8% discount. 

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Over the past couple years? Which "ways"? Davante had more yard both seasons. I really only see Diggs bettering him in YPC and # of catches one year each.  And TD's are kind of important... especially when you lead the league over that period and double the amount Diggs had.

I know 2 years is kind of arbitrary but that's really when Davante became a big part of the Packers offense.

There was supposed to be an image attached to that post. It showed up in my post editor but not when I clicked submit for some reason. Click through to the article and scroll down to the PFR tables. Diggs has more receptions per game and more yards per game. Very similar though slightly lower TDs per game. 

Diggs also has better DYAR, YPRR, WR rating, PFF grades, contested catch percentage, drop percentage, and success rate vs man and zone coverage. 

27 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Except that when Adams got his money, he only had 1 year of decent performance and 2 non-descript ones, while Diggs has been far more consistent, despite the injuries.  Adams' deal is still baffling to me.  

1 year, huh? As in 2017? Also, Adams has missed games due to injuries too. I think you're judging him without being too familiar with his play.

If you like less yards, 1/4 the TDs, and less YPC, sure Diggs was more consistent beyond 2017.

Adams: 

Catches: 75

Yards: 997

YPC: 13.3

TDs: 12

Diggs:

Catches: 84

Yards: 903

YPC: 10.8

TDs: 3

Just now, SemperFeist said:

You keep ignoring the fact that Krause is speaking in terms of per game average. 

Yep. But the issue I have is comparing the contracts when you are using their whole career to 'judge' player X vs player Y. In this case its pretty clear that Adams did not get paid based on his first two years in the league. In fact, he was pretty bad. Adams got paid on what he did these past two seasons. 

So yes, Diggs has had a higher per game avg for their careers because Diggs has been better over the course of their young careers. However, when you project and look at contacts its pretty easy to see that Adams got paid based on what he showed the past two seasons. In those seasons they are very comparable players, with Adams probably having the slight edge.

Does what I'm saying make sense?

Regardless, I don't want to hijack your thread anymore. This is a good contract deal for you guys. You should be happy. 

Packers fans want to give Adams a pass for 2015 but there was nothing stopping him from being GB's WR1 that year -- Nelson was out, Cobb was playing hurt, and the only other option was James Jones, who could hardly run. 

Diggs became the Vikings WR1 in 2015 as a 5th round pick rookie. Led the team (which included Wallace, Wright and Rudolph) with receiving yards by nearly 50% (Diggs 720, next closest Rudolph at 495) despite being a healthy scratch for the first 3 games. 

Comparing just the last 3 years, 2015-17: 

• Adams: 43 games, 332 targets, 199 receptions, 2365 yards, 23 TDs
  • Diggs: 40 games, 291 targets, 200 receptions, 2472 yards, 15 TDs

Those are Adams' 2nd-4th seasons at ages 23-25 vs Diggs 1st-3rd seasons at ages 22-24.

Adams has more TDs but Diggs is otherwise a little better per game and noticeably better per target.

Adams had Rodgers as his starting QB for 36 of those 43 games, Hundley for 7. Diggs had 13 games with Bridgewater, 1 with Hill, 14 with Bradford, and 12 with Keenum. 

In those seasons they are very comparable players, with Adams probably having the slight edge.

Again, Diggs has the better DYAR, YPRR, WR rating, PFF grades, contested catch percentage, drop percentage, and success rate vs man and zone coverage. 

Literally the only thing Adams has over Diggs is scoring more TDs playing all but 7 games of his career with the best QB in the world.

Archived